Laughing City
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:
I'm a Stan, Rancid is the "last real punk band," and the definition of the word homage has been radically rewritten to have the meaning of the similar sounding word "umbrage."

I would argue with you, but I feel like you have to be trolling right now.

I made a (common) typing error and your response is chiefly ad-hominem — you're arguing, just not well.

Regardless, refutations: noted. And dismissed. Wink

norad
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:
norad wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
norad wrote:
Saw them last night. Aside from getting to say a quick hello to Garron it was a big disappointment. Most of that was the venue's problem (but not all).

I just don't understand y'all.

What's not to understand? The venue was bad = they sounded bad + the singing was a bit off. Not hard to understand (I didn't really go into detail so maybe that was why. Heh.). Also, they are not perfect.

i feel that. that's the reality of the pressure i'm coming to with being a performer and it's that not all your shows are perfect.

I've seen Eisley 16 times, and I've never seen a show where I thought they were disappointing, like, not even a little bit. It seems like the majority of posts I see on the LC about the band's live performance are pretty negative and critical. I've always chalked it up to the fact that I'm not a musician and so my ear isn't necessarily as attuned to minute differences in tone and level the way every single other person on here's ear seems to be.

To me it seems like, if you're looking for absolute mixed and engineered perfection, just listen to the albums on a really nice stereo. Don't bother going to a show if you're going to be so bothered by such tiny imperfections. It might be my background in punk, but I go to shows for the personal experience and for the imperfections.

I don't mean to sound critical or angry, I just truly don't get it.

no i get it, but it's just i've honestly seen and heard them better with all their imperfections than at the nashville show.

Basically that. I've seen them a lot and it's only the last two shows it wasn't good. Still not sure what's to get though...
MacRVA
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
I'm a Stan, Rancid is the "last real punk band," and the definition of the word homage has been radically rewritten to have the meaning of the similar sounding word "umbrage."

I made a (common) typing error and your response is chiefly ad-hominem — you're arguing, just not well.

"Ad hominem," Wow! If only your English was as good as your Latin.
CBmp3
Sea Post King

I saw a couple shows on this tour and I thought they were some of the best performances I've seen from them. And like Mac, I've also seen them 16 times now. There might have been one or two songs that seemed a little shaky, but I forget what they were. One might have been "Save My Soul," but I'm not sure. The Currents material especially was incredible. The title track and "Blue Fish" being huge highlights for me.

Sound production-wise (clarity, balance, etc.), they were some of the best of Eisley shows I've seen as well.

Also, the lighting was very effective/complementary and didn't feel gimmicky.

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

The houston show was decent. not one of my favorites but worth going to. understandably, they all seemed tired and kind of over it Laughing I am a 'stacy person' and would've loved to hear more from her. (for a reference point to others' opinions of this tour: there are whispers of ideas for a sucre + honey trees tour which would be an aesthetic/sonic dream come true for me. if you love the rock side of eisley don't listen to anything i say.) it was a very sherri set, more than any of the other 9 or 10 shows ive seen over the years. interesting. merriment played their first set of the tour with a full band (cousin on drums and a friend on bass) and it was wonderful. christie has gained SO MUCH confidence over the years and her ability to project now is super impressive. the band was quite loud and i could hear her clearly over all of them. i got phone videos of somehow (acoustic) and shelter. also posted them to my dumb tumblr, if you're searching tags there.
Marina
Sea Post King

Thanks for the videos!
I'm watching the tour through Youtube. I'm really impressed with the lights. And from what I've seen, the Christie and Stacy looks fantastic. Sherri's backing vocal on Shelter is amazing. I saw many "negative" reviews here, but I would love to be able in person to hear Eisley one of the Currents Tour shows.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

CBmp3 wrote:
There might have been one or two songs that seemed a little shaky, but I forget what they were. One might have been "Save My Soul," but I'm not sure. The Currents material especially was incredible. The title track and "Blue Fish" being huge highlights for me.

What I've seen of Blue Fish and Currents live lives up to expectations, with Currents being a kissing cousin of Deep Space with the mellower verse opening up to a rocking chorus. They would be a pretty cool in a medley, maybe Currents breaking down at the end to a very quiet vocal and guitar ending to bring the crowd to full attention as they bounce back and forth with notes and from there she and Chauntelle start Deep Space. I would dig that.

The vids I have seen of Save My Soul other than the Acoustic professionally recorded one, all are... let's just say the arrangement of just Vocals to open don't lend themselves to being performed with crowd noise and ambient sound like beer bottles and what not.

