Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
MacRVA
Sea Post King

tungsten wrote:
No love for Apple? Currents was pretty well displayed on the Alternative page for Itunes. And they gave Sucré a lot of love with the commercials and bus ads.

I don't hate Apple. I use a Powerbook and I have an iPod. But I can't upgrade my iTunes past 6.0 because there's a bug in iTunes 7.0 and after that silently goes through your music folders and deletes whole albums at random. I figured it'd be easier to downgrade to iTunes 6 rather than switch to a different music player, as I've not found one that I like as much as iTunes. But this does mean I can't use the iTunes store or have a newer iPod as they requite a later version of iTunes.
tungsten
Sea Post King

Ahh, my comment was actually towards Wilsmith who said something about
"bah humbug to the itunes store". I assume it was for a good reason, I was just confused cause they do seem to have been giving Eisley a fair share of exposure lately.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Lost Enemies is very faithful to the demo. The Spanish guitar part is still there but maybe not as Spanish-y as sounding, and all or most of the harmonies. The main thing I notice missing is the "but" leading into the chorus. They added an intro and added an instrumental part with the xylophone like sound. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean.

Real World is the only one that doesn't have anything really interesting for me, but I don't think it's bad at all.

I enjoy Weston's drumming and the instrumental passages. They're all playing great, interesting things.

I must like the sequencing, as I have listened to it 3 x's straight through and that has been increasingly hard for me to do with anything lately.

Eisley is on the front of Metacritic's Music page with only 5 reviews.
Paramore has 19. Shouldn't most of the same people cover both? There's still time for more reviews, I guess.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It's the shortest 51 minute album i've heard in a while. That says a lot about the pacing of the songs and album. Usually only Bjork gets me like that, making albums fly by in a good way.

tungsten wrote:
Ahh, my comment was actually towards Wilsmith who said something about
"bah humbug to the itunes store". I assume it was for a good reason, I was just confused cause they do seem to have been giving Eisley a fair share of exposure lately.

My bah humbug was in regards to MacRVA's specific situation regarding seemingly not being able to get the individual tracks.

Now personally i won't deny my overall dislike for the way itunes updates have progressively ruined the software experience for me in addition to how apple has pushed all software downloads to the app store which makes certain processes nightmarish in the enterprise environment, but that's a whole other issue...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri May 31, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacRVA
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
Now personally i won't deny my overall dislike for the way itunes updates have progressively ruined the software experience from me in addition to how aple has pushed all software downloads to the app store which makes certain processes nightmarish in the enterprise environment, but that's a whole other issue...

Yes!
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I suggested the album to Polyphonic Press and he reviewed it positively today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSc9bdrzuI

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:
tungsten wrote:
No love for Apple? Currents was pretty well displayed on the Alternative page for Itunes. And they gave Sucré a lot of love with the commercials and bus ads.

I don't hate Apple. I use a Powerbook and I have an iPod. But I can't upgrade my iTunes past 6.0 because there's a bug in iTunes 7.0 and after that silently goes through your music folders and deletes whole albums at random. I figured it'd be easier to downgrade to iTunes 6 rather than switch to a different music player, as I've not found one that I like as much as iTunes. But this does mean I can't use the iTunes store or have a newer iPod as they requite a later version of iTunes.

That is an INCREDIBLY remote bug that mostly affects Windows users. It's certainly not a reason to be using 8 year old software.

MacRVA
Sea Post King

JBaker wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
tungsten wrote:

That is an INCREDIBLY remote bug that mostly affects Windows users. It's certainly not a reason to be using 8 year old software.

Definitely isn't that remote since it happened to me three times. I lost thousands of songs from my library when it happened. Took me forever to figure out what was doing it. I'd certainly rather use eight year old software than have hundreds of albums just disappear at random.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I've been trying to refrain from commenting too much, but I can't! I'm glad there's a place to talk about the band's music, so forgive me!

About a week later, Currents is still the album on my music rotation. I've picked up Tricky's new one since then, and a couple other things, but I keep going back to Currents.

Using audio adjustments in my car, I'm appreciating the layers (instrument wise as well as vocally). Something else I like: throughout the album, their "atmospheric" sound effects/percussion often resemble waves/water. It's not just in the lyrics of the first few songs, but in the middle with Millstone all the way with the"The Night Comes." It's slight enough that it's not distracting and fits independently within the songs, but I appreciated it as part of the theme of the album.

I mean, I know you can argue that most of their music has those features, but I do feel it's fitting, whether purposely or not.

The song that probably grew on me the most: Wonder English. It was more standard, but now I just love the general feel/emotion/groove of the entire song. The bridge and guitar solo is awesome to me for some reason.

Other bits I love: The outros of Drink the Water and The Night Comes; Verses in Save my Soul, the mellow/aggressive contrast of Wicked Child, vocal play of Find Me Here, the uniqueness of Lost Enemies, Stacy's phrasing in Shelter, the honesty in Millstone. Even the one song that still doesn't give me any "geek out" moments, Real World, has great percussion and is still a good song.

Last side note: I never knew about that iTunes thing, but thanks for talking about it. It might have solved my confusion over what I thought was just in my head about missing music.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Lost Enemies is very faithful to the demo. The Spanish guitar part is still there but maybe not as Spanish-y as sounding, and all or most of the harmonies. The main thing I notice missing is the "but" leading into the chorus. They added an intro and added an instrumental part with the xylophone like sound. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean.

It's actually missing a lot of harmonies in the chorus and in the first part of the bridge. The "Now we wake up". They took out a lot of my favorite parts, harmony wise, or they put them too low in the mix. The harmony made the song pack a serious punch but the album version doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the demo still hits me. Don't get me wrong, it's still better than most music out there, but I'm just saddened they toned it down about. I loved how odd it was.

I also didn't like how they gave it the third chorus. I wish they would have written a different part altogether to keep with the unique, unstructured feeling the demo had, while still making it feel completely. I miss the "spanish" styling in it. I know the guitar part is still there, but it's not as quirky.

Re: Millstone

I do agree that it's better than what most put out so yeah, I'm excited to see Chauntelle's journey as a solo musician because she's already fantastic.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Wow, this keeps getting better.

Best Buy had it for $9.99 - that was the lowest I saw anywhere - so I ordered it online and got someone to Pick It Up for me in store.

Today I check my debit account and have $2 and change refunded from BB.

Apparently, they are crediting me now like it was $7.99.

Never had that happen before.

I know Amazon will give you the lowest price when you Pre-Order, but I've never had someone retroactively credit me back.

tungsten
Sea Post King

Best Buy in Dallas had it for 7.99 in store (on release day). Maybe that's why you got the refund?
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Did you know it was that price before they rang it up?
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Currents debuts at #66 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200?page=3
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:
tungsten wrote:

have you tried the zune software? It has watch folders so you dont have to manually add songs when you download them off the internet (legally of course) *cough*
and it looks pretty. I hav enever had any problems wtih it.
it is effectively dead and i dont thnk it will get any more updates, but it works and the store still gets all new music and videos

and, on the plus side, if you have a zune and link it up, if you change computers, you just plug your zune in an you can transfer the songs from your zune back to your computer

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>