Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
fragileaswelie
Sea Post King

mr pine wrote:
there are some nice guitar melodies in here too.
its nice to hear them trying newer sounds with the guitars.

even the guitar "groove" in currents is pretty darn good.

I am obsessed with the guitar work in "currents" (the song)...so good.

Back in the day Eisley commented on my myspace with the following:
'Somebody is sure you love
"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no
matter what that means Smile'

@fragileaswelie
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Days later, and loving the album more and more. Having two (now three I guess, assuming Chauntelle wrote Millstone) capable main song writers/singers and five members to contribute influences, they always had a variety of styles/songs. This is on grand display here, yet each song fits with each other/thematically. This was a needed reminder as to why they are my favorite band.

Some thoughts about other comments:

mandy wrote:

I hope nobody is offended by this because I do love Stacy's songs so much and Sucre is amazing, but she comes across as so naive in her songs. Like she's a kid pretending to be a wise grandma. I'm sure a lot of the songs are emotionally significant for her, but it doesn't come across that way unless she is singing "in character" so to speak.

No, actually, I agree (side note, I agree with most your review...Even that "Wicked Child" may be my favorite and "Real World" is the one that needs more time, but is getting there with me!)

I love her songs and I get the jest of what they mean...and they seem to have a deeper meaning. However, lyrically, things are on that edge of being profound or *trying to be* profound. I usually just ignore that thought and enjoy the sounds, but I did notice that. It's not a complaint or a dig, but an observation, especially since Stacy and Sherri definitely word things differently (which is okay!).

wilsmith wrote:

This is definitely zone-out music.

They have no need to ever use a pro studio of producer/ engineer/ mixer outside of Andy Freeman and Jeremy Larson from here on out. I'm sure at some point Weston & Garron will be able to take over those responsibilities as well since they put the studio together.

By zone-out, you mean groove wise? It's definitely "groove" driven album...though, it's the opposite of background music to me! I love that many songs have "movements" and additions to make it interesting w/o being jumbled or just thrown to be weird. It all makes sense.

Even though getting outside influences may not always be a bad thing...I think I agree, and I'm pleasantly surprised! I keep looking back at my production sheet and am at wonder at such few names being involved.

From the last EP, I was almost worried. Soundwise, it was good...but a bit muffled/wandering in places...I wasn't sure if it had complete professional quality.

With "Currents," it has to be their most complete album. It's lush, but not too "wet" or overproduced like some say RN was (though I liked that dreamy sound). You can pick out individual voices/instruments, but it's not too "dry" like some say Combinations was. I agree that the vocal effects are great. Even the song placement and the "Currents"/water theme is played nicely without being forced.

I hope it gets more noticed, because it is probably their best collection of songs/album as a whole.

PS: The Mainframe! I had almost forgotten about that song. I'm even sure if I still have it on this computer, but I remembering loving it. Laughing Maybe there's hope.
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

Catey wrote:
Is anyone else automatically in love with Shelter from the get-go? Not sure why but I just fell in love with it as soon as Stacy's vocals started.

I am in love with this album from the first go through though, can't wait to listen to it in full again and again so I can pick out my winners.

I can't stop listening to Shelter - I've been playing it non-stop!
norad
Vintage Newbie

My bundle came in the mail today! Thanks for not telling me it shipped merchnow. The shirt is awesome looking and the album art poster is super super awesome (it's got shinny silver in it)!

Oh and Currents pretty great.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:

wilsmith wrote:

This is definitely zone-out music.

They have no need to ever use a pro studio of producer/ engineer/ mixer outside of Andy Freeman and Jeremy Larson from here on out. I'm sure at some point Weston & Garron will be able to take over those responsibilities as well since they put the studio together.

By zone-out, you mean groove wise? It's definitely "groove" driven album...though, it's the opposite of background music to me! I love that many songs have "movements" and additions to make it interesting w/o being jumbled or just thrown to be weird. It all makes sense.

Even though getting outside influences may not always be a bad thing...I think I agree, and I'm pleasantly surprised! I keep looking back at my production sheet and am at wonder at such few names being involved.

From the last EP, I was almost worried. Soundwise, it was good...but a bit muffled/wandering in places...I wasn't sure if it had complete professional quality.

