<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
inorbit wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:
just got back from the show. here are my thoughts.

weirdly enough, i feel like the timbre of her voice suddenly changed in the middle of Troubled Waters, and her voice suddenly sounded more rich and deep.

sound guy finally remembered to turn off bypass for the eq on her channel?

I hope you're kidding...

I mean, I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but I thought it was quite an abrupt change.

re: "I hope you're kidding..."

I meant that to inorbit because that would:

1. explain it
2. be a super-facepalm moment for any professional running live sound
3. a exceedingly plausible explanation

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

So the Springfield show may have been the best sounding gig I've heard as far as Eisley related tours. Great show, a little loud at times, but nothing too overwhelming.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

going to the Dallas show tonight. Very excited!!!
tungsten
Sea Post King

Dallas show was excellent!!

Sound was so much better at the House of Blues Cambridge room than the Merriment / Eisley concert at Tree's (much clearer, less muddy).

Merriment: Played a good portion of Sway, and they were in very good form! They seem to be getting tighter as a full band, and the addition of Karsyn (sp?) Dupree on keys with harmony vocals was a great addition to their sound (she also added a lot of funny banter when things got awkward a few times).

Honey Trees: I had seen a few of their music videos as well as an acoustic performance of Moon River (which they played!), but I was not as familiar with their album material. I enjoyed them a lot, enough to purchase their cd at the merch table. Female vocalist (Becky I believe?) has the perfect lullaby voice. Best song live was 'By the seaside'.

Sucre: Sucre was excellent. This is definitely a fiercer, more fiery Sucre then the one that played at Club DaDa two years ago. The Honey
Trees were excellent as the backing band and Stacy sounded AMAZING. The vocal projection on 'Hiding Out' was insane. Also, the high part ending vocals on 'Line of Fire' (Darren came onstage to play additional drums on that one). Only regret was that 'Endless Sleep', 'Cliff Waltz' and 'Crazy' were absent. Stacy probably wanted to keep this a higher energy set, especially with the presence of the full band. 'Loner' seemed to give the crowd the most energy although people got very excited for 'Troubled Waters' (my favorite) and 'Light Up'.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

rchamp wrote:

I mixed the original studio track in with this video to give it some bass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8xZjFA5UqI

What do you think? Good? Bad? Unnecessary? Weird? Infringing? Sacrilege?
After re-watching the original I'd say that it's unnecessary and infringing. Don't worry, it's unlisted for now so the only way to view it is with that direct link. I was going to ask permission from rchamp to make it public but I dunno. I made one version with the studio track way up in the mix and it was more like a music video. I just want a proper music video for "Loner" and or "Young and Free" but unfortunately that's probably not going to happen.

I also ran Youtube's stabilizing filter on it and it made a version that looks like watching a concert drunk and stoned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXlVKh0I2I
You know, I think I like the drunk version better.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tungsten wrote:
Dallas show was excellent!!

Saving my review for SYP, but everything you say is on point with the Springfield show, except Christie was cracking all the jokes there, and in rare form with a not of acerbic whit.

Also, another song that rocked the audience was Chemical Reaction. How did that go over in Dallas?

rchamp
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:

After re-watching the original I'd say that it's unnecessary and infringing. Don't worry, it's unlisted for now so the only way to view it is with that direct link. I was going to ask permission from rchamp to make it public but I dunno. I made one version with the studio track way up in the mix and it was more like a music video. I just want a proper music video for "Loner" and or "Young and Free" but unfortunately that's probably not going to happen.

I also ran Youtube's stabilizing filter on it and it made a version that looks like watching a concert drunk and stoned.

Hey, that's cool, you can make it public if you want. One day I'll find a way to bring my real set up to shoot a show but the H.O.B. is a nightmare on that. Good job!
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

rchamp wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

Hey, that's cool, you can make it public if you want. One day I'll find a way to bring my real set up to shoot a show but the H.O.B. is a nightmare on that. Good job!

