Laughing City
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

For all the griping, the clips I've seen so far look very promising. Especially that Blue Fish.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'd have to agree. But, it does pay to take into account that there's a contingency of folks who are bigger Stacy fans than Sherri, and something like Blue Fish does nothing for them. I like it a lot though, so it's good to hear a great performance of it live.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
I'd have to agree. But, it does pay to take into account that there's a contingency of folks who are bigger Stacy fans than Sherri, and something like Blue Fish does nothing for them. I like it a lot though, so it's good to hear a great performance of it live.

well also video audio compression probably helps a little too.

side note: i think i'm a bigger sherri fan than stacey to be honest. i feel her songs get shortchanged by people for being more guitar and rock driven.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Quote:
brightly wound was played in boston - i'm not seeing it on the actual set list so i'm wondering if it's been played anywhere else

They played Brightly Wound at my show.
norad
Vintage Newbie

Room Noises: Vol. 2 (Written by Mystic & edited by Wil)!

www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/room-noises/626-room-noises-vol-2

Smile
norad
Vintage Newbie

Saw them last night. Aside from getting to say a quick hello to Garron it was a big disappointment. Most of that was the venue's problem (but not all).
MacRVA
Sea Post King

norad wrote:
Saw them last night. Aside from getting to say a quick hello to Garron it was a big disappointment. Most of that was the venue's problem (but not all).

I just don't understand y'all.
norad
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:
norad wrote:

What's not to understand? The venue was bad = they sounded bad + the singing was a bit off. Not hard to understand (I didn't really go into detail so maybe that was why. Heh.). Also, they are not perfect.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

norad wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
norad wrote:

What's not to understand? The venue was bad = they sounded bad + the singing was a bit off. Not hard to understand (I didn't really go into detail so maybe that was why. Heh.). Also, they are not perfect.

i feel that. that's the reality of the pressure i'm coming to with being a performer and it's that not all your shows are perfect.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Ok, I am the ultimate apologist, but I am going to put something out here:

I think everyone wants the band to be successful, creatively, and commercially, at least to the degree they can keep supporting themselves as musicians primarily. I think that makes it hard to see things pan out where Eisley isn't always presented to their audience in a way that flatters their talents as we've grown to perceive them. It's like tasting something cooked so well it seems perfect, but realizing that a lot of people are not getting that experience. Well, then when you consider, as a fan, you aren't getting the experience that gave you a taste for it, well, it's a letdown.

I've said this all before in different ways. But oh well, people are going to have their take on things, and some of this is technical issues, some of it may be a matter of taste in music and production.

I think one the problems is: being a band that can write and play in such a range of styles of music is a blessing and a curse. You can pull interest from disparate ends of the audience, but that also means you always risk alienating a segment of the audience when you drift from their wheelhouse. The amount of people who are truly going to like EVERYTHING is a small contingent.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
MacRVA
Sea Post King

The Man In The Moon wrote:
norad wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
norad wrote:

i feel that. that's the reality of the pressure i'm coming to with being a performer and it's that not all your shows are perfect.

I've seen Eisley 16 times, and I've never seen a show where I thought they were disappointing, like, not even a little bit. It seems like the majority of posts I see on the LC about the band's live performance are pretty negative and critical. I've always chalked it up to the fact that I'm not a musician and so my ear isn't necessarily as attuned to minute differences in tone and level the way every single other person on here's ear seems to be.

To me it seems like, if you're looking for absolute mixed and engineered perfection, just listen to the albums on a really nice stereo. Don't bother going to a show if you're going to be so bothered by such tiny imperfections. It might be my background in punk, but I go to shows for the personal experience and for the imperfections.

I don't mean to sound critical or angry, I just truly don't get it.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

MacRVA wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:
norad wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
norad wrote:

I've seen Eisley 16 times, and I've never seen a show where I thought they were disappointing, like, not even a little bit. It seems like the majority of posts I see on the LC about the band's live performance are pretty negative and critical. I've always chalked it up to the fact that I'm not a musician and so my ear isn't necessarily as attuned to minute differences in tone and level the way every single other person on here's ear seems to be.

To me it seems like, if you're looking for absolute mixed and engineered perfection, just listen to the albums on a really nice stereo. Don't bother going to a show if you're going to be so bothered by such tiny imperfections. It might be my background in punk, but I go to shows for the personal experience and for the imperfections.

I don't mean to sound critical or angry, I just truly don't get it.

no i get it, but it's just i've honestly seen and heard them better with all their imperfections than at the nashville show.

i saw touche amore and mewithoutyou at the same venue a month earlier and it had some of the same sound issues, but not as many problems.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:
I just truly don't get it.

Stans never do. :p

I can’t speak for this tour, as I have not seen it yet, or heard any of the clips, but the issues the last time around were far from minute. There were maybe 3 songs, tops, that were passable — one of which was done very well (Drink the Water). They sounded like an awful Eisley cover band. It was the first show of the tour, and they’d been honest about not practicing, and how it was because they were mothers now (which was somewhat offensive, to be honest, given how many mothers work 9-5s+ while upholding their parental duties). Frankly, I was thinking to myself that had I known after all the hullabaloo about needing a world tour financed that they weren’t actually going to take their jobs very seriously, maybe I would have stayed home and listened to the record they should have been promoting the $#@! out of but decided, for the sake of SA fans, to go with Combinations instead.

The fact is that Eisley are very far from a punk band, both musically and in terms of values (and the sloppiness and lack of talent associated with the genre at this point is pretty ridiculous; mid-'70s Clash were a bit rough (they were generally $#@! out of their minds), early ‘80s Clash, yeah, not so much, and it’s not really surprising that people go expecting a different experience. Eisley don’t get strung out (and I haven’t seen too many truly ~*lovely*~ shows by straightedge bands that were actually worth their salt, given they take their careers incredibly seriously [of course, sometimes the fault lie with the venue, health, etc., but still]).

I also take homage to the comparison because, and I think my husband will agree, the last real punk band, Rancid, put on what was very likely the best show I’ve ever been to at South Side Music Hall last year. I mean, they were phenomenal.

Hopefully the venue change this go will be helpful.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I should go edit my post to say, "Unleash Hell!"

But this isn't even funny. I haven't seen them since the summer tour circa Deep Space and there were equipment issues but they sounded very good at that point, though the overall sound was a bit more raw and playful at times. At that point i think they were all expecting and had gone public with the info, but they weren't impeded by it.

I have different expectations for how a band will sound live. I expect more energy, and things to generally to feel different based on hiw the artists react to that energy. Only a rare few bands have sounded true to their recordings, and the ones who have were a bit of a letdown because live shows tend to improve the songs for bands because they've really gotten to know the material so they can embillish it and enhance it sans the studio deadlines.

MacRVA
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
I just truly don't get it.

Stans never do. :p

I also take homage to the comparison because, and I think my husband will agree, the last real punk band, Rancid, put on what was very likely the best show I’ve ever been to at South Side Music Hall last year. I mean, they were phenomenal.

I'm a Stan, Rancid is the "last real punk band," and the definition of the word homage has been radically rewritten to have the meaning of the similar sounding word "umbrage."

I would argue with you, but I feel like you have to be trolling right now.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>