Laughing City
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

How the kickstarter should have gone.

Original goal: $80,000

$1 and above- Official thank you on Twitter or the website.
$5 and above - Exclusive online Room Noises concert
$10 and above - Kickstarter EP

$15 - signed polaroid
$25 - t-shirt
$35 - cardigan
$50 and above - demos
$65 - t-shirt
$75 - cardigan
$85 - lyric sheets
$150 - (Deluxe bundle) EP, demos, polaroid, t-shirt, cardigan, lyric sheets

$400 - guest list
$500 - VIP guest list (they get to request a song)
$500 - cover any song
$1000 - MEGA BUNDLE: VIP guest list, cover a song, EP, demos, polaroid, shirt, cardigan, lyric sheets

$4000 - House show, plus all digital downloads and a t-shirt
$5000 - guitar, plus all digital downloads and a t-shirt

http://inconnumag.com
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

well they're about 1/5 of the way there. i think they have way more fans that are willing to contribute, it's just a matter of getting word out to them. technically, if everyone who "likes" them on facebook donated just one dollar to them they'd have the entire thing now.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

The Man In The Moon wrote:
well they're about 1/5 of the way there. i think they have way more fans that are willing to contribute, it's just a matter of getting word out to them. technically, if everyone who "likes" them on facebook donated just one dollar to them they'd have the entire thing now.

The problem is that the rewards are really inaccessible, which is why they only have 400+ donors despite the 200k+ facebook fans. The prices are too high, and there's no consistency on digital downloads. Whenever you offer anything digitally on Kickstarter, there's zero to little cost on behalf of the artists, so fans expect to pay less for those rewards.

I paid $35 for a digital download of the Veronica Mars movie, plus a t-shirt. Eisley is asking me to shell out $50 for demos that they've already recorded and nothing else. I've been dealing with kickstarter campaigns for a long time now, first with my magazine's own very tiny campaign and more recently as a consultant for various web shows, all of which have successfully over-funded. You've got to set digital download costs lower and allow people to bundle them in with all other physical rewards, otherwise they never go for the physical rewards. For the casual fan, it's not worth the hassle to send a message to the band letting them know specifically what you'd like to order.

gundamit
Golly, Poster

tungsten wrote:
songs I would want to hear: <Snip>
Wild Mountain Thyme

I can almost hear the Eisley ladies singing it accompanied with a single guitar. And its great.

Lost at Forum

i think it'd be cool if they did something to the affect that if they get a certain amount of money (prior to $100,000) that they'd make a poll to record a cover album of some sort. they'd make it regardless of if they make the goal or not. also maybe do some more promos and offers here and there

crusso
Sea Post King

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
How the kickstarter should have gone.

Original goal: $80,000

$1 and above- Official thank you on Twitter or the website.
$5 and above - Exclusive online Room Noises concert
$10 and above - Kickstarter EP

$15 - signed polaroid
$25 - t-shirt
$35 - cardigan
$50 and above - demos
$65 - t-shirt
$75 - cardigan
$85 - lyric sheets
$150 - (Deluxe bundle) EP, demos, polaroid, t-shirt, cardigan, lyric sheets

$400 - guest list
$500 - VIP guest list (they get to request a song)
$500 - cover any song
$1000 - MEGA BUNDLE: VIP guest list, cover a song, EP, demos, polaroid, shirt, cardigan, lyric sheets

$4000 - House show, plus all digital downloads and a t-shirt
$5000 - guitar, plus all digital downloads and a t-shirt

Did you poke Boyd with something like this? They're not too late to change their tiers and this might give them some ideas.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

My Nominations:

Norad: Eisley Archivist, Co-Online Publicist / Emedia Aggregrator

Marshkingsdaughter: Eisley Social Networking and Crowd-Sourcing Initiative Consultant.

Maninthemoon: Eisley Co-Online Publicist - Grass Roots aka Laughing City

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

crusso wrote:

Did you poke Boyd with something like this? They're not too late to change their tiers and this might give them some ideas.

