Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Doctors often move the due date up a week or two early (basing it on the date of the pregnant woman's last period). This also makes it easier to say "Whoops, you're way late--let's get you induced!" That's not supposed to be the motive, but sometimes it is. In any case, when I finally got my insurance to recognize my midwife and stopped seeing an OB/GYN (twenty-eight weeks into my pregnancy), she moved my due date two weeks later based on the amount of time I'd actually been pregnant and not the amount of time since my last period, and I went into labor right on time according to her estimate.

For most people this isn't a big deal, unless you live in Arizona and need an abortion, or live in one of several states where women who haven't given birth yet at 42 weeks (which I would have been if I'd stuck with my OB's due date) are required by law to have a hospital birth. Just saying, due dates can be just as arbitrary. Mitigating circumstances aside, 40 weeks from the date of conception is the amount of time a person needs to stay pregnant for optimal baby health.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

...are required by law to have a hospital birth.
The $#@!? I've been trying to find a list, but no dice.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Doctors often move the due date up a week or two early (basing it on the date of the pregnant woman's last period). This also makes it easier to say "Whoops, you're way late--let's get you induced!" That's not supposed to be the motive, but sometimes it is. In any case, when I finally got my insurance to recognize my midwife and stopped seeing an OB/GYN (twenty-eight weeks into my pregnancy), she moved my due date two weeks later based on the amount of time I'd actually been pregnant and not the amount of time since my last period, and I went into labor right on time according to her estimate.

For most people this isn't a big deal, unless you live in Arizona and need an abortion, or live in one of several states where women who haven't given birth yet at 42 weeks (which I would have been if I'd stuck with my OB's due date) are required by law to have a hospital birth. Just saying, due dates can be just as arbitrary. Mitigating circumstances aside, 40 weeks from the date of conception is the amount of time a person needs to stay pregnant for optimal baby health.

That's good info, and brings up another reason I would say go with days:

If predicting due dates requires factoring in the menstrual cycle, which is also irregular for some, (so much so, tracking it by weeks is too wide a measure to trust, given the consequences of not being mindful of its occurrence) we are bound to expand the margin for error.

We've got to start with factoring in the last period to count off from being unreliable, on top of an arbitrary gestation summation of 9 months, or supplant that with 40 weeks, which at least amounts to a static # of days, so long as the conclusion is 40 complete weeks, aka 280 days.

Here's the funny part: if you evenly divide the days of the year across the months you get about 30.4 days a month.

a 9 month pregnancy = 273.6 days

a 40 week pregnancy = 280 days
Saellys wrote:
This. Let's not make pregnancy feel even longer, please.

so... we're 9:36 shy of a week apart in the conventional wisdom on ideal gestation duration. This is starting to sound like that song I have never heard in that play I never intend to view... nevertheless, for me at least, it ends up coming down to days. So yeah, that's why I say just give a range of days and roll with that. I'm all for standard units of measurement. Go Metric!

The wildcard is determining the date of conception. Unless folks are formulaic about their pursuit, or the opportunity for occurrence is unique/ isolated, what can you do? That's just operator error right there.

That Hospital only Law, Confused I'd like to see the rationale/ rhetoric surrounding it. I could see that in China given the infanticide problem they had... but here?

vintage_snowflake wrote:

I mean, weeks are always in groups of seven. That's not inconsistent. Once you starting getting into high, triple digit numbers I feel like it's harder to mentally swallow how long that is, exactly, given that 1. it's pretty irregular to number days singly when they're large enough to be split into the larger units of weeks and months.

besides, that's a little toooo precise. Babies don't pay attention to doctors' estimates. I was born three weeks early! 2. If you have x number of days it feels a little less ballpark-y.

I should have addressed this earlier, cause maybe it would have cleared it up.

So, I highlighted two key things and I am going to relate them to something I said, and what I wrote above:

wilsmith wrote:
By now, I should have said "sometime this month".

