Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
boone
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
It just dawned on me that the typical criticisms about Sherri over the years are the exact same ones people have had about Taylor Swift...

[Insert Fry meme here.]

That is exponentially lame. Seriously, exponentially. To the 4th dimension of lameness even.

I think part of it was that a lot of the more renowned posters (probably including myself) got a little too comfortable with and felt way too close to the band and started picking at different band members and even the family members in some sort of attempt to seem "in the know," but the Sherri picking seemed the most severe, and that must have really sucked for her at the time.

Also, we've had a lot of music students come though and get pretty picky as they learn how trained singing is supposed to be, but eventually get more practical and understanding as they reach the pinnacle of their learning. It's funny like that.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Though they may drift off towards varying extremes, I think everyone in the band has become more accomplished in the artistic/ musical sense over time, which is natural. In some cases it's become more polarizing because those developments didn't go the direction some might hope.

I think the maturation and stability of the band has a calming effect on the fan base. For a while there it was like a crazy E! or Mtv reality show with all the drama, and now things are remarkably more down to earth, which is hard to imagine. Less drama of the interpersonal kind, and instead the grit and grind of making a living and dealing with costs in pursuing one's dreams. It's not the stuff of Hollywood, it's more of a populist drama, though some would argue that because we're talking about careers in performing arts, it merits less gravitas than the plight of a farmer.

I look at it like this: If someone is catering to my own indulgences to provide for their necessities, their struggle is just as worthy of empathy as that of the person who caters to my perceived needs to provide for their necessities (or indulgences in many cases). It's not the trade of the person that measures their character, it's their how they go about their craft, and what they do with the fruits of their labor.

As far as I can tell, the fruit of the Valley and touring behind it was/ is Deep Space, their home studio, and Currents. What I got for the money I put into the band has more than come back to me in artistic and emotional gratification. For me, and i'm sure many other people, music is an audio form of behavior modification. It's cheaper than pharmaceuticals and infinitely better for you if can become a well-adjusted functional adult by way of its effect on you.

Currents especially feels suited to that aim.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Man In The Moon, if memory serves me correctly, you're usually on the Pro-Sherri side, like me, and Boone, and Antrider, and I'm sure there were more of us than that... so we're all about Sherri's talent. But the people always throwing her under the bus talk like she lost her ability to sing once they finished tracking Room Noises or something... Confused

I'm not mad at them, but seriously, we gotta bring this back

All of this. And having preferences is one thing but some people (from both camps mind you) get a big superiority complex based on their preference, and, really it's a bit extreme and people need to calm down.

Anyways, I have been really loving Currents. I feel that of all of their albums so far it is their most cohesive work, and some of the subtle touches are just incredible. I notice something new about it on every listen.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i keep falling in love with the songs the more i listen to them. there's a lot of depths and layers to all of them.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
i keep falling in love with the songs the more i listen to them. there's a lot of depths and layers to all of them.

Agreed. The depth is killer.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Finally found my CD today, had mistakenly filed it away with Shannon Wright (which is a big compliment to Eisley, she's rules). Listening back to the song Currents, what I initially thought was double drum tracks, might actually be just really good stereo micing, and excellent use of Maracas and Tambourine. There are a few stick clicks that might be added for emphasis, but yeah, The Best Dupree indeed.

And Blue Fish just sounds all the more incredible with time, and it will make one heck of a sing-a-long on the headlining tour, I could see that crescendo/round/coda going on forever...

BTW, all that talk of Vocals, who's singing lead on the Bridge of Save My Soul? I thought it was Chauntelle all this time, but it could just as easily be Stacy. Then it hit me, what if that's Sherri??? Shocked

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
johnip
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
BTW, all that talk of Vocals, who's singing lead on the Bridge of Save My Soul? I thought it was Chauntelle all this time, but it could just as easily be Stacy. Then it hit me, what if that's Sherri??? Shocked

Pretty sure it's Stacy.

Sea Post King

First round through is Stacy, the 2nd time Sherri and Chauntelle sing harmony with Stacy (from live videos).

Record wise I believe it's Stacy, Sherri, and Max.
tungsten
Sea Post King

proof at about 2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Zd1hPx918
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i really can't figure out where some of the vocals are stacy's or chauntelle's. i thought a lot of stacy, but upon closer listening it's just hard to tell. i didn't notice some of the lower harmonies in currents till now. some of the outro vocals in blue fish seem like they could be stacy's or chauntelle's alternating. the same goes with drink the water at the end. i don't know! i hope chauntelle has more songs on future albums. i'm wondering if the songs for rising fawn were also written for currents or if they're completely new.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

One thing that struck me even on first listen is that Stacy sings on most of Sherri's (presumably since they don't specify like on The Valley) songs, but I don't think there's any significant, immediately recognizable Sherri vocals on any of Stacy's songs. That's more than a little strange, and practically the only letdown.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

johnip wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Pretty sure it's Stacy.

Yerp, I'd stake my steak on it. Mr. Green

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tungsten wrote:

1. Ha. Forgot that Stacy might be playing more guitar, and boom, there's proof right there. Rocking out with the tinted glasses/ retro shades?

2. Credit to Max cause that bridge is my favorite part of Save My Soul. It makes me wish it was like One Last Song, where what seems like a bridge/ outro lasted as long of not longer than the verses and choruses.

3. The observations about the Background vocals, discerning the lower ones, and what seems like an Absence of Sherri on the Stacy songs are the same for me.

4. Considering the style of songs on Rising Fawn, it struck me that The Night Comes could be a Chauntelle song, even though it seems most of the songs with heavy strumming make me think of Sherri given she's toured in that fashion. There was another on the album i gave that same thought, but forgot which one.

Last edited by wilsmith on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
tungsten
Sea Post King

Thinking that they could have had Chauntelle do the "Break into the outer world, Child" part on Lost Enemies and that would have been a really nice touch.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

grain thrower wrote:
One thing that struck me even on first listen is that Stacy sings on most of Sherri's (presumably since they don't specify like on The Valley) songs, but I don't think there's any significant, immediately recognizable Sherri vocals on any of Stacy's songs. That's more than a little strange, and practically the only letdown.

actually, i noticed this a lot from the valley and onward. a lot of sherri's songs feature stacy outright, but a lot of stacy's songs don't feature sherri or chauntelle except for harmonies (ie. the valley, oxygen mask, be kind, ambulance, and laugh it off).

stacy songs that feature her sisters outside of harmonies:
watch it die
i wish (debatably co-written)

sherri's songs that feature her sisters on lead vocals:
smarter
sad (small part at bridge, but still)
better love
please
lights out
deep space

i've also noticed that with the harmonies on sherri's songs, you can distinctly tell it's someone else where on stacy's songs it sounds like she's doing a lot of self harmonies. however, it could be that their vocals sound very similar at low frequencies too.

looking on the old mosseisley eps, it seems they were very intentional about writing songs that featured all of them. as they move forward, it seems sherri is the one that kinda keeps doing that where stacy doesn't. however, i also get that they probably don't co-write as much as they use to and that probably makes it harder to intentionally write and include vocal parts of each other in songs. oh also, i remember reading a while ago that sherri wrote most of the songs off of room noises. i'm feeling that the few songs soley written my stacy were this way as well back then. it's harder to recognize there though, as their voices blend in more and there was a lot more co-writing going on i think.

edit-

and sherri songs that feature no one else on lead:
mr. moon
192 days
one last song

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>