Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:

You don't see too many 100 Greatest EPs of All Time lists.

That should be a thing! There are some fantastic EPs.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Agreed.

bigideas wrote:
I say just wait a little longer and make it a full album.
Not too many people remember EPs.
You don't see too many 100 Greatest EPs of All Time lists.

Now if this was the only way we were ever going to hear these tracks, then it is very welcome indeed.

People may be misreading me - what I'm really doing is praising the quality of the EP. Don't let that be lost.

I think it's more of a mini album in a way. Also, in the last 8 or so years some of the best releases I have heard came in EP format honesty. Too many to list on the fly! Maybe that's why?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tungsten
Sea Post King

Thinking that the EP makes much more sense if you got a chance to see Sucre perform live on the recent tour, definitely a 'mini-album' ^^^. Also, it was probably just a matter of timing and availability (w/ Scarlet, family commitments, etc).
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Do we have any info on a possible full-length album coming from Sucre in the (hopefully near) future?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well...

Stacy was pretty active in engaging fans on the Sucre social media right after tour which bodes well but it looks like MUTEMATH is doing some touring and road testing their new material in preparation for a release so Darren is in dispose. Don't know if Stacy is going with or not though. And if Sherri is writing for Eisley, I'm thinking so is Stacy (and hopefully Chauntelle). Albums are usually at least months old prior to release so there's a chance that in the time since last tour they have finished all their press LP4 solo work and are just taking time releasing it. They proved how patient they were when they sat in the Valley for nearly 2 years. Deep Space was recorded in late summer and released the following February. Merriment's Sway was done summer before last and released this past spring, nearly a year later.

Since they are not dealing with the major label behemoth they are free to schedule releases to best benefit their schedules. It makes sense to release music just before a headline our supporting tour with second billing. Knowing that, we can probably see a pattern for when they will release a project and when the associated tour will come.

February-May seems to be the prime months. Everlasting Songs, Loner and Combinations may be the only exceptions to that window. That's just off the too of my head. If they are going to switch gears and go for another late summer lp release ( the new kiddos would be 6 or so months old) my guess is it would be the new Eisley LP, and a Sucre LP would follow in spring 2016 along with Merriment. Sheesh, I'm getting Marvel with it...

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Room Noises Vol. 3 - Sucre Fall 2014 Loner Tour with Merriment and The Honey Trees 9/21/2014

I know it’s been a while. I decided to put some distance between myself and the concert, and with good reason. Taken in stride, I would argue that the show was on par with the best concerts I've attended in my entire life. It is in close running with my first Eisley show back in April 2008, which featured The Envy Corps, Vedera, and The Myriad opening. This Sucre tour, dubbed “their first tour” in interviews, relegates any past touring done with the original core line-up of Stacy King, Darren King, and Jeremy Larson as a different incarnation. So in that sense, this was a debut, but that’s not what it felt like by any stretch of the imagination. I had the pleasure of taking in the show with 3 friends who had never seen Eisley or Sucre live, so their raw feedback on the show offered some fresh perspective.

The Outland Ballroom was a little late opening doors for the show, which fell on a Sunday night. There was bit of a line, augmented by the long narrow stairway that led to the venue. By my eye the crowd was on par with your usual turnout for an Eisley show, which is a good sign for what would be considered a side project by most observers. You can credit that to the infrequency of touring by Sucre, the strength of the recently released new material, the fact that Darren King and Jeremy Larson, founding members and current producers of Sucre hail from that area, or some combination of those factors along with others I haven’t presented. That being the case, there was a sophisticated air to the audience, that befits the expectations one would have listening to A Minor Bird.

The typical expectation of stuffiness that tends to follow sophistication was upended in quick fashion after Merriment took the stage. Merriment, touring in support of their debut full length, Sway, is officially a full band, with the addition of Karsyn Dupree (wife of Collin) on vocals and keys, Remington Dupree on drums, and Austin I’Anson, the Honey Trees touring Bassist filling out the line-up. They were in great form, in sync and relaxed playing together like it was second nature.