But you know, imprecise words and imprecise math should always go together, so I'm reppin' consistency at least Cool

We were talking Months at first, that a new pregnancy picture had been posted and how many months along she was, when she was due. Then 36 weeks was mentioned, then the ideal gestation period of 40 weeks. Months and weeks don't break down equally so you can't talk about them interchangeably.

My saying she was due "Now" got me called out, which lead to the above statement, which was me trying to explain that I understood pregnancy due dates were imprecise, and that we didn't know ourselves when conception occurred so it could be today or any day this month based on common knowledge. Soooo.... I Agreed with you THEN Razz

Now, after being called out on the gross inaccuracy of using "Now" implying "sometime this month" when we were talking in terms of months, then further corrected by the specification of Weeks, in my pragmatic little head I said "Awww to heck with this!" Neutral "You can't mix apples with oranges and I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm going to be hen pecked and hassled when we could all just pick a common measure and cut the crap."

So, as is typical with males, in an effort to mediate miscommunication and frustration, I tried to get technical about something that is by nature, mutable. Just cause.

No mature, true, consistent with the context of the discussion, 100% Wink

I mean well though.

I for one, I'm hoping and praying that they carry all the children to full term and have uneventful labor, and with healthy mother and child to show for it. I also hope the fathers present for the birth and are at least mildly traumatized and humbled at what their wives endure to bring life into the world. They owe their wives the lives of their children in the least, just as they owe their own mothers their own.

I Love Mom

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Saellys wrote:

...are required by law to have a hospital birth.
The $#@!? I've been trying to find a list, but no dice.

Google says Florida and Washington state both prohibit birth center or home deliveries after 42 weeks (and Washington's restrictions on any number of other criteria are seriously wack), and according to Ina May Gaskin, Tennessee does the same.

wilsmith wrote:
so... we're 9:36 shy of a week apart in the conventional wisdom on ideal gestation duration. This is starting to sound like that song I have never heard in that play I never intend to view... nevertheless, for me at least, it ends up coming down to days. So yeah, that's why I say just give a range of days and roll with that. I'm all for standard units of measurement. Go Metric!

When I say make pregnancy feel longer, I mean that counting in days makes this a triple digit prospect, while counting in weeks just sounds a lot more manageable. Imagine for a moment that someone duct taped a basketball full of water to your midsection and told you they'd remove it in either 40 weeks or 280 days. Which sounds longer? Which will feel longer when the motor they put in the basketball starts vibrating randomly through the night? Razz

Also, most pregnancy milestones (fetal movement, first kick, development of various body parts) are estimated in weeks, so it's easier to standardize that stuff relative to the estimated due date.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh, that's fine, totally support that. Let's just not ever bring up Months in regards to pregnancy again, ever. Let's save months for post-birth counting, and then drop that after the the 19th. Strict adehernce at the risk of ostracization for deviation.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Just kidding ...kind of.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just trying to liven the joint up. This place was losing it's edge...

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Haha, it really is. It has been dead for weeks. Well, good news is, Eisley's almost done recording the new album so we'll have more to talk about in the future.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:

Just kidding ...kind of.
Catey
Lost at Forum

At 7:24am little Scarlett was born at home. 7.5 pounds 21 inches. I made it home from tour only 2 hrs before she was born. I'm in heaven. DK

from MuteMath twittter. How lovely!
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
ync
Golly, Poster

ohhh!!!! so exciting Very Happy congrats to both of them - I can't wait for the onslaught of pictures

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

I want pictures SO BADLY.

I'd hate to be sherri, out on tour.... if my sister had a baby I'd wanna see that munchkin STAT.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Very Happy drummer with perfect timing, comes as no surprise. Wonderful News for the King & Dupree families. Congrats to all!

Sidenote: birthday a week before Halloween, here comes a pretty fun. Bunch of childhood birthday memories Wink[/url]

KayDJ
Sea Post King

I had no idea they were planning a home birth. Geez, just when I thought I couldn't love them more Very Happy
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

KayDJ wrote:
I had no idea they were planning a home birth. Geez, just when I thought I couldn't love them more Very Happy

Ditto!

Scarlett also has great timing. She's one year and fourteen hours younger than my baby. Very Happy

Smokemonster