The vocal is mostly in the upper register, and sung with a lot of wind and volume, with some tricky changes, and then it vaults into the chorus, which is a rhythmic and melodic change that pulls the song in another direction. I would say, that would be a candidate for a song that would benefit from a reworking for the live environment because that first verse and chorus are going to take a toll on their voices.

Once I remember Chris Cornell (back in the 90s) talking about how another vocalist told him, "You should start your songs singing lower, cause if you start way up there, you've got nowhere to go..." If you listen to Superunknown he took that advice, and it really does preserve your performance (and voice) and make it more dynamic. And the more weight you can put on the instrumentation (and other vocalists) to spare your voice, the better you'll sound in the end. That might be a good song to change the lead to a Two part harmony with Chauntelle or switch to Chauntelle doing the background vocal on the intro and Stacy harmonizing the verse?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tungsten
Sea Post King

I've seen them live 7 times now (I believe). I've only been slightly disappointed once, that was at the Granada in Dallas. I stood really close and had trouble hearing vocals. The next time I went to the Granada I stood further back and it was excellent.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:
tahruh wrote:
MacRVA wrote:

Oh, silly! My English is fine, Mac. Smile I was in the 99th percentile my entire studious existence (well, prior to college; All As in lit and composition though).

Isn't there an itchy scalp somewhere you should be tending to, O Great Savant de Coiffure? Wink

---

Granada has great acoustics! Would love to see them there. Trees is pretty good though, from what I remember (saw Black Flag there last year [they're a real punk band; Mac might take issue with that though, given they never sported Manic-Panic'd faux-hawks or released anything on Interscope Razz).

MacRVA
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
tahruh wrote:
MacRVA wrote:

Oh, silly! My English is fine, Mac. Smile I was in the 99th percentile my entire studious existence (well, prior to college; All As in lit and composition though).

Isn't there an itchy scalp somewhere you should be tending to, O Great Savant de Coiffure? Wink

---

Granada has great acoustics! Would love to see them there. Trees is pretty good though, from what I remember (saw Black Flag there last year [they're a real punk band; Mac might take issue with that though, given they never sported Manic-Panic'd faux-hawks or released anything on Interscope Razz).

Few things amuse me more than someone who thinks Rancid is the last real punk band and saw a Black Flag reunion in 2013 calling into question my punk credentials.

Few things, except for pompous faux-intellectuals trying to cool guy me on a message board.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I know people have their principles and all, but there are only like 10 or so people who even post with any frequency, if that. There's not enough activity on the board to counter-balance the negativity of the personal attacks vaulted back and forth.

The jabs are clever and intellectual, but they're still jabs. There's a disconnect and any good humor the chiding seems to have fallen flat.

Personally I enjoy sharing with you all via SYP and think it's worthwhile to draw the shared perspective and creativity of the fan community that goes so far as to still frequent this hermitage of a fan forum together. This sort of kills the spirit of that. I'd rather not have that spirit snuffed out.

Since we're all adults, can folks sort out their grievances in PMs and continue to be a varied, and opinionated, civil, yet whimsical group of posters here in the threads?

Or not, it's only text after all. I'm more than happy to talk music, film, tv, and all manners of things wherever there's a forum for it, be it FB, Twitter Email, etc, but this place has been unique and transformative in ways, by means of its "citizenry". Be a shame for that to end.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
MacRVA
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
I know people have their principles and all, but there are only like 10 or so people who even post with any frequency, if that. There's not enough activity on the board to counter-balance the negativity of the personal attacks vaulted back and forth.

The jabs are clever and intellectual, but they're still jabs. There's a disconnect and any good humor the chiding seems to have fallen flat.

Personally I enjoy sharing with you all via SYP and think it's worthwhile to draw the shared perspective and creativity of the fan community that goes so far as to still frequent this hermitage of a fan forum together. This sort of kills the spirit of that. I'd rather not have that spirit snuffed out.

Since we're all adults, can folks sort out their grievances in PMs and continue to be a varied, and opinionated, civil, yet whimsical group of posters here in the threads?

Or not, it's only text after all. I'm more than happy to talk music, film, tv, and all manners of things wherever there's a forum for it, be it FB, Twitter Email, etc, but this place has been unique and transformative in ways, by means of its "citizenry". Be a shame for that to end.

You make a valid point. I'm sorry Wil...
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:

Few things, except for pompous faux-intellectuals trying to cool guy me on a message board.

Laughing

I feel like one of us is a lot more emotionally invested in this discussion than the other. . .

