Laughing City
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

drinkthewater wrote:
Is it just me or did anyone else think they would maybe post something acknowledging that this didn't happen/thank the 1k fans who pledged anyway and give us an idea of where they plan to go from there? They are awfully quiet.. which they have been for about a week. I suppose with all the hate they've gotten on some other sites maybe that's why.

perhaps. i think the hate they've gotten has been incredibly unnecessary considering it's from mostly non-fans anyway. i'm thinking if they had lowered the goal like the arcade fire kickstarter, things might've played out a little better.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

oathmeal wrote:
Sherri tweeted somebody about it yesterday:

"@SDuPreeBemis: @Beasterlou that's sweet but I think we are just going to try and figure out how to do it without having to ask for help. It's just too odd"
I don't understand the last part."It's just too odd."
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I don't see the huge deal either? It's not like they are the only band to try this.

It wasn't kickstarter, but I pledged for another artist and it worked out well. And the stuff they were giving away were a lesser deal than Eisley's (like finger paintings....no joke).

Eisley did nothing wrong. Like what was said, the people giving them hate seem to be non-fans. I correct myself, the only thing they did wrong was maybe set too high of a goal. I get that people will give to reach the goal, but in this case, it was just a bit too much for the amount of buzz they currently have.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:
I don't see the huge deal either? It's not like they are the only band to try this.

It wasn't kickstarter, but I pledged for another artist and it worked out well. And the stuff they were giving away were a lesser deal than Eisley's (like finger paintings....no joke).

Esthero??? If so, me too, big fan of hers, and her album was way better than I expected. The kickstarter was for promotion and touring but man alive I haven't heard anything in the press about the record, unless it all occurred in her native Canada?

Meanwhile

oathmeal wrote:
wrote:

"@SDuPreeBemis: @Beasterlou that's sweet but I think we are just going to try and figure out how to do it without having to ask for help. It's just too odd"

bigideas wrote:
I don't understand the last part."It's just too odd.

I would say all the harsh public criticism, from fans and non fans, and having to publicly defend themselves from all the criticism, inclusive of:

Their Parenting choices
Financial Savvy
Value of their art and talent in regards to rewards
The necessity of the campaign itself
and all the minutia that came with said discussions

Them having to push all the items they were providing as rewards to the fans has never been Eisley's cup of tea. They are more often self-depreciating about their commercial welfare than they are prompting funs to spend money on them. They seem put off by being in "marketing" and "sales". Practical or not, it's a choice I respect because you lose a bit of yourself when your are forced to treat yourself as a commodity and push that on others. I would argue that all of that is odd, and I'm sure they'd much rather just make music, share it via conventional channels for themselves, and make enough money from it to support continuing to do so and living a decent life outside of it.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

No mention in the new e-mail about Currents coming out next week.

Didn't fans donate money one time to buy Boyd a new Mac laptop?
This was probably before Wil was active. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but something like that happened.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
Mystic210 wrote:

Esthero??? If so, me too, big fan of hers, and her album was way better than I expected. The kickstarter was for promotion and touring but man alive I haven't heard anything in the press about the record, unless it all occurred in her native Canada?

Haha, yep! Esthero. As I teased, I contemplated that and would've done the hike/Uno game one if I lived in California. Wink Yes, I thought the album was pretty good! I can't say it's still on repeat right now, but I'm glad I kept up with her and ordered it! I especially liked "Everything Is Expensive," "Black Mermaid," and "How Do I Get You Alone" (though, I may like the old acoustic version better).
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

oathmeal wrote:

...they just got a gentle beating for it in the local press as well, unfortunately.

At least they used a decent picture this time.

I think the analysis there and in the AV Club piece, that they are asking fans to fund a money-loosing endeavor, misses the point that before the tour can either succeed or fail to support the band, it has to be financed somehow. Whether the Kickstarter was the best or most appropriate way to accomplish that is something about which decent and cogent people can differ, of course, but the reasoning that it implies that the tour was destined to loose money doesn't seem well founded.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'm going to treat those articles like the Album previews:

bad for my for my vibe when it comes to hearing my album when it arrives. I'm going to celebrate Currents for what it may very well be:

The most accomplished of Eilsey's now 4 full length albums.

I would love to see the drafts of those articles had Eisley somehow pulled it off. Ultimately, this underdog story that is Eisley's career when big business is involved, even fan funded big business, has a few more chapters before the uplifting resolution we all feel it merits.

oh yeah

Mystic210 wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Mystic210 wrote:

Haha, yep! Esthero. As I teased, I contemplated that and would've done the hike/Uno game one if I lived in California. Wink Yes, I thought the album was pretty good! I can't say it's still on repeat right now, but I'm glad I kept up with her and ordered it! I especially liked "Everything Is Expensive," "Black Mermaid," and "How Do I Get You Alone" (though, I may like the old acoustic version better).

