Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Buy the acoustic bonus tracks on Amazon.com

bah humbug to the itunes store

http://www.amazon.com/Currents-Deluxe/dp/B00CN8W5OG/ref=sr_shvl_album_ 1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369930545&sr=301-1

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I've been listening to Eisley a lot lately. I've been listening to the Valley in my car and on my iPod I've been listening to Currents. It seems a lot of people like the first half of the album a lot, but I'm finding the last 3/4's of the album from Millstone onward more to my liking. Heck even The Night Comes is really growing on me.

And Shelter...gorgeous. I'm played violin for 12 years so that's probably why. I love my strings even if they are sometimes synthesized Wink

tungsten
Sea Post King

No love for Apple? Currents was pretty well displayed on the Alternative page for Itunes. And they gave Sucré a lot of love with the commercials and bus ads.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

MacRVA wrote:

On an unrelated note, is anyone else falling into an existential crisis after listening to Millstone too many times? Jeez Chauntelle, why's your first song gotta be the most heartbreaking song ever written?

YES! Crying or Very sad Laughing

I love everything about the song, but I have to remind myself not to internalize it too much so I don't suffer a break down. Wink
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

This album is growing on me more and more with every listen & Wicked Child is my kind of Eisley; it's just awesome! Also, really diggin' Weston's drums on this record! I can't wait to hear these jammies live.
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Someone upthread mentioned Chauntelle's singing in Wonder English? Where in the song? I haven't noticed it. That said, the bridge in Save My Soul sounds like Chauntelle to me (is it?)

Anyway, things I love about the album after 3 straight listens:

1. Save My Soul. Nice rock vibe.

2. Musical interlude in The Night Comes. Deliciously ominous.

3. Chorus in Wonder English. Quite literally has brought tears to my eyes from the poignant plaintive sound.

4. First Eisley album to feature all six siblings (no?)

5. Drumming throughout: very cool. So much syncopation and creative use of off-beats.

6. The whole album, really.

UPDATE: 7. The strings!

fragileaswelie
Sea Post King

golly andrew wrote:
um, I really like the album art.

Back in the day Eisley commented on my myspace with the following:
'Somebody is sure you love
"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no
matter what that means Smile'

@fragileaswelie
fragileaswelie
Sea Post King

StuartBuck wrote:
Well, everyone has different tastes: Wonder English is the highlight of the album for me. The harmonies on the chorus are heartbreakingly gorgeous to me, just like the chorus for Over the Mountains.

I agree! I find myself skipping songs to get to Wonder English.

"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no

@fragileaswelie
fragileaswelie
Sea Post King

After listening to the album in my car to and from work for a week, I've figured out my favorites and the ones I skip...

Favorites: Save My Soul, Blue Fish, Real World, Lost Enemies, Night Comes, Shelter

Skip: Millstone, Wicked Child, Find Me Here

Now I will be taking a break from listening to it so the album will be fresh next Thursday live!

"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no

@fragileaswelie
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

After more listens, the album as a whole has really grown on me. I like Wicked Child a whole lot more than I initially did. I've also been listening to it through better speakers and it's made me appreciate it more. Whoever said the last 3/4 of Currents was more to their liking, I completely agree. Save My Soul has grown on me, but I'm still not in love with anything but the bridge of that song. (@Stuartbuck It's Stacy in the bridge. You can tell by how she pronounces some of the words. Her pronunciation can be quite distinct, at times.)

Millstone is great, don't get me wrong, I love Chauntelle's voice. I just wish there was a little more dynamic to the song. I feel like it's pretty much the same for the entire song. Also, there aren't any harmonies in it, other than the breakdown part and I feel like that would help break up the monotony of it. It's not boring by any stretch, I love the melody of the song, I just feel like it would be in the running for my favorite if it had something else going on, nothing big, just something small.

I will say, Millstone makes me quite excited for Chauntelle's solo work.

Also, I have a weird relationship with "Lost Enemies"/Aristicats. I will always refer to it as Aristicats. I loved the demo and think some of the charm was lost on the album version. Also, they changed a few things about the song and I'm not so sure it was for the better. There were a lot more harmonies on the demo and that got lost in translation on the album. The harmonies were stinking extravagant, too. Also, they toned down the "spanish-esque" styled guitar picking on the album version, which really made the song for me. As much as I love this song, I'm disappointed with the treatment it got for the album, to be honest.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I so agree about Wicked Child. It's one of those that keeps getting better with time. That song has a lot of potential in a live setting. But the one track that really gets better and better...and BETTER and would be perfect for jamming out is The Night Comes. That track has got it all.

Kylee Janai wrote:
This album is growing on me more and more with
every listen & Wicked Child is my kind of Eisley; it's just awesome! Also, really diggin' Weston's drums on this record! I can't wait to hear these jammies live.

Last edited by keithabbott on Fri May 31, 2013 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
mandy
Sea Post King

I totally don't remember any of that in the demo. Laughing Apparently I never actually listened to it.
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I felt the same way that a little something was missing. But that's probably because I kept comparing it to other songs by some other amazing artists. And that made me realize how dang good it is in its own right. She's just beginning to find her voice and confidence. And to me that's quite exciting knowing how far she's come in a short time since the early days and her resurgence at Fool's Banquet.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
Millstone is great, don't get me wrong, I love Chauntelle's voice. I just wish there was a little more dynamic to the song. I feel like it's pretty much the same for the entire song. Also, there aren't any harmonies in it, other than the breakdown part and I feel like that would help break up the monotony of it. It's not boring by any stretch, I love the melody of the song, I just feel like it would be in the running for my favorite if it had something else going on, nothing big, just something small.

I will say, Millstone makes me quite excited for Chauntelle's solo work.

mandy
Sea Post King

Has anybody ever figured out what their vocal ranges are? I remember some discussion about it a while back and some of the harmonies in the songs have me wondering...
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i'm thinking sherri is soprano, stacy's a contralto, and chauntelle's a mezzo(?).

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>