Laughing City
MacRVA
Sea Post King

Kylee Janai wrote:
Really wish they were playing Wicked Child 'cause that's my jam off Currents, BUT I'm pretty happy with any setlist, really, 'cause I haven't seen 'em since 2011! It's crazy to think how much has happened since then!

Will you be at the Baltimore show? Say hi!
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I wish I'd looked at the setlist before I'd gone to the show, tbh... Probably my 9th or so time seeing the band, but by far my least favorite setlist I've ever seen them perform. On the other hand, it was the most polished I've ever seen their stage show. Would like to see a real headlining tour for Currents, because I have a lot of jams on that record now & I was sore about not getting to hear them. Golly Sandra may have not fit very well into this very angsty, Sherri-heavy set, but it was the sweetest bit of nostalgia for me. I believe they've played it every time I've seen them.
Lost at Forum

Golly Sandra certainly seems to be their go-to old-school song. When they did that acoustic show for Macy's in The Woodlands, the only non-Valley era song they played was Golly Sandra.
MacRVA
Sea Post King

I'm so excited for my trip. I'm leaving today. I'm gonna spend the next few days following Eisley and visiting friends in the areas they're playing in.

Today we're gonna drive to Asheville and stay the night with friends, then get up early tomorrow and drive to Atlanta to see the show there.

After Atlanta we're gonna drive back to Asheville, crash then get up early and drive to Carrobor. After Carroboro we're gonna crash with friends in Raleigh.

Then we're going to Norfolk, then back to Richmond to sleep. Then we're getting up early and going to Baltimore.

Five days, over 1600 miles, 27 hours of driving and four Eisley shows along the way. I'm soooo stoked.
Last edited by MacRVA on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
I wish I'd looked at the setlist before I'd gone to the show, tbh... Probably my 9th or so time seeing the band, but by far my least favorite setlist I've ever seen them perform. On the other hand, it was the most polished I've ever seen their stage show. Would like to see a real headlining tour for Currents, because I have a lot of jams on that record now & I was sore about not getting to hear them. Golly Sandra may have not fit very well into this very angsty, Sherri-heavy set, but it was the sweetest bit of nostalgia for me. I believe they've played it every time I've seen them.
Where did you see them? I found their show to be heartbreakingly awful, to be honest (had they practiced at all?), with the exception of Laugh it Off, which they nailed, and Drink the Water to a lesser extent. Golly Sandra was pretty good too, I suppose. It was nice to hear it with Stacy's mature voice, and was indeed nostalgic.

But yeah, the setlist clearly pandered to the SA crowd, and apparently they're saving most of the new material for a headlining tour. Probably not a bad move, and frankly, I'm kind of hoping for their sake this is their final tour of this nature. I found it odd the show wasn't mentioned in any of the "cool things to do this week/weekend" feature in the local papers/blogs, given Dallas is practically their hometown, and then I realized it was because Say Anything was headlining. Instead, Chvrches got all the buzz. And as cute as their lead singer is, Stacy's way cuter, and way more talented. Then again, given their performance, it was probably for the best.

Catey
Lost at Forum

I managed to find a live video of DTW....but it sounds so awkward live, like not sure if it was just bad sound / a dodgy video but something isn't translating live - and I never say bad things about Eisley but I'm not sure! Only video I've found of it is here so I can't even compare it
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Catey wrote:
I managed to find a live video of DTW....but it sounds so awkward live, like not sure if it was just bad sound / a dodgy video but something isn't translating live - and I never say bad things about Eisley but I'm not sure! Only video I've found of it is here so I can't even compare it

the recording is so weird in how it keeps going in and out.

edit-

i found this video freakinalex posted of save my soul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4aNUk0zWI

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

Catey wrote:

The people I've talked to that have been so far all thought the same about the song (and set in general with the exception of Laugh it Off and ICBT4U, which I think got cut after the first night?)
tungsten
Sea Post King

^^^ That's what I thought about I Wish and Watch it Die from some of the live videos as well but when I finally heard them live they sounded great.
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

The sound engineering was kind of a mess at the Houston show. Not just for Eisley, but for all four bands. I was thinking it was just an issue with the venue, which I'd never been to before, but maybe it's an overall issue with the tour?