The preternatural world-weariness in Christie Dupree’s songwriting takes on new life when rendered by an ensemble, as most of us found out listening to Sway this spring. That energy carries over live, but not at the expense of the beauty and elegance of the songwriting. One area where the added company on stage did seem to augment things, was Christie’s candor. Her witty asides and self-depreciating humor throughout their set was unprecedented and pretty hysterical. The additional players invites additional sound issues, as evidenced by her quip, “Last show, the feedback just kept coming back around so we invited it to join the band!”. The show, which consisted of the majority of Sway along with a bit of Through the Rough, went off pretty much without a hitch and left the audience feeling pleasant and endeared.

The Honey Trees took the stage in what was a bit of a home coming. Though they hail from Northern California, they recorded their new album, The Bright Fire, in Springfield with Jeremy Larson, and were among friends. They were energized, and their songs, many of which tend to evolve from serenity to melodic epiphany with just a hint of cacophony, benefited from that added spark. The core group of Becky Filip, vocals and keys, and Jacob Wick, was augmented by the addition of drummer Aaron Gilligan, the aforementioned Austin I’Anson on bass, and David Gerald Sutton on violin. You would never have imagined that this line-up was a touring incarnation and not the principles who recorded Bright Fire. As a unit they were entrancing. The passion they had for playing these songs, as well as a few from their previous EP Wake the Earth. The shift in styles from Merriment to The Honey Trees tones musically created a noticeable shift in the vibe. In particular, Jacob Wick’s tenor had a particular rasp that when juxtaposed with Becky Filip’s sweet alto, gave the emotion of their songs a combustible chemistry. In a post the Swell Season and Civil Wars world, duets of this sort aren't anything new, but that doesn't make it any less affecting when done skillfully by talented artists. A watershed moment was “Still I Try” from The Bright Fire. It was that song that seemed to leave the audience rapt.

I can’t say enough about the band as a whole, but I’d be lax if I didn’t mention that you can never under-estimate what a great percussionist and an emotive violinist can add to your arrangements. The cohesion of the band was stellar, and their sense of space in regards to their playing was incredibly dynamic, yet balanced. Merriment set the table, and the Honey Trees tilted it as if the Ballroom were on a ship heading into choppy waters with a storm on the horizon, with the climactic moments of each song striking the audience like mist from a wave breaking on the bow.

In what seems like a genius move, The Honey Trees were allowed to take that momentum and reconfigure it to benefit the headliner, Sucre’. Becky Filip and David Gerald Sutton retained their positions and Jacob Wick shifted to the role of Drummer. I imagine this was a watermark performance, given Darren King and Jeremy Larson, who comprised those roles in the studio and previous live incarnations of Sucre’, were in attendance. If that created any pressure, it was only intensified for Stacy King.

After taking the stage with the ascendant “Wandering Back” and a polite greeting, Stacy’s ever elegant, and ever increasingly powerful voice became the focal point of the audience. My friends, having limited exposure to her, picked up on her status as a bit of a prodigy. Considering she has been a lead vocalist for a professional band for the better part of a decade and a half, it should come as no surprise that she has world class talent. That also means there’s a pressure to live up to that talent produce material that showcases it. On top of that, she took a moment to mention that she was incredibly happy, and a little nervous to be performing in front of some of “my closest friends”.

One of the effects nerves has on people, to raise their voice a few pitches, was put to good use on this evening. Stacy’s voice soared on the A Minor Bird material effortlessly, or so it appeared. The songs took on an added intensity with the full band support ( and the previously mentioned wave of momentum from the Honey Trees set). The sophistication of the arrangements didn't suffer, but the energy benefited from the synergy. Songs like “Light Up” and “Hiding Out” had the effect of being musical trebuchets, winding back slowly, yet deliberately, so that the tension was barely noticeable until the songs flung the audience forward.

