Laughing City
crusso
Sea Post King

They're just mad they didn't think of it first. The fact is, with Kickstarter, if it's going to be funded, it will be because we (the fans) decide to fund it. If we think Eisley is any of those things (they aren't) or is operating out of greed or whatever, then it flat out won't get funded. Plain and simple.

Most of those rewards they're offering are pretty freaking cool too. I'm wishing I had $1,000 or $4,000 to spend right now.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

crusso wrote:
They're just mad they didn't think of it first. The fact is, with Kickstarter, if it's going to be funded, it will be because we (the fans) decide to fund it. If we think Eisley is any of those things (they aren't) or is operating out of greed or whatever, then it flat out won't get funded. Plain and simple.

Most of those rewards they're offering are pretty freaking cool too. I'm wishing I had $1,000 or $4,000 to spend right now.

Exactly my thought! This isn't for people who are just casual listeners. I mean if this were brand new or something, they'd probably be eating it up. Again, nt the worst thing to happen of eisley were to drop their absolute punk ties. Least I don't think so.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I do wonder if $100,000 is too lofty of a goal. Guess we'll see.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i got the ok from someone in the band that what i wanted was ok.

now just on to my company to see if they will approve the $500.00 expenditure.

If so, it will be amazing!!!!

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

if any of y'all can reasonably do the hang out/soundcheck/coffee date one, go for it. i've had this experience (in a different context of course) and it's a great one. I'm aiming for the $60 level, mostly because it's probably less than what I would end up spending on tickets+merch+dinner on show night and I'm not going to this tour. Waiting on some announcements from other musicians etc before I commit, but am ALL for this idea. As a side note, that video is really charming.
boone
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
mr pine wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:
dang, so many people online are giving them $#@! for this!

i dont go to those websites, so what kind of stuff are they saying?

Mostly calling eisley greedy jerks. Saying they don't need that much money, they shouldn't tour with babies, it's their problems, saying they should get jobs, and saying they won't make it. Also some people are calling it a joke and saying they have no respect for the band. Honestly, I doubt half of these people know much about touring or the logistics of the music industry.

I don't understand how selling products and services for money is wrong, greedy, or lazy only if it's on a fundraising website. It's not like they're begging for donations with nothing to show for it.

People are just in so much of a hurry to post their opinions on websites and act like they have some sort of insider knowledge of whatever industry, they don't stop to think if what they say makes any sense.

marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

^ yep.

It bugs me that people still don't understand the difference between charity and kickstarter. I will gladly dish out $61 to get a bunch of new (and old) music from my favorite band, plus a ticket to a Room Noises concert. I'm so excited for that!

It's the same as the backlash over the Veronica Mars kickstarter that happened last month. People don't understand that it's not greedy to ask for the funds to give people a product that they genuinely want to buy. We give Eisley money, and in return, they give us access to more of their music.

People.

Speaking of the demos: I want to know whether we'll get ~new~ old demos, or if it's just going to be...well, you know. I'd almost be more inclined to give them money for the aby-bay out of guilt or whatever... But then there's the part of me that can only afford to donate if I get to finally hear "Lady of the Wood" without a cheering crowd in the background.

http://inconnumag.com
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
they sound like wieners.

fixed Cool

Oh yeah, I personally was hoping Eisley would have gone this route to bankroll their studio and a self-release prior to signing to Equal Vision, but signing with Equal Vision has worked out great because for all parties involved inclusive the extended family who now have niche labels and record deals that didn't before hand.

I have been doing kickstarter for a few years, but not with much regularity. Local stuff, and a couple of national acts. 100K isn't unheard of, but it's daunting when given the time frame and the contentious following the band has inclusive of fans, and other bands fans and those who hover like vultures picking an all to living body. Pledgemusic seems a bit more common with bands I know, but I think they are based out of the UK, or so it would seem. I've had positive experiences with both, only two artists so far have stretched out their time tables and seem as if they don't want to deliver their rewards (albums) but those are the exceptions, not the rule. And Eisley are well established to deliver the goods based on their capacity to pump out merch and music post WB.

All that said, I can only opt in for the EP, I'm spread a little too thin. It would have been great to bundle the album preorder in, but Equal Vision owns that, and as is tradition, touring costs fall on the acts. It's hella easy to Lose money on the road. Even moreso nowadays.

What's funny is, The Narrative did a similar thing as this when they toured with Eisley on the Valleyscapes tour (I think that's what it was called? )

If I have one regret, it's that they didn't break up the Kickstarted into seasonal increments of 33K each, spring, summer, winter, to give them more time. If they don't make it, I hope they bounce back immediately. I'm still butthurt over all the other disappointments they've dealt with in the past.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
norad
Vintage Newbie

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
It bugs me that people still don't understand the difference between charity and kickstarter. I will gladly dish out $61 to get a bunch of new (and old) music from my favorite band, plus a ticket to a Room Noises concert. I'm so excited for that!