The Man In The Moon wrote:
Catey wrote:

the recording is so weird in how it keeps going in and out.

edit-

i found this video freakinalex posted of save my soul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4aNUk0zWI

I don't know if you can really hear it in the video, but the crowd was asking them to turn down the bass. There was way too much bass throughout the entire show. But as you can tell from this video and the one I uploaded of Say Anything playing Colorblind, the instrument mixing was all out of wack. Granted, part of that is the crappy 5 megapixel camera I bought in 2006, but still.

At the Houston show, I thought the performance of Drink the Water was one of their best of the night, even with the mixing issues. Some of the issues in that video sound like they're issues with whatever camera the uploader used rather than the performance itself, since you can hear the crowd noises going in and out as well.

boone
Vintage Newbie

There probably wasn't enough bass trapping in the venue. I've noticed that a lot of places have too many subwoofers and not enough sound treatment, so the bass is far too loud and too boomy and indistinct.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
Where did you see them? I found their show to be heartbreakingly awful, to be honest (had they practiced at all?), with the exception of Laugh it Off, which they nailed, and Drink the Water to a lesser extent. Golly Sandra was pretty good too, I suppose. It was nice to hear it with Stacy's mature voice, and was indeed nostalgic.

But yeah, the setlist clearly pandered to the SA crowd, and apparently they're saving most of the new material for a headlining tour. Probably not a bad move, and frankly, I'm kind of hoping for their sake this is their final tour of this nature. I found it odd the show wasn't mentioned in any of the "cool things to do this week/weekend" feature in the local papers/blogs, given Dallas is practically their hometown, and then I realized it was because Say Anything was headlining. Instead, Chvrches got all the buzz. And as cute as their lead singer is, Stacy's way cuter, and way more talented. Then again, given their performance, it was probably for the best.

I saw them in Houston. What I meant by the most polished I've seen them is that they weren't awkward between songs and things flowed smoothly. I agree that the sound quality at the venue wasn't the best, but I believe it was marginally better from where I was sitting in the balcony.

Houston usually tends to be the first or second show on the tour, so there are generally a lot of fumbles with major feedback or pre-recorded loop issues. A lot of weird "we were born in Houston" banter that's unnecessary. And there was that show where the A/C was out and they had to cut the set short to, like, go vomit. So I'm just used to things going wrong at the Houston shows, and it was nice that nothing went too off course this time.

Lost at Forum

vivalaspopie wrote:
I saw them in Houston. What I meant by the most polished I've seen them is that they weren't awkward between songs and things flowed smoothly. I agree that the sound quality at the venue wasn't the best, but I believe it was marginally better from where I was sitting in the balcony.

Houston usually tends to be the first or second show on the tour, so there are generally a lot of fumbles with major feedback or pre-recorded loop issues. A lot of weird "we were born in Houston" banter that's unnecessary. And there was that show where the A/C was out and they had to cut the set short to, like, go vomit. So I'm just used to things going wrong at the Houston shows, and it was nice that nothing went too off course this time.

Had you ever been to Fitzgerald's before this? That was my first time there, and I gotta say, I wasn't too impressed by the venue. It was uncomfortably small and parking was a nightmare.

Also, on a partially unrelated note, did you see the car wreck that occurred right in front of the line just before they started letting people in? That was certainly interesting.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

MacRVA wrote:
I'm so excited for my trip. I'm leaving today. I'm gonna spend the next few days following Eisley and visiting friends in the areas they're playing in.

Today we're gonna drive to Asheville and stay the night with friends, then get up early tomorrow and drive to Atlanta to see the show there.

After Atlanta we're gonna drive back to Asheville, crash then get up early and drive to Carrobor. After Carroboro we're gonna crash with friends in Raleigh.

Then we're going to Norfolk, then back to Richmond to sleep. Then we're getting up early and going to Baltimore.

Five days, over 1600 miles, 27 hours of driving and four Eisley shows along the way. I'm soooo stoked.

Be safe and have fun!

And feel free to post if you do end up going to the Pittsburgh show!
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Catey wrote:

I'm surprised that it isn't just pure distortion considering he was recording from right against the stage. Sounds like they performed it very well. Chauntelle doing the mandolin like part was especially cool.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX