Laughing City
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Very Happy sometimes it's just where you stand in a room that can make all the difference sound wise. Closer to the stage you get to hear their monitors, which is a mixed blessing. Standing central vs. to one side or another, matters, as does proximity to PA speakers.

That was another thing I was considering too. I saw mewithoutyou at exit/in last month with touche amore and I was in the back the whole time. It sounded decent. First time I saw eisley at exit/in I was upfront.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Best spot in the house for sound is always going to be as close to the Audio Engineers main board or reference mic as possible. Results may vary elsewhere. Bystander beware.

The one fix I've found for getting great sound direct from stage is having amps loud enough to sound good playing over bass and drums without overworking them and playing them at optimum volume and only putting a small portion of that through the mix to get coverage on both sides of the room. No need to pan because the actually amp will provide the panning by nature of its true location. That means the amp placements have to be proper relative to projecting volume to the back of the room.

The only thing I would mix through the PA is vocals, and that requires having a PA loud enough to put vocal on top of the stage mix coming directly from the Amps and Rhythm section without pumping them through the PA in a noticeable way. That's how I used to mix small rooms. A band will sound like themselves playing, but there is enough flexibility to polish and shape their sound without taxing the PA, or forcing the vocalists to strain to be heard over the mix.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

FYI, I always try to mix the show from the middle of the crowd, but many times I end up towards the back of the middle. At U Street, it sounded pretty weird at the house sound booth, but it sounded great to me where I was mixing from, around the middle of the room. Apart from the Nashville show, this tour has been, by far, the best sounding Eisley tour ever. (Exit/In hasn't sounded very good since they replaced their old speakers. The two intersection-named venues in Nashville sound way, way better.)
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Kappa962 wrote:
FYI, I always try to mix the show from the middle of the crowd, but many times I end up towards the back of the middle. At U Street, it sounded pretty weird at the house sound booth, but it sounded great to me where I was mixing from, around the middle of the room. Apart from the Nashville show, this tour has been, by far, the best sounding Eisley tour ever. (Exit/In hasn't sounded very good since they replaced their old speakers. The two intersection-named venues in Nashville sound way, way better.)

Ok! I knew something was up! And yea seen them at both venues you speak of and I'll say 3rd and Lindsley was best sounding both times. 12th and porter not terrible either.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
the have been playing these off currents since just before it came out with varying frequency depending on which tour:

currents
save my soul
drink the water

find me here at brewtones - pre-release show fall 2012
wicked child at brewtones - pre-release show fall 2012

So, I'm just imagining them playing Blue Fish during their last tour with Say Anything, then? Not surprising (me imagining it). Laughing
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Maybe they did. Those are the ones I know I've seen video of though. I see there is video of Sherri playing it solo, which I assume is from the Merriment, Sherri, Max and Matt (forgets last name) acoustic tour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dqHPWIpQz8

On this set list from their tour last year with Say Anything it's not listed http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eisley/2013/the-door-dallas-tx-6bd9f272. html

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

nice vid of Blue Fish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulSbgFDXLUk
Christian
Sea Post King

They didn't play Watch It Die last night. Otherwise that was a great show.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Hey all! I just came back from the Pittsburgh show and wanted to share some snippets! Set list was the same (except no Watch It Die), so I'm going to try to share some other things.

First, let me say---what a fun show! I was actually pleasantly surprised. This venue isn't my favorite; it's pretty small, more or less an attic, and very stuffy. They played here before, maybe the last headlining tour; they were fine, but it wasn't my favorite experience, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Despite the venue, Eisley was excellent!

ATMOSPHERE/CROWD: Great crowd. Usually Pittsburgh crowds are pretty calm and quiet, but from "Invasion" onward it was more a sing-a-long than anything. People especially knew the songs from the Valley and before, but really, there was a good group singing (and luckily, they were in tune. Wink )

SOUND/PRODUCTION: I was worried after some other reports, but the sound, to me, was excellent! Nothing was overblown, everything was clear. There may have been an issue or two with equipment or starting a song, but really, nothing that I remember specifically, so it didn't impede on my enjoyment.

I loved the lighting. Many bands have background lighting, but most are more distracting (or downright blinding!) rather than enhancing. Not Eisley's. They illuminated the stage and the crowd, but it didn't blind the audience, so it was very good.

OTHER NOTES: I know some don't like banter, but I love when bands show their personality and their spokesperson Sherri was charming tonight, as usual. They mentioned several times that they were sick and losing their voices, but they made jokes about it and honestly, it wasn't obvious except when they were speaking. Funny intro: Talking about their children and praising Christie for babysitting them during their set, they joked at how they cry each night when they had to leave to perform, like they aren't coming back, yet they always do (with full on crying faces, imitating them Laughing)...and then they went on to introduce the song "Wicked Child." Even mentioned an old tumblr called "Eisley Secrets." Was it all hate or something? I maybe remember hearing about it, but that was before even I was a fan, I think.