Nah, that's not what I mean by zone-out. By zone out music, I mean it is totally absorbing. It's music you can meditate on and has a soothing quality. That also means that if it's on in the background it won't be intrusive, it will accentuate the atmosphere. Some of that is the tempo and rhythms, a lot of it is the melodic content.

A good example is that I have the cd in my car and driving to that stuff has been an excellent experience, because driving is also a zone-out experience for me.

I was a big fan of all the new material on Deep Space, and by the way Save My Soul sounds so much like Starflyer 59 I wonder if it was written around that time since they just kept writing from that point forward, and it is also one of the more rocking songs. The track Currents also reminds me of how the actual song Deep Space starts mellow and then "Takes off", well I guess except in this case the "Tide comes in" on the chorus of Currents. I would say, Deep Space embraced the big reverb and expansive guitars to play up the Wide Open vibe of space as well as the Eternally Night aspects of it. I'm sure if Andy Freeman were asked to provide a less smokey, otherworldly vibe, he'd provide it like a champ.

And Jeremy Larson is great at providing dynamic and energetic arrangements and bringing every sound to life. He has a knack for giving every element of an arrangement the appropriate highlight/ exposure in the mix at some point. But the key thing is that all this music, sans some string arrangements, came from the Duprees, and since they are the band, the band is in good hands with the Duprees as the producers, because they could take the music in so many directions successfully, should they decide to focus on one or two specifically for a release. I'm sure we'll see this play out in all their other projects. I look forward to it.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon May 27, 2013 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
oathmeal
Sea Post King

Merchnow still says my package is processing so it was a happy surprise when my bundle got delivered about an hour ago. Haven't noticed anyone mention this yet but has anyone else been floored by the coloring of the record?
boone
Vintage Newbie

I was pretty surprised that the record was so transparent. I thought it was going to be pretty much the same as the second pressing of The Valley. It's really trippy, though. I like.
tungsten
Sea Post King

Still growing and stretching with this album, trying to figure out how I feel about it as a whole. Right now I can only evaluate each song:

Currents:
I don't like how Currents darts in an out from being uplifting sounding "I will part the waters, if you say so" to dark sounding "Do you believe in fate baby?" Music is a very spiritual thing and it seems like the spirit of this song is all over the place. If that's its intent, a 'storm at sea' so to speak, it succeeds.

Blue Fish:
I'm in love with Sherri's vocals, the lyrics, and the verses and the "roller coaster" ending. The monotonous "We all Fall DOWN" chorus is perhaps the most repetitive section of music Eisley has ever produced, and they almost lost me on the song with that section. Still, the rest of it is so good and Sherri's vocal is so good I still like the song overall.

Drink the Water:
Wishing more songs on the album had been like this. People were talking previously about the lyrics being faith based, I think this one is perhaps the strongest in that regard. It has a spiritual quality to it that keeps me intrigued listen after listen.I love it because it has exotic touches, I'm still trying to figure out if has Asian or Middle eastern influences with the melody. Right now this is my favorite.

Save My Soul:
The first verse is almost Perma-ish, not a typical Sherri verse (lyrics are rushed and the vocal is a little more angsty-ish (example: 'tracks that held up my spine' lyric). Doesn't seem to fit with the chorus which sounds like more typical Sherri rock choruses (see Smarter/Sad/Many Funerals). I want to marry the BRIDGE, The best part of the song hands down (perhaps the best section of music on the whole album). I like parts of this song but it's individual parts do not seem to mesh well with each other.

Millstone: a refreshing pause after the confusing listen of Save My Soul, Millstone is peaceful and consistent in its entirety. Chauntelle gets props for a fantastic vocal. Although many have said that comparisons to Sixpence None the Richer are unfounded, I think Chauntelle is vocally the closest to Leigh Nash. Millstone's lyrics are exceptional while remaining simple (making it perhaps the most relatable song on the record).

Real World:
This one is still coming together for me. Perhaps Stacy's weakest song on the album, but it could grow on me more. It seems like a '60s or '70s tune that might have been reworked with Eisley-ish touches. Not sure it reached its full potential but I really enjoy it nonetheless.