I sent him the email about making the $1 reward applicable for all levels, and they made the update. But at this stage in the game, if they backtrack, people can't scale down donations. You agree to pay a minimum of what you first pledged. They'd have to redo the whole campaign (not a bad idea, IMHO).

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
My Nominations:

Norad: Eisley Archivist, Co-Online Publicist / Emedia Aggregrator

Marshkingsdaughter: Eisley Social Networking and Crowd-Sourcing Initiative Consultant.

Maninthemoon: Eisley Co-Online Publicist - Grass Roots aka Laughing City

i'm honored Laughing

eiswood09
Sea Post King

I think they just might reach their goal. Its around 20 K and 450 backers (more or less). This is surprising, considering the bit of backlash its gotten. I guess they're coming to Australia then Cool (Yup, I'm being overly positive)
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Eisley are a conservative band for the most part, right? People who bring tons of people, including their little ones, on tours, or trips, or whatevers do so because they can afford to. Other people, most people, make sacrifices. The conservative mantra is to live within one's own means, and I'm inclined to agree when one has the means to actually live, which Eisley seem to, and seem to do quite well.

The entitlement here is horrifying.

This is pure free-market, baby. If there is demand for the goods Eisley is offering, then money will change hands. If Eisley cannot generate sufficient revenue to cover costs on a merch-gobbling national tour, there is nothing wrong with exploring alternative options. It's not like you have to give them a dime.

I doubt they'll reach the goal.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jared x
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I doubt they'll reach the goal.

At this point I am inclined to agree.

For them to reach their goal, they need to make an average of about $3,166 a day for the next 25 days.

Based on how much has been donated the past couple of days, it's not going to come close.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I have always suspected that some artists save "safety net" funds for their crowd sourcing they will kick in if the deadline is nearing & things have slowed to a pessimistic crawl, so they don't lose the funds generated. This only makes sense if the artists don't have to put them selves into further debt in doing so. Don't know if this is the case but I've suspected it. It would explain why in a couple of cases the artist has asked for additional support after reaching their goal or been slow on delivering incentives.

it would be an indie artist's equivalent of, or at least facsimile of when a label would buy copies of their own new release to make sure it charted top 10 for the added buzz/ publicity to generate further sales, or rig the TRL voting/ jukebox video requests etc. Not saying it's gonna happen, but if I were a small label with a band with the potential to generate a lot of interest & revenue, i'd be looking for novel ways to supplement our promotional budget... even a failed kickstarter provides publicity, and establishes a narrative that can be tooled to promote a redemptive story for the artist. It's to the labels benefit to contribute to the kickstarter financially in some capacity if &, when needed.

All that said, whenever their deal with Equal Vision is over, they have done a good job of positioning themselves artistically to maintain the kind of audience that will support them as a totally independent act if they choose to cut out the middle man. The family or artists & their individual releases will help supplement their individual household incomes

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Sorry for not reading through 8 pages... But I can't be the only one who finds this Kickstarter overambitious and kinda ridiculous, right?

So I'm supposed to pay to send them on tour and THEN pay to attend the tour?

I recently contributed to a Kickstarter for Reggie & The Full Effect to create a new album (a band that is, or at one point was, bigger than Eisley). And the goal was only $50,000, and they only eclipsed it by $2 or $3,000. For $15, I get a physical copy of the album which he has to write, record, produce, package, and ship. For $50 from Eisley, I get to download some mp3s they have sitting on their computer.

drinkthewater
Sea Post King

(I had to register again since it's been years and I don't remember what I signed up as before lol)

I do agree that the rewards could have been structured much better and it does seem a bit lofty. But I don't know what it costs to buy a tour bus, do US tours and go to UK and Australia. I did sign up to back it for the EP & demos, but I do wish since those are both digitally distributed that it would have included the t-shirt or something at least.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>