Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I haven't seen Interstellar, so I will have to skip your post since it starts out sounding really spoilerific.

Wil, do you go to a lot of movies now?

I saw Rifftrax Live: Anaconda, too.
Dumb & Dumber To (sic)
Idiots showing up 15 mins late and talking through half the movie - why pay that $ when you can talk somewhere else for free?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

With movies I only go when I am very interested in a movie or expect it to the the kind of fun I'm really excited about that won't be the same at home or will get spoiled. There is always a one off trip to the dollar show with my mom. It's the only thing I ever do with my family besides fix their computers or help move heavy stuff along with the occasional meal.

I didn't spoil anything for Interstellar. I barely broach what you see in the trail or or is implied by the title. Do you mean Gundamit's reply to Kulvir? That IS full of spoilers.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9596 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Interstellar

Man... this place is like a ghost town. Shocked

Itís probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10564 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Speaking of ghosts...

Laughing

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Spoilers

gundamit wrote:
kulvir wrote:
johnip wrote:
Interstellar - really great
Yes,yes it is.
The best moment for me was when Batman's butler explains that if people believed that they were working to save themselves or their families they would work hard to make it happen. If they were presented with saving generations not yet born they would be like "meh ... whatevah". In a nutshell that pretty much sums up the current dynamic regarding climate change. Of course that message won't sell movie tickets so they dressed it up in some family drama set in space. Which was okay.

I was okay with them jumping into a wormhole and a black hole. I didn't buy the MC jumping in the same wormhole again to hang out with Catwoman again. What was that all about?

Just consider that everyone you knew in your life and everyone who knew them was gone except one person who you shared a incredibly powerful like few changing experience with
This person and yourself are both morning the loss of a significant other and trying to find a sense of purpose to your existence. In that light the actions of the MC make perfect sense when you consider that any story about perpetuating human life is a love story since that is the greatest manifestation of love. Corny as it may sound, like quite a few space/ sci fi epics, in the end, what your left with is Genesis redux in the writer's vision of what is compelling and contemporary.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Interstellar

Black Joe! Inorbit and I were talking about you the other day, hoping you were still alive. Laughing Good to know. Smile

Maleficent. We loved it.

Congratulations
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
Birdman Very Happy it's a head trip and worth seeing in the theater to get the full scope of the camera moves alone. The cast was brilliant. Just saw a trailer for it (for the first time) during the tonight show, which doesn't do it any sort of justice. On the flip side, at least it's getting a wider release now.

Interstellar - Very Happy nice bookend for McConnaughey since Contact was a big moment for him back in the dizzay. Sort of an instant classic space movie.

Both of those were really good, though I wasn't thrilled with Birdman's ending. I really thought it should have gone another way.

Other flicks I've seen in the last month or so:

Nightcrawler (well-made, but only OK. reminded me of The Cable Guy)

Gone Girl (amazingly shot, and well-acted. looked like a car commercial)

The Judge (too long, and moderate picture quality, but great character acting)

St Vincent (cute, and Murray's always fun, but it felt like retreaded material)

Fury (pretty good, but the ending was silly and too drawn out)

John Wick (awesome. great shoot-em-up action film with a cool tone)

'71 (great tension, but got confusing at times)

The Imitation Game (fantastic. Knightley and Cumberbatch were both excellent)

Clouds of Sils Maria (really, really, good, and I thought Stewart out-acted Binoche. Moretz has a great sendup role, too.)

Low Down (dreary and depressing, but well-made. Fanning was impressive)

The Overnighters (solid documentary with out-of-nowhere twists)

I want to catch Rosewater and Foxcatcher next. I'll probably see one of them this weekend.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 332 | Location: Northern Virginia
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

SPOILER: I couldn't help but see Birdman through the lens of it being a mixture of The Black Swan and The Beaver. The actual ending might have worked better earlier during the climax for the kind of impact they were going for.

Congratulations
Sea Post King

SPOILER:
Yeah, I thought he really should have (successfully) done what he appeared to do onstage, and the movie should have ended there. You could see it coming, but it still would have been shocking.

And good call comparing the movie to Black Swan. I see lots of similarities there, now that you mention it. I kept thinking of Paris When It Sizzles, with Audrey Hepburn, because of the play-within-a-movie thing and the cool 60s jazz drum soundtrack.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

SPOILERS:

there was another movie about a production that was sort of similar that I liked. It was also a comedy of sorts. I'm blanking though.

Brian Blade was the drummer. He's great. His jazz records are good but his singer songwriter record Mama Rosa is favorite. It's space soul based on acoustic guitar. Hard to compare with anything outside of Chris Whitley or Cassandra Wilson.

He drums on a lot of Daniel Lanois's stuff, and in their band Black Dub with Trixie Whitley. Great stuff their too.

I agree with your idea about the ending but I seriously doubt any filmmaker would be willing to insight their profession and audience so directly. The entire tone of the movie would have been upended. I don't know if I would have had the same reaction. I actually expected the "first flight" to be the end, and ultimately it was just a telegraphing of the end. It's like they tacked on a false finish and some redemption to lighten the story and insult they were throwing at the audience with the "give em' what they want, you can go back any time you want" speech that preceeded the "first flight".

This would be a good movie to check out all the bonus features should they provide any.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Pantheon4 wrote:
Interstellar

Truer than you know...

Good to see your alive though... or are you?

Oh yeah, as Taruh said, Maleficent. Brilliant.
Congratulations
Sea Post King

Yeah, I guess that ending would have changed the whole tone, but it would have been a bold move. And I'll have to check out Brian Blade's stuff. Thanks for the tip!

I saw Foxcatcher last night, and I thought it was excellent. Tatum, Carell, and Ruffalo are all on top of their game, in that order. Carell delivers a transformative performance that's worthy of all the buzz he's getting, but Tatum is clearly the lead in the film, and he does a fantastic job with the complex part. He has to play brooding, needy, confident, and conflicted, and he nails them all.

I was a little puzzled by how they structured the last act, knowing what happened in real life. For some reason they decided to significantly compress both the timeline of events and how they played out. And then they wrapped up with what I thought was an odd epilogue that, while true, seemed a bit disrespectful of all that happened.

But I'm pretty picky about endings, and overall this is a great film. Also, they shot a good chunk of it at a park about a mile from my house, so that was cool to see onscreen.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

Remember the Titans.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

The Magic Voyage of Sinbad
The Giant Spider Invasion
Lost Continent
Laserblast
Pod People
The Pumaman

I watched the MST3K Turkey Day marathon on Thursday.

Congratulations
Sea Post King

freakinalex wrote:
I watched the MST3K Turkey Day marathon on Thursday.

Love MST3K, great stuff.

I saw The Theory of Everything and Mockingjay over the weekend.

Theory of Everything was a great movie. Eddie Redmayne was excellent, but I thought that Felicity Jones stole the show with a wonderful performance. I didn't know the story of Hawking's personal life, beyond his getting sick, and her character really went through a lot.

Mockingjay was really good, too, but it was clearly a setup movie with lots of exposition, anticipation, and buildup. I had fun watching it, though.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>