Laughing City
MacRVA
Sea Post King

Just got back to Asheville. Four hour drive after the show to crash on my friend's floor. Carrboro tomorrow. Set was awesome tonight. They did Many Funerals but skipped Smarter. I think I'm losing my voice already.

The venue they played in Atlanta, the Masquerade is maybe my all time least favourite music venue I've ever been to. Incompetent staff, not great sound, just a dump. We showed up over three hours early and were the second group in line but the staff screwed up the queue setup when they did doors and we ended up like twentieth or so in line.

Talked to Collin and he says new Merriment will be out in the fall probably. Stoked for that.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

MacRVA wrote:
Just got back to Asheville. Four hour drive after the show to crash on my friend's floor. Carrboro tomorrow. Set was awesome tonight. They did Many Funerals but skipped Smarter. I think I'm losing my voice already.

The venue they played in Atlanta, the Masquerade is maybe my all time least favourite music venue I've ever been to. Incompetent staff, not great sound, just a dump. We showed up over three hours early and were the second group in line but the staff screwed up the queue setup when they did doors and we ended up like twentieth or so in line.

Talked to Collin and he says new Merriment will be out in the fall probably. Stoked for that.

huh, in that case, i don't feel so bad about missing the atlanta show then. i'm still a little sore about missing fleetwood mac earlier this week...

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
MacRVA
Sea Post King

Currently waiting in line for the Norfolk show and posting on the LC. The wonders of technology, right?

Show last night at Cat's Cradle was amazing. Definitely a better venue with much better sound than the Masquerade. HRVRD had van troubles and couldn't play last night so I got to see Eisley early and get out in time for pizza. CC is a much more intimate venue than the Masquerade or the Norva.

This trip has been so fun so far. Visiting friends and eating at a bunch of really great vegan restaurants along the way.

If anyone cares enough to wanna check out my Instagram my username is VeganMac. My lady friend and I are using the hashtag #EisleyTrip2013 to keep track of our pictures from this adventure.
MacRVA
Sea Post King

Also I should say that Northern Faces are awesome. Really loving them every night. HRVRD is cool too but not really up my alley.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

freakinalex wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
I saw them in Houston. What I meant by the most polished I've seen them is that they weren't awkward between songs and things flowed smoothly. I agree that the sound quality at the venue wasn't the best, but I believe it was marginally better from where I was sitting in the balcony.

Houston usually tends to be the first or second show on the tour, so there are generally a lot of fumbles with major feedback or pre-recorded loop issues. A lot of weird "we were born in Houston" banter that's unnecessary. And there was that show where the A/C was out and they had to cut the set short to, like, go vomit. So I'm just used to things going wrong at the Houston shows, and it was nice that nothing went too off course this time.

Had you ever been to Fitzgerald's before this? That was my first time there, and I gotta say, I wasn't too impressed by the venue. It was uncomfortably small and parking was a nightmare.

Also, on a partially unrelated note, did you see the car wreck that occurred right in front of the line just before they started letting people in? That was certainly interesting.

That was my 4th or 5th time at Fitzgerald's and, honestly, that was the worst it's ever been. The only other show I'd ever seen upstairs there only had a cellist, a violinist, and a drummer, though. And everyone sat on the floor and it was really nice. I also saw Twin Sister perform downstairs there a few years back and it was maybe the best show I've ever seen in my life.

Sea Post King

Finally got home from the tour last night about two am. This trip was such a blast overall.

The Norfolk show was great as was the Baltimore show. We met some people from the LC in Baltimore, Cory and Kylee which was awesome. I got to go backstage in Baltimore and get a pic with Sherri, Weston, Chauntelle, and Collin (+babies) which was awesome.

Can't wait for the next tour. Hopefully they'll be a headlining tour with Merriment by the end of the year.

Hope everyone else gets a chance to see them on this tour.
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Out of curiosity do you know what the setlist for Baltimore was? That way I know what I missed. Cool
MacRVA
Sea Post King

keithabbott wrote:
Out of curiosity do you know what the setlist for Baltimore was? That way I know what I missed. Cool

Didn't write it down or anything but if memory serves me it was Currents. Sad. Save My Soul. Invasion. Deep Space. Laugh it Off. Golly Sandra. Many Funerals. Drink the Water.
plentypine
Sea Post King

vivalaspopie wrote:
Houston usually tends to be the first or second show on the tour, so there are generally a lot of fumbles with major feedback or pre-recorded loop issues. A lot of weird "we were born in Houston" banter that's unnecessary. And there was that show where the A/C was out and they had to cut the set short to, like, go vomit. So I'm just used to things going wrong at the Houston shows, and it was nice that nothing went too off course this time.

July 5, 2005 NEVER FORGET! That was my first Eisley show, and it's really sad that it's like my benchmark for bad shows. "Well, I didn't almost die of heat exhaustion, so that's a plus."

I wish I had looked at the setlist too, since I went thinking there would be way more Currents tracks played. But I did get Rising Fawn's EP early, so that was worth it. And Fitzgerald's is not my favorite venue because every time I'm on that balcony/ deck I feel like it could collapse at any moment, but that's just me.
MichaelMakeArt
Sea Post King

I went to the Friday show at Irving Plaza in Manhattan. I wasn't feeling the openers at all -- save for the very shoegazy first opener, Xo.

Eisley was great though. I felt bad for Sherri, who told the audience that she was sick. Her voice was beautiful, and they soldiered through the 10 song set.

However -- I'm not sure if it was the Say Anything-exclusive fans or just the fact that New York is a difficult place to see concerts, but the audience was horrible. At times, Eisley was barely audible over the chit-chat of the crowd. I love living in such a social city, but dearest me, is it that hard to listen to live music without telling your friend about the last episode of Game of Thrones.

I hate feeling like that, but it just felt entirely disrespectful to Eisley. My boyfriend and I left after their set, and so did a quarter of the crowd.
ync
Golly, Poster

boston show was great - sherri was still sick though but she rocked it.

i really liked i the mighty but didn't care for hrvrd - i liked their sound but couldn't really get into the guys voice.

eisley really pushed it and it was great - i was standing in a bad spot though so the sound wasn't so great. the crowd loved them and gave them a lot of positive feedback...lots of screaming and cheers it was really great, probably the most response i've seen from a crowd to them at a boston show.

SA was great, they put on what i believe to have been an extra long set and max played a song he's never played live or had rehearsed and then the rest of the band came back out after the encore for 2 more songs.

um - garron is playing bass for SA? i have never seen more of a stage presence from him and it was so amazing - i was so happy for him haha. reed also did a great job!

i picked up chauntelle's ep and listened to it on the way home - it's absolutely gorgeous. i also picked up a shirt, it just says eisley and it's honestly something i've always wanted from them as much as i love sherri's art a nice plain t is great. warning for future shows - they only have small and x-small shirts at the moment.

saw kayla and christie floating around too - didn't say hi but it was nice to see them Smile

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
Last edited by ync on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Wow, scoop of the day re: Garron in the touring line-up of Say Anything. Next thing you know Collin will be playing guitar for them & Christie will be playing keys. They'll have to change the band name to Say Merriment Laughing

Technically Todd is now signed to Rory Records as a member of Rising Fawn, so if not Collin then he could be conscripted into Say Anything as well. Who knows what might happen?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

MichaelMakeArt wrote:
However -- I'm not sure if it was the Say Anything-exclusive fans or just the fact that New York is a difficult place to see concerts, but the audience was horrible. At times, Eisley was barely audible over the chit-chat of the crowd. I love living in such a social city, but dearest me, is it that hard to listen to live music without telling your friend about the last episode of Game of Thrones.

I've been to a lot of shows in Houston like that. Once it was so bad that Jenny Lewis stopped mid-song because she could barely hear herself over all the noise.

The SA show wasn't as bad compared to some of the shows I've been to, though there were a couple of guys who were flagrantly blazing up in the middle of the crowd.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Just got back from the Pittsburgh show.

Each band had a very tight set, especially the two other openers. They played with tons of energy, and then were off. The second band's frontman went into the crowd for a bit, which was interesting.

Now Eisley -- Eisley was great! I'm so glad I went (especially since on the front page of this site, they said this will probably be their only tour of the year!). Knowing the set list helped, and really, each song had me jamming when they played them live. Also there were some surprises. 1) I didn't know Stacy would play guitar on "Currents" and "Save My Soul" and 2)

THEY PLAYED "I COULD BE THERE FOR YOU"!!!!!!

I geeked out when I heard the added introduction starting. I was not expecting that based on past reports, but they took out Golly Sandra and added that song back in. It's one of my favorites, so that was a switch I was fine with. Otherwise, the set list was the same from the most recent shows (still no "Better Love" from the first couple shows).

During their set, the audience was receptive for the most part and cheering...many were fans. The merch table was lined up after their set (though, still only xs in their t-shirts!) and friends with me (who were SA fans) gushed about their songs, so they seemingly won people over!

The SA set was good. The crowd was singing/swaying and really into it. Sherri sang on one song and they brought out their daughter later as well.

Even though I personally only went for one band, overall the concert was a good one!
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Mystic210 wrote:
I'm so glad I went (especially since on the front page of this site, they said this will probably be their only tour of the year!).

WHAT!?

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand