Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

well sherri's the only one that's reported writing new songs for eisley, and then boyd wrote sherri's name in with eisley in an interesting way in an instagram post. i'm thinking that maybe eisley is gonna be predominately sherri or maybe her solo project now?

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I took that to mean, or note that he is acknowledging what I think is pretty established: Sherri handles the @eisley twitter now, not him. Been that way for a couple of years at least.

My thoughts:

Eisley signed a two record deal with EVR if I remember correctly. I might be wrong about that. If I am not, that means they are free agents. They could sign up with Rory Records through EVR, which would be in line with what they have done up to this point with Perma and Merriment. On the other hand I don't know how long that label/ distribution deal was good for. They have now gotten a chance to do some independent ventures, with Sucre being the flagship self release for the extended Dupree family, and this tour that just happened coming off to me as very successful, and done without a label.

It's entirely in the realm of possibility that Rory Records goes completely indie. The upcoming tour with Say Anything, Saves the Day, and Reggie and the Full Effect, will generate buzz for those fans bases, and of course Matt Prior of Reggie & TFE, and Saves the day are on Rory so that would be a good opportunity to release albums by all those parties completely independent and maximize (no pun intended) what they make so they can be self-sustaining.

Eisley could do the same thing, or start their own imprint. They know how and have the resources to do so. Either way, they are in a position to take unprecedented control and also prosper from their work in a manner they should have all along. Also, doing a Pledgemusic or Kickstarter for an album is usually more promising to fans, and since they have an idea of the level of support they might get based on past experience, they might try that again.

One thing worth considering is that, with Sherri due with another child, mobility is going to be a bit tricky for a while. When you think about it, the Sucre tour was mainly the younger set of Dupree siblings, with only Stacy having a child (don't know about the Honey Trees) so that was probably a whole lot easier to manage. All the other parents got to stay home and nest a bit from what I gather. That's probably a good thing based on the things going on.

Anyways, I wouldn't read that much into it. Add to that, Sucre would be well advised to capitalize on the buzz from the EP and tour and finish an album to promote with the next tour whenever that may be. In that regard Stacy might be writing for that. And Chauntelle was working on a Rising Fawn LP. Sherri is the only one who has a more recently completed full length side project release (and she will have more time to idle over the course of her pregnancy and while she has her newborn).

Also of note, Darren and Jeremy are credited as producers for the Sucre EP rather than members, and Jeremy when posting about his Violents EP series notes that he is working more as a producer and not as an artist. There is infinitely more work for a successful producer vs. an artist. It's more viable professionally. Looking at it that way, the Sucre EP is a showcase of those production skills, and stands to benefit Stacy as she continues to release music, but also Darren and Jeremy as producers, which could be very lucrative if they get proper notice for their talents. The dynamic range of the EP and the contemporary nature of the material puts them in a position to hopefully land some higher profile sessions.

That's just my take on it. All conjecture and psychic Pisces powers in full effect. Very Happy

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

I didn't know about the two album deal. Id think the valley wouldn't count as it was made and paid for by warner, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm hoping they spill the beans about the future soon. I wish Sherri would do a solo album. I also think it'd be cool for them to finally do an album of songs they wanted on an album but warner didn't allow them.

johnip
Vintage Newbie

Currents wasn't that album?
Lost at Forum

songs they wrote in the room noises, combinations, and the valley process.

tungsten
Sea Post King

Personally, I'm hoping Stacy continues to pursue Sucre wholeheartedly while also remaining part of Eisley. The strongest part of eisley to me has always been the 'Combinations' of all three girls working together, creating something with that sister bond/connection. Hoping that Stacy will continue to write and sing for both.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

The strongest part of eisley to me has always been the 'Combinations' of all three girls working together, creating something with that sister bond/connection. [/quote]

i see what you did there.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Finally got to hear the Loner EP.
This is a strong set of songs, so now I'm wondering what the purpose of the EP is? Did Stacy ever give context for the songs/EP?

Something like songs that don't fit on the next album, or leftovers from Minor Bird? Purely just so they have something to sell on tour?

These songs seem fully realized, with strings, etc., basically like a short album aka an EP, yes, but not like most EPs. Make sense?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I feels like an effort to establish Sucre' as her and her alone, and not as a band anymore. A proper introduction to Stacy as an independent artist of the "Art Pop" variety for lack of a better term.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
I feels like an effort to establish Sucre' as her and her alone, and not as a band anymore. A proper introduction to Stacy as an independent artist of the "Art Pop" variety for lack of a better term.

I use to label my work as art pop. Then lady gaga happened and I was like,"..."

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I thought the same thing but the term preceded her and I am NOT going to let it go by the wayside due to one flop by an artist who was over-exposed. Avante-Pop or Alt:-Pop have been used too but they all sound like variations on the same thing.

Seems like a lot of artists are moving closer to sounding like TLC than Kate Bush lately.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The only ways the EP format makes sense to me are:

New band wanting to put out a release to establish themselves.
Maybe they don't have enough material for an LP, or themselves or a record company only wants to or can afford to put an EP out.

Band records an album and there is too much material or material that doesn't fit with the album.

Band puts out a well received album and the record company wants more product because the public is hungry for it.

The Loner EP doesn't seem to fit any of that.

rchamp
Sea Post King

Perhaps it's what they had completed in time to release something to promote on the tour. That's what I assumed. With all of the schedules that need to be in sync to record new tracks, it's probably done piecemeal whenever they can get together.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That jibes too. I just drew my conclusions because with first release they explicitly said Sucre' was the three of them, and now on the site, and on the CD, and in interviews Stacy clearly says that Sucre' is her alone, with Darren and Jeremy as producers.

In Jeremy's Violents project he specifically says that he is now working more as a producer and not a performer and that project is his creative outlet to work with singers who are performing his songs with his arrangements and production.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I say just wait a little longer and make it a full album.
Not too many people remember EPs.
You don't see too many 100 Greatest EPs of All Time lists.

Now if this was the only way we were ever going to hear these tracks, then it is very welcome indeed.

People may be misreading me - what I'm really doing is praising the quality of the EP. Don't let that be lost.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>