I was expecting something that might have been under-produced, and I didn't expect as much full band material. On top of that the lyrics were very strong. I haven't listened to it in a while. I usually give things 2 listens, one at home and one in the car, and move on until later. I need to go back. The one that made the biggest impression on me was Not Gonna Write You A Song. I love the lyrics on that one, but I also loved We R N Need of a Musical Revolution, as far as pointed lyrics serving as personal anthems. She definitely made the most of her campaign.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

well, the band sent out an official statement about the situation

eisley wrote:

Hey everyone.
We wanted to take a second to thank everyone who backed this project for their support and also update everyone on where we're at with touring and the future. We debated on whether or not to make an official statement beyond expressing our sincere thanks but didn't want to ignore the fact that an elephant might still be in the room. Bands rarely make official statements unless they're breaking up and that's sure not happening. So this is just going to be somewhat off the cuff if that's ok.

As you guys know, we didn't meet our goal by the deadline. Clearly, we over-shot it but we're not bummed out or discouraged. Neither are we immune to the fact that we found ourselves in the cross-hairs of a Kickstarter controversy Smile. Guess that was something we were unaware we'd be getting into. You live and learn. We researched, looked at our situation realistically and took the risk.

You guys were overwhelmingly supportive and encouraging. We now understand that some didn't like our goal amount and some didn't like the idea that we were trying to fund touring instead of a record, some thought we were way off on what we were trying to offer in return. Apparently, a large percentage seem to be conscientious objectors about crowd funding in general. Understandable. Also, some folks felt like we were trying to use our fan's money to feed our babies. This provided great comic relief. Note: we weren't going to be writing ourselves checks. Plus our babies all nurse. haha.

We're not going to get deep into defending our motives or our decision. Our guess is – short of posting tour budgets, bank accounting statements and/or having some huge discussion about transitioning from being kids in a band to touring in a band with kids, we're not likely to change any nay-nayers minds. And that's... ok. We're not embarrassed that it didn't fund. We're too busy and thankful to be embarrassed. And anyway, reaching the 60% mark was fairly huge.

What does seem important is to address is the question as to whether our plans might be affected by any financial shortfall. We've been asked, 'if you're still going to find a way to tour, then was this project really necessary?' The simple truth is, yes. But we will face these challenges and absolutely find a way to tour as much as we possibly can. Nothing has changed. Our motivation is to continue being a band, writing songs, recording records and touring.
On that note, this tour is happening. We're excited about it and hope you guys are too. Just to be transparent, to insure it could happen we ended up having to borrow $ from family for a good chunk of it and our label is lending us money against future royalties for the rest. Both are painful. That's the reality of Eisley doing support tours. Headlining tours are a little easier financially but in any case, our nursing babies are too little to leave at home and it would be insanely wrong and dangerous to try to tour with 3 or 4 tiny babies in a van. We have to be in a bigger, safer, vehicle which costs between 15 - 20k (before fuel, driver, etc.).

To sum it all up, the intention of the project was to help facilitate all of the touring we need to do to support our record but it was also a way for us to have fun with you guys, make cool stuff and connect with people that we may never have had the opportunity to connect with otherwise. We still want to find ways to do so regardless of how this particular idea worked out!
Please know how thankful we are that you were willing to give unselfishly to the cause. We really just want to move past this episode, get back to music. Thanks again and we'll be talking more and more about our new record and this tour during the next few days.
Love,
Eisley

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
drinkthewater
Sea Post King

I really wish it would have worked out. I'm satisfied with their response. I would not have had any regrets if it had been funded. I just hope that it doesn't keep a Currents headlining tour from happening soon cause I didn't get to get tickets to the Houston show with SA. Sad
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I still think they should put those demos and Kickstarter EPs up on their online store. I'd certainly buy them!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, I'm glad I missed this whole mess. And I could hardly care less what any musical press thinks. Hopefully everyone can learn/move on and enjoy some music and live shows soon.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pzy
Wookie Luke

wilsmith wrote:
Eisley's career when big business is involved, even fan funded big business, has a few more chapters before the uplifting resolution we all feel it merits.

I've been waiting like... 10 years. Where's the uplifting resolution? Eisley's getting kicked around for the Nth time.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:

Where was this posted, FB? Email blast? Telling of the shifting sands that it wasn't posted or linked anywhere from this site that I can find. Indeed, do trolleys still drive? Sad

Thanks for posting, glad they sound mostly positive about it. It's really angering that people criticize Eisley for trying to do something different - if you like the idea of raising money to fund a tour, support it. If you don't, then don't. How can that be "controversial"?? Only to spiteful/jealous people, or perpetual Eisley bashers (yep, that's probably redundant.)

drinkthewater
Sea Post King

grain thrower wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:

Where was this posted, FB? Email blast? Telling of the shifting sands that it wasn't posted or linked anywhere from this site that I can find. Indeed, do trolleys still drive? Sad

Thanks for posting, glad they sound mostly positive about it. It's really angering that people criticize Eisley for trying to do something different - if you like the idea of raising money to fund a tour, support it. If you don't, then don't. How can that be "controversial"?? Only to spiteful/jealous people, or perpetual Eisley bashers (yep, that's probably redundant.)

It was released as an update on the KS.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>