Thanks. Your vid sounds suprisingly good but I wanted more bass. It would have been great if someone was able to have shot one of their shows with a few cameras with audio from the sound board. Hopefully someone did that and will release it soon.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Actually there was no bass player for Sucre. Bass was all via the synths and tracks. The Honey Trees bass player played with Merriment and the Honey Trees and then was done for the night. The Honey trees vocalist/guitarist switched to drums and the drummer handled incidental percussion.

The vocalist/pianist held down her spot and cued tracks and played key parts here and there and the violinist did his thing. He was one of the most engaged and demonstrative performers all night.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I am still recovering from this show. And that solo rendition of Silver Spring at the end... That voice. Our heads literally fell off.

Stacy somehow manages to continually surpass her already extraordinary growth, and it's really amazing the Observer or Central Track didn't even recommend, let alone cover, the show. She's still virtually an unknown and I do not understand why. I'm afraid that around Dallas, anyway, they still lump her with Combinations era Eisley and write what she's doing now off. Such a damn shame.

Also, bad move putting Merriment before Honey Trees, imo. Didn't make any sense; as I said to my husband who later agreed, they're kind of a lackluster version of Merriment. They've got the talent, but it's not used in a very interesting way, imo. Would love to see them work permanently with Sucre though.

Edit: And Wil, Chemical Reaction was probably the highlight for the crowd.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:

Also, bad move putting Merriment before Honey Trees, imo. Didn't make any sense; as I said to my husband who later agreed, they're kind of a lackluster version of Merriment. They've got the talent, but it's not used in a very interesting way, imo.

i felt the same way at nashville...

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Honey Trees actually had the crowd pretty well rapt in Springfield. Merriment went over well, but the intensity in their material didn't seem to match the sets featuring the Honey Trees. I think it could be because in Springfield Merriment was the only act that didn't have an immediate connection with the being there working with Jeremy Larson?

Either way, the Honey Trees were a great bridge at our show and the 3 folks I brought along, two having never really heard Merriment or the Honey Trees, seemed really impressed by the Honey Trees. The comment that was consistent among them was, "I didn't think Sucre was going to be able to top the Honey Trees at first, but she is just in another class, wow. She made the other singers before her seem like they were on their way, but not at her level."

I really love Christie's voice, so I am going to not whole-heartedly agree with that statement, but I do feel they were justified in regards to the performances and material and how it does or doesn't allow for a vocal showcase.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Out of all the sisters, I think Stacy probably has the strongest most formal voice.

Their voices each have their own cool dynamics though

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Agreed. I think she benefits from being expected to sing professionally from a very young age relatively. She rose to the pressure, and has developed a skill with using her range gracefully. All those years providing lower harmonies for Sherri has surely helped with that, allowing her to be more comfortable hitting lower and higher notes.

Christie seems to sing with the most ease and comfort, which you could relate to Stacy, in that she has been singing with professional singers (her family) since youth, but with less pressure, since she has done the lion's share of the singing with her voice being the only other female voice to compete with in the mix. She has also been able to develop at her own pace, apart from a label or heavy touring for other acts.

I would say that those two have the two voices seemingly the most similar to each other. I think Sherri an Chauntelle represent the ends of the spectrum, with Sherri singing in an upper register and projecting vigorously, and Chauntelle having the breathiest and most soft spoken alto for the most part.

I feel like of all the sisters, mainly because of the material she usually performs, Sherri has a lot more that she can do vocally than we might imagine. Comparing The Night Comes to Blue Fish shows how her timbre and tone shifts and still sounds so familiar and like herself. It still feels like she sings emotionally first and foremost when she has a lead. Her Background vocals are where you hear her ear for tone.

tungsten
Sea Post King

been wondering (and getting the vibe) that perhaps Stacy is planning on being primarily Sucre from now on? There were less Stacy songs on Currents and Sherri seemed to have the most lead songs on the last tour. Also, when Stacy introduced herself on the Sucre tour she said, "Hello, I'm Sucre", whereas before Sucre was very much billed as a trio/collaboration that was equal parts Jeremy and Darren (now only billed as producers on the EP). Changing seasons?

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>