Laughing City

Will you be seeing the movie on opening weekend?
Midnight showing!
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
At some point this weekend
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
I will wait.
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
I'm not going to see it.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
i have never seen such a wide variety of opinions in recent years than I have on this one. And I don't just mean on here. From friends, co workers, everyone.

there is no common theme. I am getting many of all four outcomes

read the books, loved the movie
read the books, hated the movie
havent read, loved the movie
havent read, hated the movie

i did notice, not just from dnba, that others, who have read the books, said the character development sucked in the movie.
but, you can't expect book character development in a movie. it's almost impossible to replicate.

holy thread bump/old thread showing on page one batman.

just this last week i finished reading the final book of the hunger games series.
i also have seen the movie twice. and let me tell you this.

oh my god this movie/book was amazing. i was enthralled by the characters to the bitter end.
i cant wait for catching fire and moking jay to come out. and i enjoyed every single page in the books.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
mr pine wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
My favorite thing about science fiction is the ability to create whole other worlds and transport you to them,

i havent seen the movie. and i havent read the books save chapter 1. but my understanding was this takes place on earth.

and i always considered it to be dystopian more so than sci fi.

so, you're points on that I don't think stand.

as far as acting or whatever, I have no say on, as I haven't seen it.

just wanted to point that out.

Having read all the books, I can tell you that Panem is a fundamentally different world from where we live right now, and The Hunger Games trilogy fit best in the genre of science fiction. And yes, dystopia almost always overlaps with science fiction because the authors use certain extreme mechanisms to get their world where it needs to be in order to tell a more compelling story of rebellion against authority (or capitulation to it, as the case may be). The only example that readily springs to mind of dystopia with absolute minimal science fiction elements is The Handmaid's Tale, and even then there are mentions of radiation-generated mutations and the dwindling of the human race due to people not getting pregnant a la Children of Men. Still, by comparison, The Hunger Games may as well have been written by Asimov.

now having read the books i have something else ot say on this.

up till moking jay i thought this took place on a place not of earth. but similar.
after moking jay i convinced myself it was earth. in the future. for one reason. they explain to someone (the direct quote is lost on me) that the word for something or other is derived from the original latin. thus setting this on earth. unless this world has a language called latin that was the basis for words too. which could be.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh yeah, i watched the movie. It was aiight.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

another bump

Hunger Games had a better story.

But Catching Fire was a better looking movie. It's amazing what a new director can do to a series.

Still not sure on the splitting of Mocking Jay into two films.
The book is already drawn out and boring at the beginning.

wilsmith wrote:

freakinalex
Lost at Forum

As long as they retcon that horrible ending, I'm fine with it.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

what didnt you like about it?

wilsmith wrote:

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

freakinalex
Lost at Forum

Here's what I didn't like about the ending of Mockingjay, in tiny text for spoilers:

First of all, the last few chapters were incredibly rushed. First they're storming the Capitol and then suddenly explosions, and Katniss is out of it again. Then they're basically just, "Oh, btw, your sister's dead." Then the whole execution comes up and Katniss goes rogue for who knows what reason, which isn't explained very well. So the solution is basically, let's exile her so we don't have to deal with any repercussions or explain what eventually happened with the Capitol and the Districts. And then the epilogue is so completely out of character, it basically erases everything that Katniss was fighting for all along. She explicitly stated from the very beginning, over and over, that she wasn't really interested in love and definitely didn't want children. Yet she just settles with Peeta and has children just because he wants them, and that's not what the Katniss that we spent three novels getting to know would do. It's incredibly forced, basically ignores the established continuity, and makes absolutely no sense.