Laughing City
tungsten
Sea Post King

More gold from the Larson/King team:

http://www.cohlkids.com/head-northeast-with-violents/
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

What's a little surprising, in a pleasant way of course, is that Stacy is singing in a higher register for the whole of the vocal, which she hadn't done for a while. On the bridge the similarity between she, Christie, and Sherri's vocal tone comes out and it's sweet to hear. It's distinctly Stacy of course, and that really comes through as she matches the melody of the chorus note-for-note vocally with perfect intonation. That sort of precision tonally and rhythmically a step forward musically and done to great effect.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tungsten
Sea Post King

Yes, the vocal is outstanding and the rhythm of it catches you off guard at first. The music Stacy makes, there's really just nothing else like it.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Interesting. Guess these are digital only.
Any release date for the Stacy EP?

tungsten
Sea Post King

May 5th
plentypine
Sea Post King

So is Stacy no longer in Eisley? I haven't kept up with the band as much, but her new blog says she is "soon to be living in Nashville." And her instagram and twitter bios say she's a "solo artist."
tungsten
Sea Post King

^^^^ I've been saying that for a while now. That seems to keep getting more and more clear. Thinking that the new Eisley record will just be Sherri and Chauntelle. It's hard to imagine them touring without Stacy though. It's such a mixed bag. On the one hand I'll be thrilled to see Stacy devote herself to Sucre, but I'll be sad to see Eisley without her.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Jumping the gun still I think.

Typically Eisley write and record albums I spurts taking few months to do each at most, and do their writing individually. There is no need to stay in Tyler to do that, just like there is no reason to stay in Springfield to do Sucre material with Jeremy Larson.

Since I listen to so many bands that allow for members to do their own thing during hiatuses I'm more comfortable with this idea but it's really this simple:

A working band tends to do things I 2 year cycles where recording and touring is the focus. Tours are usually 2-3 months long if you're going cross country and a band with a stable but not large following might tour cross country once a year, twice if they can land a great opening slot. Otherwise they tend to tour regions in short hops. Smaller bands stay in their local area and only venture out for festivals and special engagements.

This leaves a surplus of free time from music. For smaller bands the members have regular jobs they return to and family commitments to take up their time. For ones who consider music their full time profession they have to make that work apart from the band as a recording artist, musician in another band or session musician or songwriter. That is how you make a living in music outside of touring and album sales, and to do that it helps to be in an industry town. Nashville is THE industry town.

Being in a band that is well established and only tours once or twice a year only requires that the band gather for rehearsals with enough time prior to touring to get their set down. Then they hit the road, and return home, to where ever home might be. Same goes for writing an album every two years.

Being in a band doesn't mean you can't be a solo artist when the band isn't constantly touring and never leaves the road or studio. A lot of bands Eisley are contemporaries with that actually broke up and their people worked on solo material did similar things:

Frontperson/ songwriter builds a studio, and or moves to Nashville/ LA releases solo material
Band mates join other bands and tour, release music
Everyone gets steady employment, some start families

Band realises they don't have to approach being in a band like 19 year olds who operate like a fraternity and figure out how to manage time an resources so they can record and tour when convenient and do other projects as well.

My best examples are MAE, Lovedrug, and Copeland since they are all bands from smaller areas and Dave and Michael of the first two moved to Nashville right off and did solo band records, and Aaron stayed in FL and built a studio.

People tend to walk away from bands when the band becomes a exhausting occupation, of members and management push for it to . that makes it a drain. That for me, explains the Death Cab situation with Walla, Or Anberlin & Thrice hanging up (and thrice is already back at it). Moderation is key.

I will continue to believe that Eisley have figured that out and that the band releasing music and touring functions more like a annual family road trip and writing records I akin to them planning an elaborate gathering with entertainment, and a game of volley ball or touch football for kicks. In this case the sport is replaced with musicianship. Maybe it's more like when church folk I know get together for a "singing" which is just a do her party with choral singing as the shared activity. Or when my musician friend get together to jam? Or all the above.

Anyways, these days the only reasons most people leave bands of this stature are personal, not professional. Being a working musician with a stable if modest audience leaves a lot of room from personal and professional growth and development.

Meanwhile no one has said Darren is leaving MUTEMATH.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

I definitely hear what you are saying, but nonetheless the facts are as such:

1. On instagram a while back, on a post where Stacy mentioned she was working on music, someone commented and said: "For Sucre or for Eisley?" She replied: "For Sucre".

2. On tour, she introduced herself and said, 'Hello everyone, I'm Sucre'. Her blog also describes this further, saying, 'Sucre' is the name I go by (getting clearer that Sucre is now very much just Stacy, not a trio comprised of Larson/King/King); a la 'A Fine Frenzy'.

3. Instagram now says 'Solo Artist / Fashion Blogger'

4. Sherri and Chauntelle have both been mentioned in posts by either Boyd or Eisleyofficial about writing for the new Eisley record, no mention of Stacy.

5. Boyd posted a picture of Chauntelle and Sherri (on keys) and said 'Preview of things to come', no Stacy in the photograph.

