Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

You know how sometimes when you get one song stuck in your head it starts to morph into another song during the process? For some reason, this one keeps turning into The Cold War Kids' "Hospital Beds," in my brain. I think it's because of the "drink the water from the mud, boy" refrain and the "put out the fire on us, boy" part at 1:35 on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alb_OpILAJk.
Vintage Newbie

I'm not worried about who else it sounds like, I just know it's what a finally unimpeded Eisley should sound like.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
I'm not worried about who else it sounds like, I just know it's what a finally unimpeded Eisley should sound like.

I couldn't agree more fully with the second half of that, but I do get really excited about the potential of branching out with other acts on tour. Eisley has had a tendency to tour with acts that almost ruin the billing for me. Just a fraction of my feelings on the subject, though!

Also, my really limited knowledge of technical jargon leads me to rely a lot on comparisons to express my feelings, I think.

Vintage Newbie

That, too, is true. I'm looking forward to a lot less post-emo openers here soon.
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

Urgh. Trying so hard to resist listening to any songs until the album is out. Confused
norad
Vintage Newbie

freakinalex wrote:
Urgh. Trying so hard to resist listening to any songs until the album is out. Confused

I totally forgot I was going to do that. Laughing
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Did anything about the song make anyone think of their musical hero, Jeremy Enigk?

Made me think of OK Bear a little...

Ok, so Radiohead... They were always a bit more cerebral when they got their club on. This is seductive. Back when I did my radio show (which started off as a hip hop "specialty" show on weekends) I would always try and segue into indie & art rock to smooth the transition to the "Underground" "specialty" show that followed me. I relied on Bjork, Portishead, Massive Attack, Jeff Buckley (Everybody Here Wants you FTW) and some other stuff to bridge the racial/ musical divide. This totally fits that.

Cocteau Twins represent that sophisticated 80s take on synth pop that was as close to R & B as anything can be, I think that's a great thread to follow. This has got me thinking of so many things, and I have to give props to this board, cause I heard of some of them here, of at least got confirmation of my taste here. No need to rattle of names though.

Them jamming out is something I think we are all going to grow to love more because of the musical outgrow that will come from it.

What gets me more excited, is thinking of Chauntelle's take on Walking Through The Snow, and how her songs will come out if taken through these same channels stylistically? It's going to be intense everybody, steel yourselves.

Oh, and early MUTEMATH, which I mentioned, and Jeremy Larson's own work deserve a nod. I didn't mention it because it would be obvious, but if you go back and check out some of the groovier stuff (vs. the more orchstral pieces) on his self-title release, Salvation Club, or They Reappear this jibes well with it. I'd even give some attention to Sleeping at Last but that would be A: redundant after mentioning Larson and B: Ryan O'Neal hasn't used as much percussion in his last few releases. When he does, you can hear the connection. Either way, Jeremy Larson has a gift for making complex music palatable sans deep analysis, even though it is definitely reward.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

so long as there's no evanescence comparison... Laughing

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

2nded Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I love it! Cool bass part, beat, soaring vocals, everything. It's more trip-hoppy than I would have imagined they'd ever go. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Last edited by Nowhere Man on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
MichaelMakeArt
Sea Post King

I have to agree as well -- I can hear Eisley's inspirations in this track, but those are thoroughly ingrained sensibilities, not overt references to other artists work. Out of anything Eisley has released so far, this definitely feels both true to them and their history as a band, as well as pretty darn fresh. No other musician came to mind when I first heard this, it feels idiosyncratic. If this is how years of hard work and finesse pays off, I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

I read a similar comment about Patti Smith recently, that through all of her musings about her favorite musicians and poets, everything she created payed homage to her inspirations without feeling contrived or referential. The music was entirely self derived, and I feel like Eisley are there as well.

Side note, I'm digging the reverb/manipulation of Stacy's voice in this track. It's hypnotizing and it accentuates some pretty gorgeous vocals.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Just soaking in new Eisley vibes. I missed this.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Catey
Lost at Forum

I was excited for the album, I'm always excited for new Eisley.

But this has blown my expectations, like woah I am in love with Drink The Water. I can't get enough of it, so much so that I had it on repeat for my entire 20 minute train journey home. I'm just soaking it all in, Stacy's vocals sound gorgeous (duh) but the chorus is lovely too. I just love it all! Can't wait for the end of May now, and for the single next week.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
sully_51
Golly, Poster

Preorder is up now! There's a pretty rockin' bundle available. Smile

http://merchnow.com/search/?q=eisley

norad
Vintage Newbie

sully_51 wrote:
Preorder is up now! There's a pretty rockin' bundle available. Smile

http://merchnow.com/search/?q=eisley

Yeaa! It's a lot but I don't mind because I love Eisley. Very Happy (Although, seriously merchnow are kind of dicks about shipping. Rolling Eyes)

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>