Wicked Child:
I am loving the 1920s vibe I get from this song. I remember Sherri talking about Disney influences (ex: Babes in Toyland) and I think this seems like something that should have been in one of those kinds of films. This is the best Sherri song on the record, IMO (seems like old Eisley Sherri more than her other songs on the record).

Find Me Here: the vocal weaving in and out of Stacy and Sherri is beautiful. I love the lyrics but I find the melody on the verses almost a little too simple, generic even. When Sherri posted the lyrics "I'm a Watchtower in the morning" on twitter a while back I was expecting something dynamic and compelling melody wise. Overall though it's a very pretty song, it just doesn't grab me.

Lost Enemies:
The most eclectic song on the record and perhaps the most "classic" as well. It's moving, goofy, beautiful, sentimental and strange all at once. Wish they'd done a little bit more with the "Mother don't go out" ending, as that was my favorite part of the demo. So glad Eisley revisited this track.

Wonder English:
This one still leaves me confused . . . I like the references in the lyrics but I don't feel that this song has its own identity in and of itself. Also, the chorus is a little more simple and generic than I'm used to from Eisley (a bit too safe in the Beatlesy sounding chorus genre). This one might grow on me but right now I doubt it.

The Night Comes:
even more befuddled on this one than on Wonder English. Kind of plods along for me without ever really doing anything. The only part of the song I"m enjoying right now is the very high 'eyelids' part.

Shelter: I think this is perhaps the album's best song (along with Drink the Water). It possesses those elegant, beautiful qualities that filled up Sucré's A Minor Bird. If you were listening to this song in the right emotional conditions I think this one might make the listener cry (in a good way).
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

oathmeal wrote:
Merchnow still says my package is processing so it was a happy surprise when my bundle got delivered about an hour ago. Haven't noticed anyone mention this yet but has anyone else been floored by the coloring of the record?

Yup! Some of my friends have remarked on how pretty it is.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
drinkthewater
Sea Post King

I was actually going to comment and say I was really disappointed that my bundle still hadn't shipped, since with the holiday it meant it would not ship until Tuesday - the release day. But, since some of you haven't gotten the email I'm hopeful mine is already on its way ^_^
mandy
Sea Post King

I'm hoping mine shipped already although I'm not holding my breath. I'm glad others have got theirs already though and that the vinyl look better than expected.
norad
Vintage Newbie

I didn't get a shipment notification email and my bundle arrived this afternoon.
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

I just finished my second listen. This album just fits together as a whole so nicely, and to me it feels like exactly where Eisley should be after this long. I think about Room Noises, and before, and now this, and it's just so satisfactory for me. Like a really long journey that just suddenly ended at the place where it should.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
MichaelMakeArt
Sea Post King

I got my preorder on Friday afternoon, and got to listen to it back and forth from NYC to the Jersey Shore yesterday. This album is pretty freaking beautiful. Also, it is BEAUTIFULLY CLEAR that the members of the band are in love with their other halves, their budding families, and their family as a whole.

I just love knowing that this album was recorded and produced by Eisley -- that extra bit of intention and attention from the creators of the music itself really informs this album.

Also, Jeremy's mixing/mastering really shines on a good stereo system. It sounds so spacious and has some good moments of reverb on the vocals. I confess, some of these tracks sound a bit too distant on headphones, which isn't my taste in mastered sound. But then again, I could probably use a better set of headphones Wink
MichaelMakeArt
Sea Post King

tungsten wrote:

Drink the Water:
Wishing more songs on the album had been like this. People were talking previously about the lyrics being faith based, I think this one is perhaps the strongest in that regard. It has a spiritual quality to it that keeps me intrigued listen after listen.I love it because it has exotic touches, I'm still trying to figure out if has Asian or Middle eastern influences with the melody. Right now this is my favorite.

I was actually thinking about this song's lyrics yesterday. I feel like they are just as secular (or maybe even political) as they are spiritual. The idea of "drinking water from mud" sounds like a reference to sifting through overwhelming darkness to find lightness. And coming from a particular person, as the conversational lyrics suggest, it sounds like this person is telling the "wicked boy" to find the positives in a largely negative experience, with a hint of mischief. Sounds a little suspici-o-sus to me!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>