They're trying to gently let us know dude!
tungsten
Sea Post King

Also wondering if maybe Stacy might have garnered some attention with the Loner EP and picked up a record deal, hence the move to Nashville (rather than say Springfield, MO).
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

On loner Sucre' is Stacy, as produced by Jeremy and Darren. They get production credit, which in the power world is the equivalent of providing the music the vocalist writes lyrics and sings over. Not sure if that's their approach, given Stacy's musical talent, but I see Sucre as Stacy's art-pop persona/ brand. Sucre' very much the Stacy solo project, so anything she does sensibly notes that. Stacy identifying herself as such doesn't exclude her from doing things with Eisley in my head. Dave Elkins is Schematic, he also fronts and writes for MAE. He doesn't refer to himself as Dave Elkins from MAE when he's doing his solo thing. Its all Schematic. That's an example of my frame of reference. I actually just had a similar experience interviewing Brian Bell, who is in Weezer, but has a band called The Relationship. His management stressed the Weezer connection and the other credits for the rest of the band, but in the interview he did his level best to not mention Weezer at all. It was the elephant in the interview.

Now, I can totally she Eisley being a vehicle of Sherri and Chauntelle now that Chauntelle has grown comfortable singing, and is stellar. Those two could carry the songwriting and vocal responsibilities without issue. The keys/ rhodes would be missed if they dropped it from their music, but then again, like Merriment adding Karsyn to their line-up, there may be another member of the family ready to step up and fill that role? And of course, Sucre' could just as easily appear as a feature act on an Eisley album the same way Merriment did on Currents, or the varying Duprees did on Say Anything's Hebrews.

One thing is for sure, and this is the appropriate thread to make mention of this:

Jeremy Larson's stock and trade is as a producer and composer, and in order to make a living of it, he has to be seen as such by the industry, rather than as a constant collaborator with a small pool of artists he's close with. Darren is his production partner. It's in everyone's best interest professionally for them them to establish themselves in this capacity. Sucre' is the ideal vehicle for that as it's the possibly their highest profile client so far, with the potential to grow. That growth, given current trends, depends of the elevation of Stacy as a solo artist apart from the band incarnation of Sucre', and to a certain extent, as the front person of Eisley.

Violents started on the heels of Loner, which was the first Larson production of this phase. Northeast will hopefully bring more attention to his production work given Stacy's involvement. But again, when you consider the way A Minor Bird was put together, apart from the stylistic shift in music, their process doesn't seem to have changed. It's the branding and positioning of themselves professionally.

In the case of Sucre', her growth trajectory benefits from collaboration with higher profile artists and producers. Nashville is the place to do that. Stacy is a talented songwriter and that's the songwriting capital of the world. There's a wealth of work in publishing and recording that she has the credentials for. But again, success depends on her ability to establish herself as an entity unto itself. That's what I see this as, but I don't see it as excluding anything she's done beforehand either.

We'll see before long. As long as they keep making the quality of music they have, and pushing the envelop to not get into a rut with their writing, I will support most everything they do, regardless of the line-up. If not I would have bemoaned Jonathan leaving and given up on the band way back when.

Congratulations
Sea Post King

tungsten wrote:
I definitely hear what you are saying, but nonetheless the facts are as such:

1. On instagram a while back, on a post where Stacy mentioned she was working on music, someone commented and said: "For Sucre or for Eisley?" She replied: "For Sucre".

2. On tour, she introduced herself and said, 'Hello everyone, I'm Sucre'. Her blog also describes this further, saying, 'Sucre' is the name I go by (getting clearer that Sucre is now very much just Stacy, not a trio comprised of Larson/King/King); a la 'A Fine Frenzy'.

3. Instagram now says 'Solo Artist / Fashion Blogger'

4. Sherri and Chauntelle have both been mentioned in posts by either Boyd or Eisleyofficial about writing for the new Eisley record, no mention of Stacy.

5. Boyd posted a picture of Chauntelle and Sherri (on keys) and said 'Preview of things to come', no Stacy in the photograph.

They're trying to gently let us know dude!

Very interesting, I think that all adds up to a pretty convincing case.

I'm kinda digging this track, too. The lyrics and melody are a bit repetitive, but Stacy's vocals sound fantastic.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Has anyone simply asked any of them? Ha.

The thing about Nashville is that it is primarily Country. Yes, Wil will list a few non-Country acts like Paramore because he is Wil, but it is still mostly Country. I don't know of many solo acts doing non-Country in Nashville other than Jack White, Ben Folds. Then there are bands like The Black Keys and probably some from the Christian music industry.

plentypine
Sea Post King

Hmm yeah I guess the moving to Nashville part doesn't concern(?) me as much as her making no mention of Eisley on an any of these platforms, whereas for instance Darren (who I don't follow but I just checked) has simply "MUTEMATH" as his twitter bio.
Then again her instagram is "sucremusic" so I can see not promoting Eisley on there, but even on her personal non-sucre twitter she is "solo artist/blogger"

But yeah..somebody should just ask them. Not it! Smile
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The majority of artists I know who moved there are singer songwriters or alternative/ indie artists who fronted bands and write the songs/ helped produce them.