Laughing City
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

anywho, my friend that i took to the nashville show loved it since it was her first time seeing them. so really, they weren't that bad.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Does Collin play guitar during Eisley's set, too?

To the arguing - as I've gotten older, I've learned to let go of another's difference of opinion. Rarely is any amount of trying to convince them otherwise fruitful. You'll be less stressed, too.

ync
Golly, Poster

Collin's been playing on Wicked Child - Sherri sings Christie's part during this song too since she's off watching the babies

and i lied about the brightly wound thing - (while they did in fact play it) it's been on all the setlists and i'm just awful at reading

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

That was categorically not disappointing.

Wow.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Seconded.
Can't speak for other shows on the tour, but the Dallas show was as good as I've seen. They brought it. More later, but... wow.

Set List:
Currents
Invasion
Blue Fish
Marvelous Things
IWPFT
Mr. Moon
Brightly Wound
Millstone
Deep Space
Oxygen Mask
Many Funerals
Laugh It Off
Drink the Water
Wicket Child
Ambulance
----------------
Shelter
If You're Wondering
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Kind of wish I hadn't bothered reading the rest of this thread ... but I second the comment about the Dallas show. Unusually good, though I haven't seen them in a big venue in a really long time, so maybe they've been like this for a while. But I've heard from others who would support my idea that this was a particularly strong show.

On the photographic front, their lighting looked wonderful, but perhaps the LEDs have a flicker thing going that caused me (and another photographer) major pains through the night. On the upside, when the shots turned out, they seem to have turned out particularly well.

I want to say more on other topics, but just will not.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tungsten
Sea Post King

I was at the Dallas show as well. personally, I thought the sound was a bit muddy honestly. I went with a group of 5 and we were all in agreement that it was difficult to discern lyrics and hear vocals over the wall of 'rock' sound. When I could hear them clearly though, they all sounded vocally like they were in top notch form. Wishing there had been a few more Stacy songs as well.

highlights were: Drink the Water, Laugh it Off, If You're Wondering, I Wasn't Prepared, Ambulance, Shelter, Wicked Child (Christie got to sing the bridge this time).
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Glad to hear that the "Homecoming Show" delivered the goods.

Vocal clarity in a 5 piece band of Eisley's stature, with songs based on two guitars playing, is always a supreme challenge, if the goal is for the band itself to sound strong. Add keys (or a 3rd guitar) to the 2 guitars and the Middle and Upper range (of the sound spectrum) where vocal frequencies reside is already crowded without a vocal, let alone 2 or 3. If you crank the vocals over the top of the other instruments it's going to cause feedback. The challenge then is to find that perfect balance. At a certain point, given all the other sounds at play in their music, audible vocals in harmony with the mix is an achievement in and of itself.

Also, I think there's wedge being driven between the Chamber Pop & Indie Rock tastes (among the fan base) as far as Eisley's sound when performing live. They now have a repertoire vast enough to tilt a set far over to one end of the spectrum rather than the other. Also, they've been touring so long that the live versions of songs have probably developed their own "energy" apart from the performances recorded on their older albums and EPs, to better suite the flow of a live set and be complimentary to the energy they create in the live context.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I would have to agree with that entire statement. My take is that they are a rock band that happens to have amazing vocals and I enjoy them as such. Also, unless you are standing at center in the room (or at the sound board), you probably aren't hearing the optimum sound.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

I think Sherri on Instagram commented on the Dallas show being one of the bests.

tungsten
Sea Post King

I understand what you are saying. I guess I am just discouraged because this is the 2nd time I've taken people who are not familiar with the band who have not enjoyed it due to the overall 'rockiness' of it. I asked them if any songs stood out, and my friends said: "Uhh, i couldn't understand any of the lyrics so I'm not really sure." A few years ago at the Granada I took different friends unfamiliar with the band and they had the exact same reaction. I played the Combinations CD in my car for them afterwards and their response was completely different: "Wow, I like this! I can actually hear and understand the lyrics. Why was it so much louder?"

To me, that's a problem. Personally I'd rather hear a little feedback then not be able to discern lyrics and hear voices. The chorus on Save My Soul was pretty much unintelligible. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and not a rocker.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i see on spotify that eisley is playing a show july 1st with say anything. not on either band's websites, but say anything is touring this summer, just not with eisley. unless spotify announced it before they were suppose to.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Boyd mentioned that the 2nd leg of the Currents Tour would be in the fall. If you want to use logic their, then any non-headlining tour is not considered a Currents tour. This makes sense if the band wants to play a set favorable to who they're booked to tour with.

What kind of sucks, but is to be expected, is that for me, I sort of thought of this as a Currents & Sway tour, that would launch the Merriment release and get people talking about that a bit more, but they seem to be stuck at the Kiddie Table at Thanksgiving as far as these tour talks have been concerned.

My guess is that Merriment wont be support the proper/ loud Say Anything & Eisley tour. I haven't heard anything about Marksmen in a while. With Reed out of that band I wondered what their stay on Rory would be like beyond that first record. All that to say, they are probably due for a release, and a label mates tour would make sense.

I still would be interested to see a Triple-Bill/ Co-headling tour of MUTEMATH, Say Anything & Eisley. For my taste MUTEMATH would be sandwiched between the two for a smoother transition, and you could have a Sucre Mini set between Eisley & MUTEMATH and a Perma mini-set before Say Anything, or vice versa if you switch top billing.

Just thoughts.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

honestly, i'm ready for a new release...

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, maybe you'll get an EP out of them come summer?

I don't expect it though. It's only been a year since the album came out, and there wasn't a heavily promoted single other than Currents, whose video wasn't released until late september (Currents video). If they decide to use the "soft release" approach and give this material a chance to make a lasting impression, I support that. It's worked for other bands. The key is find that song that can be ubiquitous and getting it out there. Eisley is great at writing more than one that song but so far they haven't had a chance to release one of those songs as a single with a video. Ambulance came close, but I would argue that Kind was that song on the Valley.

When you think about it, for WB to have them and not use their material on the CW (to my knowledge) :X Some may see licensing as a sell-out, but I am one that things cinematic & dramatic music isn't compromised when it's used in the cinematic and dramatic arts and their vehicles/ mediums.

I loved Deep Space, still do, but I also recognize that it was written and recorded during a very tumultuous time for the band and maybe a product of their need to exorcise some of that stress and pain while celebrating ending the ordeals that came along with the genesis of The Valley and its ultimate release. In a perfect world they won't feel a need to create such an EP as intimate and immediate as it was. Maybe they'll be inspired to do something in a different vein?

Either way, I'd expect Sucre and Rising Fawn releases before and Eisley product hit the shelves again. Then again, wasn't during the touring behind Deep Space that they did preorders for A Minor Bird and also sold Through the Rough?

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>