OTHER FUN MOMENT: Halfway through the show, I guess Sherri ran out of water (probably trying to save her voice) and she thought she was out. Weston passed up a partial case of bottled water so she could have more. Well, it was so hot in there, she decided to share it with the crowd! After she got hers, she passed the case to the crowd and quite a few people were able to get water (she directed to share it with the people in the back as well, and we did!). Anyway, I thought that was nice of her/them.

OVERALL: I had some reservations checking out this show (venue, work night, going solo), but I'm SO glad I went. Very enjoyable and it reminded me as to why I still consider them my favorite band.

PS/QUESTION: Did they film any other show? There were at least four people filming professionally and I wasn't sure if they were trying to put together an official concert DVD or something or if it was a local group filming. Just wondering...
Last edited by Mystic210 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

As far as I know the nashville show wasn't professionally filmed. When they played the same venue with Rooney it was streamed online. Don't know if they did it this time. It's be cool if we finally got a full live album/DVD. I remember there some videos on Vimeo a few years back but I don't think anything came of them.

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

tungsten wrote:

nice, thanks!

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Can I Edit this and post it on StrangeYellowPatterns.com ?

Mystic210 wrote:
Hey all! I just came back from the Pittsburgh show and wanted to share some snippets! Set list was the same (except no Watch It Die), so I'm going to try to share some other things.

First, let me say---what a fun show! I was actually pleasantly surprised. This venue isn't my favorite; it's pretty small, more or less an attic, and very stuffy. They played here before, maybe the last headlining tour; they were fine, but it wasn't my favorite experience, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Despite the venue, Eisley was excellent!

ATMOSPHERE/CROWD: Great crowd. Usually Pittsburgh crowds are pretty calm and quiet, but from "Invasion" onward it was more a sing-a-long than anything. People especially knew the songs from the Valley and before, but really, there was a good group singing (and luckily, they were in tune. Wink )

SOUND/PRODUCTION: I was worried after some other reports, but the sound, to me, was excellent! Nothing was overblown, everything was clear. There may have been an issue or two with equipment or starting a song, but really, nothing that I remember specifically, so it didn't impede on my enjoyment.

I loved the lighting. Many bands have background lighting, but most are more distracting (or downright blinding!) rather than enhancing. Not Eisley's. They illuminated the stage and the crowd, but it didn't blind the audience, so it was very good.

OTHER NOTES: I know some don't like banter, but I love when bands show their personality and their spokesperson Sherri was charming tonight, as usual. They mentioned several times that they were sick and losing their voices, but they made jokes about it and honestly, it wasn't obvious except when they were speaking. Funny intro: Talking about their children and praising Christie for babysitting them during their set, they joked at how they cry each night when they had to leave to perform, like they aren't coming back, yet they always do (with full on crying faces, imitating them Laughing)...and then they went on to introduce the song "Wicked Child." Even mentioned an old tumblr called "Eisley Secrets." Was it all hate or something? I maybe remember hearing about it, but that was before even I was a fan, I think.

OTHER FUN MOMENT: Halfway through the show, I guess Sherri ran out of water (probably trying to save her voice) and she thought she was out. Weston passed up a partial case of bottled water so she could have more. Well, it was so hot in there, she decided to share it with the crowd! After she got hers, she passed the case to the crowd and quite a few people were able to get water (she directed to share it with the people in the back as well, and we did!). Anyway, I thought that was nice of her/them.

OVERALL: I had some reservations checking out this show (venue, work night, going solo), but I'm SO glad I went. Very enjoyable and it reminded me as to why I still consider them my favorite band.

PS/QUESTION: Did they film any other show? There were at least four people filming professionally and I wasn't sure if they were trying to put together an official concert DVD or something or if it was a local group filming. Just wondering...

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Sure, Will. Thanks for wanting to use it!

And feel free to edit to best fit. I posted right after the show, and probably rambled a bit. Laughing
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I will just make it flow as a piece, but I'm going to keep everything. You did a great job. We're two for two on great show reviews.

ync
Golly, Poster

brightly wound was played in boston - i'm not seeing it on the actual set list so i'm wondering if it's been played anywhere else

it was definitely a treat - i took video but it didn't come out well :/

boston show was great though, it ended up being quite full, there was a lot of crowd singing along which was nice, tons of love for them. the lights were nice, need some work but were a lot of fun and added a bit to their stage presence.

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>