Laughing City

Your feelings on Coldplay
I love them.
36%
 36%  [ 39 ]
I dispise them.
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
I like some of the stuff they do, but not everything.
57%
 57%  [ 61 ]
Que es Coldplay?
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 107

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The links are points of reference. Since I have the standard and have listened to it a couple times I am just confirming that track nine on there is O and then there is 2 minutes of silence and the coda bit, but none of the bonus tracks. Maybe that's different on the limited edition but for the standard's last track to be named for the minute and a half bonus coda that starts 2 minutes after the 4 minute song that makes up the majority of the track just doesn't compute to me.

I think having limited editions with a couple of songs is a cash grab. When it's something more expansive like a completely different packaging set up or vastly expanded liner notes, or an alternate or bonus disc I can understand. But for minor additions to be sold at a premium and as exclusives, it's a cheap gimmick and should be left to digital downloads and not the physical release. Just because they make this promotion public knowledge doesn't change my opinion about the practice itself. It creates false scarcity and the markup on those CDs on other sites is evidence of the pettiness of the practice. The fact that Target is the vendor with the exclusive, who are suffering since they got hacked, is even tackier since people have been avoiding them.

It's how business is done but I wish they would cut it out. The last Sting, Keane, and Beady Eye albums all had 3 versions each with incremental increases in bonus tracks as you sent from standard, to limited, to Special editions. For the Sting release it went from a bonus CD with maybe 4 tracks to one of like 10. The Keane album went from maybe 2 to maybe 4. Beady Eye did likewise.

I figure if an artist can sequence an album with all the content then that should be the release, rather than nickel and diming fans and collectors. Especially when we know the disc holds 78 minutes of audio and the burn time on duplication is altered only by a few seconds to include bonus tracks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~update~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sold my unopened copy within seconds of listing it on amazon. I sold it for a cent less than the lowest seller ($5.49 + 3.99 s/h that amazon imposes). Amazon fees are $3+ and I have to cover shipping so I stand to get back half what I paid for it and still retain my amazon cloud/ download version. Definitely a case of the worthlessness of buying mp3s from amazon that are not on sale if cloud rip is available on a low priced new CD release. Also, what I'm getting for the CD is way more than I could get trading in or selling at the local stores in metro stl.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

'Cause you're a sea
'Cause you're a sea full of tar
BP's gonna shart

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Chris Martin and Ed Kowlalczik should form a duo where they go out and play covers of Limp Bizkit songs so they don't feel so bad about their own clunkers.

Honestly though, he should really consider doing what Duncan Sheik did for his Phantom Moon, Spring Awakening, and Whisper House albums, and partner with a play write or author to provide prose or lyrics to build the songs around and refine the content.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I don't think the lyrics bother me on GS other than Ink.
I'm probably at 7/10 for the album.
I'm not really familiar with the extra tracks, but if Ink was cut and the Friends one was added somewhere, I might bump it to an 8.

If you've seen the Jack White less than $9.99 anywhere let me know in the Upcoming Releases thread.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Ink is the latest offender, yes.

I am not a fan of their techno jamfest either. I would drop both of those (which are going to be the next couple of single and played live more than the rest if they catch on) for the bonus tracks. All Your Friends fits the album but Ghost Stories sounds like it would be a Coldplay Single in 1997. But so does A Sky Full Of Stars. It could have been on Madonna's Day Of Light album.

I don't think anyone will beat 9.99 on Lazaretto unless Best buy does one of their coupons that marks it down to $7.99. I haven't seen anything like that yet and they usually do promos for that stuff prior to release day. I'll let you know about any sales if I see em'.

PS

I shipped my standard edition Ghost stories today and I stuck in a CD with the bonus tracks on it and filled the rest of the disc with other stuff in a similar vein. That was my way of protesting. Mad

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

You're barking up the wrong tree. I like bonus tracks and bonus DVDs and usually get them if they are reasonably priced. I don't wish to talk about it anymore.

This board has really fallen. Coldplay was a band that usually always created a discussion.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just to clarify: it's not that k don't like them. I just don't like tossed-off or multiple versions of bonuses and vendor specific exclusives.

And the board has been dead as a doornail for a bit. Only real Eisley music happenings drive traffic and even that is meager compared to The Valley even.

Also Coldplay has become an even guiltier pleasure than ever. They are Noe an apolitical soft rock band.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The one recent new person that I can remember got scared off.
I forget what happened.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yup. Closer to chase off.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

They're baaaaaacckkk...12-4-15.
The cover art seems to point to a 180 change in content/mood compared to Ghost Stories.
Beyoncé and Noel Gallagher guest?
Only listened to the new song once on my phone.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The intro of the song that was teased in the little videos had me really excited. The song didn't live up to it with it's poppy rhythms. Not bad, but not the intensity i was expecting. Seems like they are finishing their pop evolution that has been matched with their color schemes since a rush of blood. They went with all black clothing and with each album their clothing and album art introduced more color and shifted from black to blue.
Ghost Stories feels like a detour and now thier back

Beyonce is an upgrade from Rihanna and Noel fits in with their midtempo pop rock.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

They got President Obama on there, too!
A week and a half to go. Should be interesting...

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

And now an 'experimental' double album....oooeeeeooooo...
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I have honestly completely ignored this release. Haven't heard a single note. I kind of laughed because I started using my old hotmail account for spam again, and they emailed. Coincidence or not, they, Liam Gallagher Travis, Keane, and Elbow are pretty active lately, but Elbow is probably the only one I would be perked up about, though I am curious to hear Travis and Keane. IF Blur or Albarn releases something it will be maximum brit rock nostalgia. Heck , the Who put out an album.

<< prev | goto page