Laughing City
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

JBaker wrote:
Sorry for not reading through 8 pages... But I can't be the only one who finds this Kickstarter overambitious and kinda ridiculous, right?

So I'm supposed to pay to send them on tour and THEN pay to attend the tour?

I recently contributed to a Kickstarter for Reggie & The Full Effect to create a new album (a band that is, or at one point was, bigger than Eisley). And the goal was only $50,000, and they only eclipsed it by $2 or $3,000. For $15, I get a physical copy of the album which he has to write, record, produce, package, and ship. For $50 from Eisley, I get to download some mp3s they have sitting on their computer.

Exactly. I think the problem with Eisley, though, isn't THAT they're kickstarting a tour -- I totally get why they're doing it and fully support it and think that the majority of the backlash is unnecessary. But I also think they've gone about it the wrong way. Putting the focus on the new babies instead of on the costly logistics of touring with so many people, setting ridiculously high prices for digital downloads of tracks that already exist, failing to bundle rewards, the $100k goal (a lower goal could still overfund, and the band could risk $20,000 and make it back in ticket sales). It's unfortunate that *tickets to the show* couldn't be a reward level, but the band also can't guarantee they'll be playing in [insert your city], so I get why the cost of attendance is separate.

Meh. We'll see what happens. I could see them funding, but I'm finding it more and more likely that they won't. The band doesn't seem to be treating kickstarter like the full time job that it is. You need to constantly update your backers, constantly update rewards and improve the campaign, constantly do interviews and put yourself out there as much as possible. When they initially posted it on social media, it was like a complete afterthought. "Oh, by the way, we're launching a $100,000 kickstarter. Check it out or whatever."

I think all of this is just a matter of going into this blindly and casually. They could have benefitted from some outside guidance. Or maybe they had some. I doubt it, though.

http://inconnumag.com
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
Sorry for not reading through 8 pages... But I can't be the only one who finds this Kickstarter overambitious and kinda ridiculous, right?

So I'm supposed to pay to send them on tour and THEN pay to attend the tour?

I recently contributed to a Kickstarter for Reggie & The Full Effect to create a new album (a band that is, or at one point was, bigger than Eisley). And the goal was only $50,000, and they only eclipsed it by $2 or $3,000. For $15, I get a physical copy of the album which he has to write, record, produce, package, and ship. For $50 from Eisley, I get to download some mp3s they have sitting on their computer.
Nope. We're the only ones (here) though.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ not really, some of us are just trying to keep it positive and keep our mental reservations in check.

If you really want to get an honest idea of where everybody's feelings lie, somebody needs to make a poll asking if people think they are going to get 100K, and if not how short they will fall. Or harsher still, what are they going to do with the money they pledged that they expect to be getting back in a month?

I'm not gonna do it. I don't play that way on the LC. I save that stuff for people I have real dirt on so I can defend myself if they go after me for being a crab.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tungsten
Sea Post King

Just signed up to be a backer. Surprised myself by going for the lyric sheet instead of the EP/Demo bundle. Going for Golly Sandra, if it succeeds.
mandy
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
^ not really, some of us are just trying to keep it positive and keep our mental reservations in check.

I agree with this though I am in the group that doesn't have any problem with them doing a kickstarter, but thinks it could be made better and they could be doing more to promote it. I think the timing was wrong with the pre-order bundle for the album just being available to order and the album coming out right around the time they are going to be done with the kickstarter. I imagine some of the fans with less money who would want to pledge otherwise are going to be stuck deciding between the album and the kickstarter.

I do want some of the stuff I pledged for though regardless of the pricing and timing so I hope they make it.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I've been wrong once or twice before, but I just don't see how they get to $100k...
Basically all of the hardcore fans have already contributed, and they're 20% of the way there.

They do need more unique goals and better updates to have a chance. For the Reggie Kickstarter I mentioned above, James had things like $75 for a 5 minute Skype call with him where he'd play a song. $250 to send him a demo of your band's song, and he'd write and record a keyboard part for it. And he'd set milestones where every $5,000 he'd post a new demo from the record for everybody to hear. He was involved, pushing the thing every day with updates. Posting about it on his Facebook Twitter, The Get Up Kids Facebook, etc.

