Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

It's up on iTunes for anyone wondering.

Also: the bridge in Save My Soul is VERY Copeland.

Last edited by JBaker on Mon May 27, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Just went live on Amazon as well. Getting the acoustic tracks now!

Edit: As always the songs sound just as good if not better stripped down (more or less stripped down). One of my favorite parts about Eisley is when Sherri and Stacy's voices are together and you can clearly hear those parts on the acoustic versions.
Last edited by Mystic210 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I got an email around 10pm from merchNOW with my download code for the album so it's official.

It seems like pre-ordering has replaced buying the cd or dl on release days. Wonder if there will be a bump in sales today, or have all the core fans made their purchases?

Oh, and I just want to add that Real World sounds like a perfect single for the adult alternative station here to me.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon May 27, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I got an email around 10pm from merchNOW with my download code for the album so it's official.

It seems like pre-ordering has replaced buying the cd or dl on release days. Wonder if there will be a bump in sales today, or have all the core fans made their purchases?

I just got it today. Didn't really have a reason to preorder.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

just wanna say, i love the acoustic versions!

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I haven't really had the opportunity to listen to the entire album yet, but I've got it playing now. But what I can state with certainty is that Stacy and Sherri have become much more dynamic singers as they've aged. They've both learned so much more of what their voices are capable of. Stacy has kind of mellowed in her music somewhat and Sherri has gone in the exact opposite direction with more of a rock driven influence.

I feel like of the two singers, Stacy has gone in a more positive direction, where Sherri sometimes goes in a direction that's not as favorable to her voice. I love Sherri's voice but it's getting lost in the lack of melody. The DuPrees have these gorgeous voices and they flourish when given a chance. Long connected sustained notes and melodies. It's not per say the speed or drive of the song but it's all the melody. Sherri is absolutely beautiful on songs like Wicked Child, but when she's singing songs like Save My Soul it's just not emphasizing her strengths. They're just running notes that don't really emphasize her voice.

That brings me to Chauntelle.

She's still so raw to us, and her voice has so far yet to go and that's so exciting because her voice is already so beautiful. She's like a young Stacy in this band and that's going to be fun to watch to see how she develops. I'm already loving Millstone to the degree that it's safe to say it's going to be my favorite song of the album. She's more talented than I believe she gives herself credit for. Aren't you excited?

keithabbott
Sea Post King

One more thing, I do see how it could get confusing listening to this band. I'm not sure we really know stylistically who this band is anymore. There's really no uniform direction. I'm not sure what to think of that. There's Perma, Sucre and who knows what coming from Chauntelle's solo album and I'm not sure they are trying to keep all of that separate anymore. The lines between projects seem to be becoming blurred.

Is that good? Or is that bad?

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I think it's great. Music is getting too rigid and predictable. People are staying in the lines far too often. I love the balance that Sherri's and Stacy's (and now Chauntelle's!!) songs bring to the table. Too far one way or another feels too one-dimensional (which is an issue I have with Sucre, as lovely as that music is ...). This album throws so many curves, and it kills me with awesomeness.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

2 Amazon user reviews and 1 thinks their tour is being funded by Kickstarter.
They must be a pretty big fan wanting to make a review so quickly, but they must not visit here to think they reached their goal.

No $7.99 CD at Best Buy this time, $9.99 is the lowest I see at the moment, but it is being widely distributed enough that every Best Buy store looks to be stocking it.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I think it's great. Music is getting too rigid and predictable. People are staying in the lines far too often.

While I don't dislike this album, I certainly don't think it's unpredictable or straying outside the lines.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

absolute punk gave it a good review too and the user response has been positive oddly. what i don't get is all the hate Find Me Here seems to be getting. i think it's an absolute gem.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
tungsten
Sea Post King

Currents has made me think about the Valley a lot more. A few reviews have mentioned the lack of songs like 'Watch it Die' and 'I Wish'; which was one of my first thoughts upon listening. Although Shelter takes the place of Kind and improves upon it. Real World might be comparable to Oxygen Mask (not the most impressive Stacy song on the record but still really good). Blue Fish / Save My Soul might be the answer to the one-two punch of Smarter / Sad.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Popular Bands with no explicit direction or limitation on what kind of music they are allowed to make:

The Beatles
U2
Radiohead
Coldplay
No Doubt

Come to mind. In this case 2 of the 4 are big influences on Eisley, which is another reason i like them. The number of mutual influences i share with Eisley and the varied but similar modern permutations of that influence has always been one if the reasons i was a fan, be it love for Jeremy Enigk or Local Natives, Bjork or Bon Iver.

There's not much being popularized that resembles the best work of any of those bands.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Midway through my second listen. While some of the stylistic vocal and guitar choices disagree strongly with my system, I'm even more blown away by the production quality than on the first listen. AND, that's just with whatever crappy bitrate Spotify streams + my laptop speakers. Even though I'm not a fan of the vocals on Blue Fish, I was still captivated by the breathing room all of the elements of the song are given and the way it jams. (Still came very close to skipping Save My Soul, though. Something about it is tragically Amanda Palmer-esque.)

Still, though, the production on Millstone feels completely out-of-place and kind of muddled & lo-fi like Bon Iver's earliest effort. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE THAT about it. It just doesn't fit together in the same way that the other tracks do for me.

And Real World... I also don't get the hate on this one. It's like a Combinations-era track given a pretty Jeremy Larson makeover. It's a stand-out for me this second time around. It exemplifies the guitar choices I'm really into on this album; the ones everyone is describing as "watery." INTO IT.

gonna edit here for my 2nd half of the album comments
I guess I should have waited to post/not jumped the gun.

I don't think I gave a very fair review the first time around, because my expectations were in a very weird place. I was so soured the first time around by Blue Fish and Save My Soul sounding so much like the direction Sherri was going in on The Valley and was pretty disappointed. But I find all of the rest of her efforts on the album likable at the very least. Wicked Child is fun and catchy. And The Night Comes might be my favorite Sherri track... ever. It gets dark and a little emo while remaining pretty and without moving up into that nasally high register that's a huge turn-off for me.

I was also upset because not every single Stacy song was the. best. ever. which I was unrealistically expecting. But I had to remind myself that Stacy songs are always grow-ers for me (other than Ambulance; that one gets you straight away.) Lost Enemies is kind of a miss for me, but in Stacy World, that's still 10x better than most s#!t out there. Shelter is a stunner. That repetitive little piano bit is gorgeous and reminds me of a theme that would be in an exciting moment of a BBC period drama. For me, The Night Comes/Shelter is the perfect one-two punch at the end of an album that Combinations/If You're Wondering wishes it were.

Bonus: once I read that review which mentioned Kate Bush, I'm hearing her everywhere in here. And that's fantastic.

Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I can see why Save My Soul would be off-putting. It's reminiscent of another acquired taste only me and bigideas seem to show a lot of love towards around here.

What would that be?

I'm streaming on Spotify.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>