As can be expected, the the singles “When We Were Young” and “Young and Free” effectively worked as pressure valves for the room, getting the crowd to rock and sway with glee, but the apex of that kind of kineticism came, during “Chemical Reaction”, with it’s tilt-a-whirl ebb and flow. When “Loner” the party went into full swing, and appropriately enough that particular vocal is one of the most assured and empowered in Sucre’s body of work, even if the song might strike some as a departure.

Suffice to say that after that “Line of Fire” served as a fitting exclamation point. They returned with two wonderful covers, which let Stacy really raise the bar, first with “You and Me” which was released as a video in February. I can’t recall ever getting to hear Stacy going full on Soul singer on as much as she does on “You and Me” live, and again, it only showcases her growth and ever-expanding range as a performer. The night was closed by the fan favorite that started it all, “Silver Springs” then announcing “Sorry, we’re out of material!!!” I’m surprised someone didn't walk up with a phone book and ask her to, “Sing this.” everyone would have stayed and listened, no doubt. It was a banner night, in what appeared to be a very fulfilling and encouraging tour for all the bands. For the Duprees, the younger siblings have come into their own as adults in the world of music as well as life. One can only hope this is the first of many tours to come.

Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:04 am; edited 2 times in total
tungsten
Sea Post King

Amen!
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

But did you like it?

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing paragraph 1; sentence 2.

tungsten
Sea Post King

So . . . Boyd posted a photo of Sherri playing keys w/ the caption 'shameless plug of what's to come'. Trying to mentally prepare myself for the idea of Stacy leaving Eisley. Mixed emotions. More Sucre music equals win, no Stacy in Eisley equals sadness. I'm more than positive Sherri could handle it, she's an excellent songwriter (how good were Blue Fish and Currents??), but Stacy is an integral part of Eisley (if not the most solid part of it for me).
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Pffffft.... Even if that does happen making that leap right now is a little much in my opinion. They are writing songs for the next lp. So I take the picture as a clue into that process. That's all. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I'm compelled to persuade you to not fear the worst.

Also today is Sherri's birthday so that is why he is posting pics of her solo.

So yeah, happy birthday to Sherri & in a few minutes CST, Garron Wink

tungsten
Sea Post King

I hope you are right, I've just been getting that vibe.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I am going to keep the putting up a hopeful wall of good vibes and family/band unity! No fear or dread will go unchallenged by my basic faith in the Du-Tang Clan staying together. I would be more inclined to see them doing full swaps of instruments so Stacy can either rock out on guitar or have the luxury of singing without having to play an instrument on full band songs, a luxury that has been Sherri's exclusively as far as I recall.

Since Sucre has mentioned touring again next year (west coast perhaps) and Sherri due in February my guess is that a lats summer tour is the soonest we Eisley or early fall (to go hand in hand with an album release).

The odds that MUTEMATH tours and releases a record makes me think a package tour featuring either Sucre or Eisley opening would be a good fit. With Say Anything having toured Hebrews in the summer and Is a Real Boy now I don't anticipate a release next year for the band proper, which makes me think another Perma record will be underway to coincide with staying home with the newborn given how the last album recorded at home.

That said a Bemis/ Perma acoustic tour could happen somewhere in the mix too which would give a buffer for more time to complete an Eisley release and route a winter tour.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
I am going to keep the putting up a hopeful wall of good vibes and family/band unity! No fear or dread will go unchallenged by my basic faith in the Du-Tang Clan staying together. I would be more inclined to see them doing full swaps of instruments so Stacy can either rock out on guitar or have the luxury of singing without having to play an instrument on full band songs, a luxury that has been Sherri's exclusively as far as I recall.

be cool to see them pull a radiohead kid a, where they all play a different instrument than they typically would.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I don't see any reason for anyone to leave Eisley.
The only thing I could see that might make that a possibility is if one of the side projects got super huge national attention.
Even then, I don't see any reason for it. If they both write about half an album's worth, then they only really need to come up with a half dozen songs every few years for the project.
The only other way I could see it happening is if one of them went really radical and joined some crazy cult that alienated them from the rest of the family - ha.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>