Then again, you are the guy who joined the forum, claiming to live in abject poverty but nevertheless decided to follow Eisley on part of their tour instead of eating and paying your bills, right? Your emotional investment amused a lot of us! Wink

It was odd to me that you took my joke about you being a stan so seriously (let alone your beef with my Rancid comment Question [not least because you’ve yet to expound on your reasoning, rather choosing to continually bring them up whilst rabble-rousing with your e-fists Twisted Evil]. I initially chalked it up to you having a crappy day, but methinks I might have tripped a wire…somewhere in the limbic system. And I think I’m starting to understand why. I think the problem you’re having is rooted in the fact that you seem to have a sense of ownership of the band, likely due, at least in part, to the degree to which you’ve invested yourself in them. Particularly the emotional energy you’ve invested; a perceived slight could threaten to drain the resultant positive emotions you use to rationalize the at times extreme measures you’ve taken for them. I haven’t fused them into my identify as you have (I’m primarily thinking of your tattoos), but they have impacted my life in rather meaningful ways. I met my husband on this board, and we got engaged at Sucre’s one-off NYC show. I mean, that show sort of popped up out of nowhere, the exact weekend my then-boyfriend was coming to visit me. It was pretty magical (your story isn’t as special as you think! Razz). And there are some other things I won't share. Eisley mean a lot to us. But we can look at the band and the art they create objectively. And that shouldn’t threaten you. I'm genuinely sorry it does, but I can't invalidate my own experiences to make you comfortable with yours.

MacRVA wrote:

Few things amuse me more than someone who thinks Rancid is the last real punk band and saw a Black Flag reunion in 2013 calling into question my punk credentials.

Back to this though, despite your lack of explanation and aforementioned rabble-rousing, I will take a shot in the dark and clarify my comments!

Hopefully we can all agree that punk is dead. It was revived at most twice, but probably just once, in southern and central California, in the ‘80s. We can debate about a variety of bands, but I’m pretty confident they all fall under the post-punk genre. Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman were part of a real scene, and part of a highly influential [ska] punk band called Operation Ivy in the ‘80s. By the time the early-mid '90s rolled around (when Rancid cut their first album), there were still old school punk bands kicking it, and the ethos live on in some, but punk was dead. It was a dead scene. There was other stuff going on. Rancid had no real peers (NOFX? Nelson-Muntz-laugh!) when they peaked. And certainly not since. Maybe I should further clarify that Rancid are the last real punk band that are actually good?

Thoroughly confused by the BF (jeer?) though… Pretty standard stuff. Not my favorite of the era, but a classic band (granted, not the classic line-up), playing a show 5 minutes from my house, while being married to a guy who spent his latter high school years in SoCal in the ‘80s… Why the hell would we miss that?

But perhaps I’ve just reached the limits of my faux-intellectualism. Maybe my husband can parse your words for me when he gets home. His username is Inorbit. It’s not clear that he will satisfy your intellectual criterion, but you might check his posts anyway and see what you think! Smile

___

And Wil, my jabs were pretty clearly silly and par for the course. Mac got personal, but it's no biggie. We are all adults here (finally!). I'm actually genuinely interested in his beefs (well, about punk, etc., not my intellectual capacity or grasp of our language), and also why we shouldn't be true to our own experiences.

MacRVA
Sea Post King

This will be my last post on the LC. I joined this board because I don't really have any friends who love Eisley and I thought this might be a place where I could geek out about my favourite band. This conversation has made the board totally not worth my time. I spend most of my time in the punk and hardcore scene, so I'm no stranger to angry, hostile arguments about the relative merits of bands and their music, but that was not what I wanted from this board.

In short, I joined the LC solely because I thought it might be the only place where no one would insult me for being a nerdy Eisley superfan. Clearly that isn't the case so this board really has nothing else to offer me.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

MacRVA wrote:
This will be my last post on the LC. I joined this board because I don't really have any friends who love Eisley and I thought this might be a place where I could geek out about my favourite band. This conversation has made the board totally not worth my time. I spend most of my time in the punk and hardcore scene, so I'm no stranger to angry, hostile arguments about the relative merits of bands and their music, but that was not what I wanted from this board.

In short, I joined the LC solely because I thought it might be the only place where no one would insult me for being a nerdy Eisley superfan. Clearly that isn't the case so this board really has nothing else to offer me.

Remember when I said people didn't want such and such from the band? They went to these shows with a certain set of expectations, and got something else? Something you claimed one might find at a punk show?

I'm not going to stop you, but I do think it's a bit of an overreaction. You essentially said I was an idiot, more than once, but you don't see me flouncing.

There are some stans (in the ONTD sense, less so in the Eminem sense -- they're mostly on Instagram) here, but yeah, not all of us drink the Koolaid. Apologies...

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>