wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing

Sherri.

Absolutepunk.com

They care a lot.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
gundamit
Golly, Poster

I'm a Sherri fan but I haven't flipped through her blog in quite some time. That post is swimming in a sea of reposts, cute pics and a few quick glimpses into Sherri's world. I'd like to encourage her to keep writing even if falls into a the rant/venting category. Why deny her the privilege and pleasure of the rant that the rest of us enjoy?

I'm glad to hear the principle parties involved five years ago have moved on. I'd be surprised if they hadn't given their current circumstances. Obviously her post was directed at a very small group of people who couldn't figure it out on their own. No reason for those who weren't the small target audience to get bent over style or substance. Assigning Sherri a grade level on her post as though it were a school essay is a bit ridiculous.

Maybe some people want Sherri to keep an even lower profile. That would be a shame as it seems next year Sherri and the rest of Eisley will be entering into an interesting phase professionally and personally.

Last edited by gundamit on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, Sherri's like the Buttercup of Eisley, the spunky one. I like everyone in the band, but always saw her as the "leader" which threw me off when I didn't know who was singing what at first and watched Marvelous Thing and actually watched the video instead of zoning out to that wonderful song, and realized she was only harmonizing and singing the chorus. It (that she was a spokesperson sort of leader and not just the Frontperson in every sense at all times) didn't compute at that point, but I "got it" eventually. It was just tricky in the old days cause from 03' through 05' all I had to go on were Marvelous Things and Laughing City and 1 video I'd seen Once on Fuse or Subterranean and a couple of times online.

Once I got more familiar with the band members, saw them live, and got active on here and got to hear other people's anecdotes about the band and their little vignettes on youtube etc. I started to see Sherri on the same level as Natalie Maines (Pasdar... as in Adrian? Who knew?!? Shocked ) in terms of being the de facto Extravert-type Audience engagement person. The best bands have one guy like that, who is their Mouthpiece, even if they aren't a vocalist. A lot allow the vocalist to take on that role, for better or worse.

They are all so talented, but at times I think they've been cast as, and embraced a contrary/ introverted image. But the vibe I get from them in what they share is normality. As a group, and a family they seem grounded/ down to earth/ easy to relate to, well-adjusted, at least to me as a Gen-X Midwesterner from a mini-major city surrounded by "suburbiandustrializing" "agriculturerural" America.

Not to offend anyone, but I've spent more than half my 36 years around alienated people from "the Flyover States" who identified with, and desperately wanted to be someone from/ somewhere else, with more culture, more appreciation for it. Many of these people held others with talent in high regard and openly wondered what they were doing in this part of the country, why hadn't they left yet, gone somewhere to make it.

That particular bent was hard for me to take, because I knew people who resented the "nesswardback" of people around here, and were perplexed when someone unsophisticated was capable of some skill or craft they admired or aspired toward. Ironically a lot of those same people embraced counter-cultures that resented certain levels of sophistication and ornamentation and became more populist in their politics. It was good for some, as they learned to appreciate some of the "wardback" ways of our region, but then there were those who just try things on like a seasonal outfit and move on, gaining no respect or reverence for the culture, and more so the people associated with it. Some of those people ended up exposing just how prejudice they were with their inability to accept people who fit whatever "scene" or "counter-culture" doing something that didn't fit their ideal of it ( I was one of those prejudice people). Some of the people sniping her sound like that type. Given her artistic talent with illustration, photography, and musically, her sway over high profile men many girls crushed hard on, and guys were jealous of in the Y2ks, it's fair to say she's envied as much as she's admired. Maybe just maybe, some people want to hold a person of her talent to the same standard with their personal diatribes as they do their other, more artistic output?

I might be wrong for this, but a lot of the harshness about the craft of Sherri's writing voice and perspective on the matter strikes me as ironic. When I read it, on one level I took it all as a lark, because the language she used, the things she sighted that people would use to accuse her of XYZ regarding Hailey etc... her even addressing them with that language in that way just struck me as something some of my smart *$$ friends would do satirically to insult Youngish folk that get on their nerves, talking in their own terms and mocking how petty and naive their views were. Taken that way, Sherri was pretty wicked, and went over the heads of most of her detractors, which is partially the aim satire: to get back at the offenders without them "getting it".

Maybe I'm giving her too much credit, but I think otherwise. Being someone who struggles with getting satire, or going the opposite direction and taking everything with a grain of salt, to me, it sounds like she outed two contingencies of people which are notorious for get on other people's nerves:

People who take things personally and hold grudges half-cocked and ill informed.

People with no sense of humor that are critical of everything contrary with their opinion.

As someone who's been the tail end of a Horse more often than I'm comfortable with in matters such as this, I can totally see this as, incidental or intentional, Sherri jabbing back at the folks that have been jabbing at her, and her life/ life's work for over a decade. To me she sounded like someone who's embraced adulthood, and is finally sick of the kiddie BS, but trying to say so in a way that doesn't sound completely judgmental and like they are scolding a child... but it came out anyway, and couldn't be masked with slang and web-engrish.

If she had posted "Grow the F' up and move the F' on." that would have come off angry and inappropriate. That's really how it read to me in the end. A coy, cutting, "F' Off."

She's the one who wrote/ sang "Make up your God... Given mind."

You know what she wanted to say, what she was implying... really felt. But she knew she didn't have to go there just because she wanted to. She got her point across without saying it.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:
Assigning Sherri a grade level on her post as though it was a school essay is a bit ridiculous.

True dat. It read exactly like Sherri to me--open, frank, and candid, taking no crap but still managing to laugh about it in her infinite grace. I wouldn't expect or ask for anything else.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I saw Sherri's post and felt sad for anyone who thought that stuff still mattered. Attacking the technical qualities of her writing is a pathetic tactic for anyone who disagrees with her.

Yup, I'm glad to be so unplugged from this stuff these days. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CBmp3
Sea Post King

I read it and thought what she was trying to convey was perfectly clear. There might have been some grammatical errors or spelling errors or whatever, but she wasn't writing her thesis, so I think people need to get a grip. I read all of the comments on those punk news sites and couldn't believe all the mean comments towards her and what she wrote. I'd really like to think that I'm not biased here, but when I was reading these peoples' comments it just seemed that they were putting words into her mouth and perceiving things from what she wrote that I didn't see at all.

weird to me.

so many people try to make something out of things, when they could just give people the benefit of the doubt...and be kind human beings. there's no need for that stuff.

[sigh] keep it real, Sherri. good for you.

Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

gundamit wrote:
I'm a Sherri fan but I haven't flipped through her blog in quite some time. That post is swimming in a sea of reposts, cute pics and a few quick glimpses into Sherri's world. I'd like to encourage her to keep writing even if falls into a the rant/venting category. Why deny her the privilege and pleasure of the rant that the rest of us enjoy?

I'm glad to hear the principle parties involved five years ago have moved on. I'd be surprised if they hadn't given their current circumstances. Obviously her post was directed at a very small group of people who couldn't figure it out on their own. No reason for those who weren't the small target audience to get bent over style or substance. Assigning Sherri a grade level on her post as though it were a school essay is a bit ridiculous.

Maybe some people want Sherri to keep an even lower profile. That would be a shame as it seems next year Sherri and the rest of Eisley will be entering into an interesting phase professionally and personally.

I totally agree! I understand Sherri's frustration, feel badly that she has to defend herself against small-minded people, and I greatly admire her honesty. I'm always interested in what Sherri has to say, and I wish her all the best !

Vriana
Sea Post King

He he