Veronica Mars is only going to happen once.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

JBaker wrote:
I've been wrong once or twice before, but I just don't see how they get to $100k...
Basically all of the hardcore fans have already contributed, and they're 20% of the way there.

well they got 5k today. i don't know man, i just find it hard to believe that there could only be 500 hardcore fans.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just some perspective:

I contributed to Kevin Devine's kickstarter not long after it launched.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/958123444/making-lp7-kd-w-rob-schn apf-and-lp8-kd-gdb-w-jesse

I was surprised at how well they did past their goal.

I contributed to Schematic's Indiegogo

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/this-is-schematic

They just barely made their goal

I notice that Eisley backed the Kevin Devine kickstarter, so they've seen what a smaller artist can accomplish with a devoted fanbase. In Devine's case it was an album preorder initiative as well as a tour/ indie label start up funding type proposition.

Schematic (Dave from MAE) had a more challenging venture he chose to undertake, and less goods to offer in contrast to Kevin Devine.

Both these artists didn't make it past one album on a major label, so with Eisley having 2 major label albums, and a lot of major label tours under their belts, pulling in 100K may not have seemed excessively ambitious given what they've seen others do, and given the fervor of some of their fan base. I'd add that their fan base can also be fickle as all get out.

Anyways, I think the criticisms about the timing of the campaign and level of promotion it's receiving a pretty astute.

I think Larose guitars are the key to this campaign getting funded. As they go, so it goes.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
JBaker wrote:

well they got 5k today. i don't know man, i just find it hard to believe that there could only be 500 hardcore fans.

They have more than 500 loyal fans, but I don't think many more "hardcore" fans.
To get a somewhat decent gauge on the amount of really hardcore fans they have, look at how many post on this board these days.

Like I said, they might make it, who knows. But I'm not super confident in it, and so far I don't think this was run very well.

tungsten
Sea Post King

I think the bottom line is not how well the band is loved, but just the hard simple fact that money is tight right now. These are hard times y'all!
There are a lot of people to love and a lot of people to worry about. You would hope that you would not have to also worry about the financial condition of your favorite band. I chose to back them because I think the $100 lyric print is worth it!
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Zach Braff got $1 million + in a day for his Garden State follow up.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869987317/wish-i-was-here-1

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

Zach Braff is also a household name.

At this point, Eisley has to make over $3,000 a day to reach their goal.

In the last 20 hours, they have made $-155. Yes, they have LOST $155 in pledges.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

Ugh.

The Guardian wrote:
Kickstarter is proving incredibly effective in its guise as the internet's cocky little panhandler. Around 44% of projects on the site have reached their funding goals since it was launched in April 2009. More than $500m has been pledged, funding more than 35,000 creative projects.

But a dollar for Braff is a dollar away from an unknown, and so reaction to this particular fundraiser has been mixed. What irks is that the man on the street will not be an investor in the project, merely a donor. So if the movie becomes a sleeper hit like The Blair Witch Project, which was made for $60,000 but grossed $250m worldwide, no donor will see any kind of return. The producers get to build another kidney-shaped swimming pool, but you'll be left with your pdf of the screenplay ($10), frameable art prints ($60) or a fleeting moment as an extra ($2,500). There's a lot of talk about the spirit of crowdfunding, and how it's one of the few ways that a truly independent artist can fund their project. But if the likes of Zach Braff can hijack the process, then surely the system is compromised? And what's to stop the producers of the next Iron Man movie asking for a couple of million?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/apr/26/zack-braff-panhand le-money-kickstarter

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I don't really follow that article. Are there any Kickstarters where you get profits after the project is made?

Most Kickstarters I see are in regards to making an album. If that album later goes Platinum the funders would never expect to get profits.

As others have said - if you want to help a person fund a project either do or don't. If you think it is worthy and have the money, contribute. If you don't think it is worthy or don't have the money, don't contribute. There are no laws that bind anyone to participate. If you want to complain anyone is free to. Whether or not that is a worthy justification of time is up to the individual.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Re: theguardianuk article

That was a well stated argument. I can no longer defend this & with a few exceptions am no wallowing in the privileged consumerist guilt i'd held at bay regarding crowd funding bands I liked rather than giving that money to charity. Thank Goodness for pledgemusic combining the two on a few campaigns I gave to.

I think contrasting the business model of corporate financiers who bankroll films to publicly traded commodities then to crowd funding is a valid rhetorical angle. Why can't fans who support be stakeholders if the well-off & institutions get to be as a standard practice, at least on mass mediated productions? Pledging on linited runs and small releases doesn't merit that thought, but a sequel to a widely released film, or film adaptation of a tv series does.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>