It's the same as the backlash over the Veronica Mars kickstarter that happened last month. People don't understand that it's not greedy to ask for the funds to give people a product that they genuinely want to buy. We give Eisley money, and in return, they give us access to more of their music.

People.

Speaking of the demos: I want to know whether we'll get ~new~ old demos, or if it's just going to be...well, you know. I'd almost be more inclined to give them money for the aby-bay out of guilt or whatever... But then there's the part of me that can only afford to donate if I get to finally hear "Lady of the Wood" without a cheering crowd in the background.

This.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

https://www.twitter.com/SDuPreeBemis/status/325367846647513088

Sherri's tweet to me about it.

Also stuff like this reminds me as to why I can't take any of the APs seriously.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The description of the Demos leads me to believe it will be available digitally outside of the Kickstarter.

Wow, still can't believe the RSD 7" hasn't been addressed. I was thinking that they made it one of the Kickstarter items, but no.

marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

I'm really, really bummed about the way they've done the rewards. I think the lack of bundling reward levels will detract a lot of people from pledging. They should absolutely have made it so that EVERY person who donated $1 or more would receive a ticket to the online concert. That just makes so much more sense to me, and it costs them nothing. I understand splitting up the Demos and the EP, and I totally understand making the shirts / cardigans separate, but there should be official options to bundle this stuff. Kickstarter does not easily allow you to send a note to the band saying, "And by the way, the extra dollar I gave you was for the online concert." With a goal as high as $100,000, they're hopefully going to end up with a LOT of backers, and I'm afraid signals will get crossed with reward delivery once all is said and done.

freakinalex
Lost at Forum

I really want to pledge $60 for all the demos and the EP, but I don't think I have that kind of money. Ironically, I would be able to afford it if I hadn't bought tickets to the tour with Say Anything. Razz

Maybe I'll be able to spring for $25 to get the t-shirt and EP. I collect t-shirts, so an exclusive t-shirt would be a nice get.

Though honestly, if I had the money, I'd pledge lots more than that. But I'm a poor, soon-to-be college graduate.

Jared x
Lost at Forum

Kickstarter does not easily allow you to send a note to the band saying, "And by the way, the extra dollar I gave you was for the online concert."

They actually allow you to contact the band very easily. When I had the idea this morning about bundling the EP & demos, I shot them a message. They responded almost instantly, and the option was then up for $60. Then I switched my pledge. Easy.

Also, under the FAQ:

Quote:
I want to pledge for multiple rewards, how can I do that?

If you want to pledge for multiple rewards via one pledge, you can add up and pledge the totals of the rewards that you want to pledge to (include shipping, if applicable). Once you pledge the sum of all of the rewards you wish to pledge to, you can include a note that specifies which rewards you pledged for. Thank you!

If you want to contact them, look for:

Quote:
Project by
Eisley
Tyler, TX
Contact me

marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

Jared x wrote:
Kickstarter does not easily allow you to send a note to the band saying, "And by the way, the extra dollar I gave you was for the online concert."

They actually allow you to contact the band very easily. When I had the idea this morning about bundling the EP & demos, I shot them a message. They responded almost instantly, and the option was then up for $60. Then I switched my pledge. Easy.

Also, under the FAQ:

Quote:
I want to pledge for multiple rewards, how can I do that?

If you want to pledge for multiple rewards via one pledge, you can add up and pledge the totals of the rewards that you want to pledge to (include shipping, if applicable). Once you pledge the sum of all of the rewards you wish to pledge to, you can include a note that specifies which rewards you pledged for. Thank you!

If you want to contact them, look for:

Quote:
Project by
Eisley
Tyler, TX
Contact me

Oh, no. My issue isn't that it's difficult to contact the band. I emailed them earlier about stuff and they got back to me right away. It's also easy to leave messages and comments directly through Kickstarter. My concern is that there's no easy way to keep track of these additional notes through kickstarter. Once they have a few thousand backers, it will be very hard to tell who picked multiple reward levels, because the bundles won't automatically tell you that. SO they'll have to go through emails and tweets and Facebooks and kickstarter messages and comments trying to piece all of that together. Not saying it's impossible, but it seems like such a pain for the band to have to deal with that. They could make life easier for themselves by going through the (tedious) process of creating combination reward levels.

UPDATE: So rad! I emailed them about making the $1 level applicable for all donation levels, and they fixed it with their first update. Glad to see how responsive they're being right now.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>