Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i have to admit that I know very little of kickstarter.

but why didn't Eisley do something like this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/penny-arcades-podcast- downloadable-content-the-ret?ref=live

they made their goal only $10.00 so it got funded quick, then they were able to keep everything else it made>

Seems that would be the way to go. Keep the funding low and keep the extra. Looks like now they wont get the cash.
but if they had done it like that, they would be getting atleast $50,000
which is better than $0.00

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
drinkthewater
Sea Post King

Honestly, I think they just didn't really know what they were getting into and I'm not blaming them or anything.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/eisley/eisley-touring-our-new-record/

This website projects what a KS is likely to achieve based on how things are going. It's estimating Eisley to get about 63% funding.

I have been sharing it and posting it a few places. If they would post it on their FB and IG again I think it would help. Everytime they post it they seem to get a good jump in pledges...
hallmark
Sea Post King

They really haven't done a great job advertising it. A lower goal would have been better, but I can't fault them for being ambitious.

But I know many bands that will cover the remaining amount themselves so they can keep all the pledges. It seems likely they will do that. If not, maybe they'll try again with a lower goal.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

One thing that Eisley has shown over the years is a hesitance to really put themselves out there hyping themselves & pushing product very hard. I really get the impression that truly have no desires to be "salespeople" for their music. I take it as being down to earth and humble/ grounded, but they're also contrary folks in ways I'm appreciative as well.

It was a good idea, but the terms by which they'd normally operate don't suss out with what's typical on kickstarter these days. They are general earnest & disarming, polite & seldom needy or urgent in what they ask of their fans. They have always seemed content to let things ride out as they seem to be & along with that take their success with great joy & surprise.

The blessing/ curse is that their fans are pretty much the same way as far as attitude, so we tend to be ambivalent a lot of the time or passive with our hopes & pleasantly surprised when they're met or exceeded. We all have self-esteem issues Razz

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

3 days left and it's at $54.5k.

Have any of them talked about a Plan B on social media?

drinkthewater
Sea Post King

I think it was mentioned they might try again with a lower amount, but I can't remember for sure.

I wish they could get close enough that EVR would just kick in the rest. I think that would be fair and then they wouldn't have to lose out on nearly 60k, which would still be a big help to their touring plans.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Honestly, I don't think EVR is in a position to float 50k to a band in any capacity other than as a loan. That would be no gain to Eisley, it would only mean they get to keep they 50K+ from fans now, and pay it back to EVR later.

I hope they have a big backer, if only their collective funds, if they are legitimately in a rush to get these funds. I hate to armchair quarterback, but given they are trying to bankroll 2 years of touring, I wish they would have broken it up into 1 campaign per tour. Given what Garron shared in his response to a comment on the campaign, it seems the initial cost for the Tour Bus was the largest, and for them to get that at the onset of this SA tour necessitated the large dollar amount for this first campaign?

It's a tough pill to digest, but at the same time, Eisley has asked their fans to Buy my house and car outright, in cash money, cause that is how much my house and care together would cost based on their market value at purchase, $100K, straight up. They tried to raise that in 30 days, and I'm contracted to repay my mortgage in 30 years. It's humbling and thought provoking for me.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

The real question is, how so you have a $90,000 house in St. Louis?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:

Either the grammar or the typo befuddles me. I'm going to assume you mean "how do"?

I live in the county, not St. Louis City proper, or I would probably gotten much more for my money, but I live in a nice neighborhood, and it's a nice enough house for being 50 years old, about the same age as most suburban houses. The average 2 or 3 bedroom house runs between 80-125k depending on different variables.

I've been in my job for near 7 years at a decent salary, so I figured why keep renting and pay someone else's mortgage when I could be building equity?

My house is shy of $90K, and when I bought my 07' Magnum (08') it had 27K miles on it...

so yeah, my kickstarter campaign has one pledger and closes in 28 years.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

[quote="wilsmith"]
JBaker wrote:

Clever. Razz
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
JBaker wrote:

Either the grammar or the typo befuddles me. I'm going to assume you mean "how do"?

I live in the county, not St. Louis City proper, or I would probably gotten much more for my money, but I live in a nice neighborhood, and it's a nice enough house for being 50 years old, about the same age as most suburban houses. The average 2 or 3 bedroom house runs between 80-125k depending on different variables.

I've been in my job for near 7 years at a decent salary, so I figured why keep renting and pay someone else's mortgage when I could be building equity?

My house is shy of $90K, and when I bought my 07' Magnum (08') it had 27K miles on it...

Dang you've got cheap housing over there. I'm gonna start a Kickstarter to move me to MO.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just depends on where you are in the area and how new or historic a home you want. Texas hasn't helpd our cause given it's wooed away at least two major employers from St. Louis in the past 20 or so years, TWA and ATT (then know as SBC). And the freaking Stars jacked Brett Hull from us and lucked up on a Stanley Cup, but i'm not bitter, not at all.

MO is reportedly one of the least expensive places to live. I personally think cost and standard of living go hand in hand. All my siblings and most friends have left MO for the sake of better employment prospects, and quite a few have moved to Dallas, and a smattering to San Antonio, so employee compensation has to be better down there.

Or i guess they don't sell as many houses in TX so they try and make up their losses buy over-pricing them, like music stores did with cds back in the day?

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
JBaker wrote:

Dang you've got cheap housing over there. I'm gonna start a Kickstarter to move me to MO.

No kidding. Average house price is around 350-400k in my town just outside of Chicago.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
ATT (then know as SBC).

I thought AT&T and SBC were two separate companies, and one bought out the other? Probably arguing semantics here, but still.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Nope. I worked for SBC, which is Southwestern Bell & did research on Bell's history. When all the telecommunication deregulation was passed that allowed the regional bell companies to merge that were created when the gvt. Forced Bell to split because of its monopoly. At that point SBC started moving into DSL & had backed Verizon out east to move into wireless. Once the laws were changed and they went national they went from branding themselves as Southwestern Bell to SBC, then they reabsorbed ATT which was strictly their long distance operation that had moved into cellular and merged with Cingular. After that they re-branded to ATT because the name isn't regionally bound and a better choice than Bell, which has a historical stigma.

Last edited by wilsmith on Mon May 20, 2013 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>