Laughing City
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

What do you all think?

It's another very interesting song. I like how they are taking risks! I like the production musically on the songs, very good. The only thing is the vocals are a bit hard to hear, but I believe that's the style Stacy is going for... Both songs that we heard so far are "hers," I'm assuming. In general, I like how the songs are different/have unique twists to them...yet are catchy as well.

I also like how there's definitely a theme going on with the album! Without hearing/knowing the rest of the songs content, the track listing hints at that (themed songs grouped together).

I believe this is another one that will continue to grow, like "Drink the Water." (It took me two or three listens to LOVE it, which is better than hating it after two or three listens!) I'm in the middle of the third play through and I can see "Currents" being picked up on college radio/"indie rock" playlists (fingers crossed!).
mandy
Sea Post King

I think I need to read the lyrics before I decide whether I like them or not. But as far as the music goes they had me at first listen and they are seriously making this month long wait difficult for me. Razz
norad
Vintage Newbie

Hm...I really like Drink the Water but I don't know if I like this one much yet. It sounds kind of awkward.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

yes... yess... yes. yes! YES! YEEEESSSSSS!

love the experimental chaotic vibe it has

-edit-

seriously, i haven't been this excited by a song in a while! i need to sleep, but i can't stop listening now. there's just so much going on within the song and how it moves.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Might have to pass on this one.
The clip on Amazon is just messy noise to my ears
Christian
Sea Post King

olimario wrote:
Might have to pass on this one.
The clip on Amazon is just messy noise to my ears

I agree with you about the clip. It does not do the song justice though. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

The song has an awkward, somewhat chaotic start, but once it gets going, I think I may be enjoying this more than "Drink The Water."
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

my favorite thing about the new material is that it's so polarizing. i am in love with this and the clip doesn't sound like 'messy noise' to me at all? there's a longer version on iTunes (and the full song in...a lot of places) if you want to evaluate that.
ks1990
Lost at Forum

The Full song is on Youtube: http://youtu.be/tvtLwkG7Ozo
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

I like the chaotic drums, the reverb of the guitar, and all the directions it takes. I love seeing their creativity shine without any outside influence. So is this officially 'the first single' and Drink the Water was just a teaser? I hope we get a video for this soon.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

song is pretty good. they had it on zune marketplace. which surprised me in a good way.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That's a pretty standard drum pattern there, nothing chaotic about it if you've ever heard a marching band, drum & fife, or any other snare heavy music with a steady but prominent beat. Maybe it just sounds "abrasive" and "in your face" and that is off putting for some of ya'll?

Me, i'm a fan of percussion and rhythm and this one's all about the groove. It's riding in a pentatonic groove from what i can tell listening on an ipad speaker. I really like it, but it's a completely different kind of song than Drink the Water cause this could get a spin in a club that caters towards fashionable folk and (sub) urban sophisticates.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
That's a pretty standard drum pattern there, nothing chaotic aboit it if you've ever heard a marching band, drum & fife, or any other snare heaving music with a steady but prominent beat. Maybe it just sounds "abrasive" and "in your face" and that is off putting for some of ya'll?

Me, i'm a fan of percussion and rhythm and this one's all a out the groove. It's riding in a pentatonic groove from what i can tell listen on an ipad speaker. I really like it, but it's a completely different kind of song than drink the water cause this could get a spin in a club that caters towards fashionable folk and (sub) urban sophisticates.

i'm usually on the fence of stacy songs. i mean i love oxygen mask, and sucre, but usually i prefer sherri's songs more. this one is a pleasant surprise.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Based on the Guitar part, this actually sounds like a Sherri type riff, cause it's guitar driven melodically...

I'd say the riff is a swanked out cousin of Sad and Better Love style wise.

Just realized that this song reminds me of Junip (Jose Gonzalez) when it gets going, particularly the staccato acoustic guitar riff that opens the verses and carries through and the chord structure and bass of the chorus, while the intro with the piano chords reminds me of something else.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Christian
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
That's a pretty standard drum pattern there, nothing chaotic aboit it if you've ever heard a marching band, drum & fife, or any other snare heaving music with a steady but prominent beat. Maybe it just sounds "abrasive" and "in your face" and that is off putting for some of ya'll?

The chaotic quality for me has nothing to do with the drums. It's the first seven seconds right before the vocals start.

After listening to the full song (purchase from iTunes) a dozen plus times, I just went back to the Amazon preview. That still sounds awful. I think it's due to the quality of the file they're using as the preview. It sounds a bit higher pitched and maybe a little grainy, which makes it sound ugly. I can definitely see how someone would be turned off by that. I certainly was at first.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Ugh... you had to quote that touchscreen composed nightmare of a passage? Evil or Very Mad

I played it on a 20" imac and I could pick out the nuances of the glitch pop intro that plays along with the piano chords (that actually sound acoustic, or a quality synth) and that didn't really come through on the ipad speaker. I can see that as being described as off-putting or atypical, but as a Radiohead and Bjork fan I would be lying. The whole "glitch-pop" thing is pretty accepted as normal now.

I want to say, that amazon clip came in during the main part of the song and omitted the intro? It was tinny as I recall. I have been listening to the stream on youtube linked above and it's a good bitrate, and sounds solid.

As far as album continuity, with 4 songs available in one form or another, this is going to be the most cohesive production and songwriting they've done since Laughing City and Marvelous Things. Happy 10 year anniversary Eisley, you done good.