Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Actually, Michael wrote it, & I "digitally remastered" it from the original writings. Laughing

Also, If you want to take some random notes and observations of a show you went to, and have me turn it into a similar block of just short of tl;dr text, feel free to post it here or DM, I mean PM me with it! Mr. Green

We want you!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Saw the show last night in DC. It would appear that muddy was the word of the night last night too. The U Street Music Hall is in a small long basement with speakers placed in a 6.0 surround sound pattern. There was a wall of sound for Eisley, but for Merriment it worked perfectly. I realized last night, they are not a better live band without their dad on tour. Boyd brings a lot to the table when it comes to analyzing the mix and getting the guys at the table to adust the sound just right.

That said, it was enjoyable and I was really impressed and surprised hearing Millstone and absolutely loved hearing Wicked Child.

Jared x
Lost at Forum

These technical difficulties are somewhat disheartening. Confused I hope they figure it out. Out of the ten or so times I've seen 'em, they've had at least one issue just about every show from what I can remember. Back then I thought it was sorta fun and cute, but now...not so much.. But I know they can't help it if a venue has poor acoustics.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:
Thanks for the review! I'm excited to see them next week.

Interesting that they have a light show going on as well! It seems like it is complimentary and not distracting/blinding?

And I hate to complain about the set list, since I"m just happy they are touring at all, but no "Wonder English"? Find Me Here? The Night Comes? The Current songs are all the ones they've played before, no?
I said that to my husband last night; he thought he remembered them playing like one Currents song, but there were definitely at least 3. I think they've added a couple this go, but still... The tour is to promote the album, right? And it's such a daggone good album. :/
Last edited by tahruh on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

the have been playing these off currents since just before it came out with varying frequency depending on which tour:

currents
save my soul
drink the water

find me here at brewtones - pre-release show fall 2012
wicked child at brewtones - pre-release show fall 2012

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

Obviously, their repertoire is large enough now that they might have to start cycling which songs they play on tours. For example, I believe they've played Many Funerals on pretty much every tour since the Combinations release. Why not throw in Ten Cent Blues or Go Away instead on one or two tours?

And Marvelous Things? I know that's a favorite but it might be nice to get ODISFA or Just Like We Do thrown in instead. I'm sure it's hard catering to people's wishes but doesn't 'it make sense to have some sort of rotation in on what's played?
Christian
Sea Post King

tungsten wrote:
Obviously, their repertoire is large enough now that they might have to start cycling which songs they play on tours. For example, I believe they've played Many Funerals on pretty much every tour since the Combinations release. Why not throw in Ten Cent Blues or Go Away instead on one or two tours?

I might actually burst into tears of joy if that happened. It is such a fun song to listen to and to watch them perform.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I wonder if the give any consideration to how often Stacy or Sherri (and Chauntelle at this point though still to a lesser degree) sing lead when they make a set list? They have 20 songs to divvy up between 4 albums and an album's worth of officially released EP only tracks based on the length of their set on this tour.

I would say that's roughly 55-60 songs total. I think it's pretty bold that they are omitting so many of their singles from the set list this go around, but I'm sure set continuity is a consideration as well. They said Stacy sequences the album track listings, or did in the past. I wonder who sequences the sets? The order the songs are played in can really help or hurt a performance, and maybe that's why they omit some songs rather than others, besides the issue of fatigue?

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

read the review wil and nora wrote up from my post. love it!

and yea i thought real world would be played too. the only song off currents i can see them not playing would be lost enemies since that one seems to have a trickier arrangements with more keyboards and synths than guitar. i really liked the addition of if you're wondering though, but i could do without ever hearing any of the other combinations songs again except maybe ICBTFY, combinations, like the actors, and MKD (if only they would though…).

also, i feel like that the band doesn't necessarily seem confident enough in their abilities in a live setting. it'd be nice to see how they'd fare if they tried ditching the click and tracks for a change. it might make their set a little more minimalist, but also probably make the sets a little more rock based as well as force them to be a little more creative.

all this gets me thinking though, especially in the case of lost enemies, that it'd be cool to see eisley go the route of radiohead's kid a at some point. i mean this in the way the album was produced in that all the members of radiohead playing instruments that weren't what they typically played in the band nor instruments they used previously. not saying eisley should go towards an electronic experimental route, as interesting as that would be for me, but i think they should venture out of the way they've been doing things for almost the past decade now and really getting out of their comfort zone. i think i could see songs like MKD and lost enemies being played live from this approach.

edit-

just a random thought, but seeing the show tuesday night with my friend made me wish more that sherri would try out a solo album soon. i can see it having some sort of a stevie nicks vibe to it. one can dream though.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

tungsten wrote:

And Marvelous Things? I know that's a favorite but it might be nice to get ODISFA or Just Like We Do thrown in instead. I'm sure it's hard catering to people's wishes but doesn't 'it make sense to have some sort of rotation in on what's played?

They've been playing Many Funerals live since about 2005 and it still hasn't grown on me. The Combinations tour was the most inventive Ive witnessed setwise: Lady of the Wood, ODISFA, Blackened Crown, the ICBT4U intro, Ten Cent Blues. The need to rawwwk or whatever grows every tour. Ehh.

Do any of you have a Merriment setlist or kind of an idea?
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

princesstripandfall wrote:
tungsten wrote:

They've been playing Many Funerals live since about 2005 and it still hasn't grown on me. The Combinations tour was the most inventive Ive witnessed setwise: Lady of the Wood, ODISFA, Blackened Crown, the ICBT4U intro, Ten Cent Blues. The need to rawwwk or whatever grows every tour. Ehh.

Do any of you have a Merriment setlist or kind of an idea?

ugh, before they announced brightly wound, they said it was a really old song that they wrote forever ago. i was hoping it was blackened crown.

i got there too late and only caught the last merriment song.

edit-

i feel similarly about many funerals. i'd like it if it weren't for the second verse.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I like Many Funerals, because I love jaunty waltzes, but it always seems to be in an odd spot in the set. Its an opening song, a high energy introduction, and positioning it in another spot makes it stick out. I want to say when I saw them here they Played it early, maybe right after Smarter, which opened the set? What's key is that it was followed by Light's Out, one of my favorite songs of theirs, another waltz, so they flowed really well and the change in mood from one to the other lifted up the vibe and they followed with maybe Better Love? It was a great "rock" set that flowed really well the whole night. They even did a drum and bass build up jam into The Valley that left me guessing what song it was. It was very cool.

I think their comfort level may very as they progress on the road? We'll find out soon enough. Merriment benefit from having less elements in their show, but regardless they have sounded perfect both times I saw them, the second with Weston drumming cause he got bored waiting on Eisley's set.

MacRVA
Sea Post King

I always feel unqualified to really speak to the sound at Eisley shows since I'm not a musician. But I couldn't disagree more with the sound at U Street being bad. I thought they sounded amazing as did the people I was with. Maybe there are nuances to sound engineering, &c to which I am not privy since I don't play music or work with sound equipment but I was blown away by how great they sounded. Probably the best I've ever heard them in my ~15 times seeing them. The Currents songs sound even better live than I anticipated.

Also the outdoor acoustic set really did make my proposal so much better. I'm really not mad that the show got moved outside.

Can't wait for the Philly and NYC shows. If anyone from the LC will be there ce find me and say hello. I have platinum blonde hair and hand tattoos. I stick out like a sore thumb.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Very Happy sometimes it's just where you stand in a room that can make all the difference sound wise. Closer to the stage you get to hear their monitors, which is a mixed blessing. Standing central vs. to one side or another, matters, as does proximity to PA speakers.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>