Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

blue velvet. I should probably be embarassed that I hadn't ever gotten around to seeing it. My wife tells me it's my brother's favorite movie. who knew?

I can only imagine what it would be like to live in the mind that it spung from though.
Congratulations
Sea Post King

Haha, yeah. I don't think I'd want to be inside David Lynch's head for very long. I bet it's a pretty scary place! That said, have you seen any of his other movies? I really liked Wild at Heart, and Mulholland Drive was a fun jigsaw puzzle of a movie. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was great, too.

I finally saw The Runaways, and wow it was good. I think it's funny how seemingly all of the press at the time was about Kristen Stewart. I'm a fan of her, but in my opinion she basically disappeared behind Dakota Fanning's performance in this movie. Dakota did an amazing job, the rest of the cast was good, and the whole thing was a mostly fun slice of that time period. I really dug it.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 332 | Location: Northern Virginia
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Dracula Untold - Smile enjoyable.. I have a couple of caveats but they did what they were supposed to with this one.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9596 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Congratulations
Sea Post King

Cool, I was wondering how that turned out, but I haven't caught it yet.

I saw the Entourage movie this weekend, and it was about what I expected it to be. It was pretty much a good, but not great, super-sized episode of the show with some ramp up at the beginning to get non-viewers of the show up to speed.

They checked off all the normal Entourage things (celebs, toys, Ari freakouts) as they made their way through the silly plot.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 332 | Location: Northern Virginia
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

St. Vincent - Smile nice to see Bill Murray not being Bill Murray. Kind of forgot that was within his abilities. Couldn't help but feel like this was Uncle Buck/ Dutch/ Big Daddy made new though. It had its moments though. The deleted scene for once showed the value od restraint.

Whiplash Smile aka Mr. A-Hole's Opus.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

Sharknado

I watched the Rifftrax Live recording of it with my girlfriend to prep for the Sharknado 2 Rifftrax on July 9th.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Taken 3 Cool Spoilers If there were a movie with Famke Janssen as the leads, it would almost have to be Romeo & Juliet at this point. Brings new meaning to "the Dye is caste", but spelled different.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The Babadook
Escape From New York
Cocoon
Best Worst Movie
Blind Date
Romancing the Stone
Over the Top
Trick 'r Treat
Cut
Inherent Vice
Big Eyes
Exodus: Gods & Kings
Aliens
Bushwhacked
Ping Pong Summer
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
MI:3
Arachnophobia
Very Bad Things
Seven Psychopaths
The Equalizer
The Interview
The Blob (1988)
Who's Harry Crumb?
Secretary
The Tree of Life
Prom Night I & II
Last Action Hero

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Star Wars on VHS. The original version without all of the added cgi garbage. I was showing it to my niece's 9 year old son. He said he didn't want to see it. He said Star Wars was boring. I told him he was just thinking of the new crappy ones or the animated series. I started it up and he just kept saying "nooo, sucks, booring!" while holding a pillow up to his face and puching himself. He calmed down and started playing some Mario game on his 3ds and refused to watch except to say a random "boring" or "they're terrible shots." Screw him, I hadn't seen this version in like 15 years and I loved it even though it wasn't letterboxed or hd. After it was over he grabbed a dvd of 15 cheapo horror movies my mom bought from the bargain bin at Walmart a few years ago. He chose Killjoy. He watched that whole damn thing. My mom said it was terrible but she watched it all too. Philistines..

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2595 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Those 2 DVD SEs from a few years ago have the untouched versions as an extra on each movie. They're non-anamorphic widescreen. I think they are basically taken from laserdiscs. I used to see them at Walmart all the time and put off getting them because I figured George would wise up and give the fans what they wanted. Time passed and I realized they were going out of print. They were no longer at Walmart. I found Star Wars used before they got too scarce. Then I lucked out and found new copies of Empire and Jedi new at normal price at a local Hasting's. One advantage of living in E Tx is that sometimes you will come across out of print stuff that would be long gone in a larger market.

I think the internet is stopping this though. Hasting's has their store inventories online. I think the company is contacting the local branches and requesting the out of print stuff, because some things are leaving stores around here where I don't think there would be any local fans to buy it.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
"boring" or "they're terrible shots." *

Philistines..

QFT

*for a kid who was born in 2005-6 that's probably true. He got to see Avengers when he was 5. His perspective is going to be warped no matter what.

Monuments Men - Smile closest I can imagine their being to a live action Pixar wwii movie.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Heh, he wasn't really throwing a fit, just goofin and teasing me. He truly has no interest in Star Wars though. Pretty sad.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2595 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I grew up in a church where all the other kids in the youth group went to an even smaller school than I did. This was pre-satellite(little satellites anyway) so they only picked up antennae stations and they mostly listened to country radio. None of them had any interest in Star Wars either. That was before the prequels, so of they saw those, I doubt they wanted to go back to the originals.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I LOVED Star Wars at first. But my age is a factor. I saw Empire Strikes Back when it first fame out in the theaters, but I was so young it literally overwhelmed me. I remembered the plot and all the drama, but it was this impressionistic blur of agony, betrayal, grief, and unrest. When Return of the Jedi came out I was 7 years old and very much of my own mind, and it was a movie for 7 year old when you get down to it. I loved it at the time, but I honestly grew out of my affinity for those movies by the time I hit college. In general I got a lot less sentimental about all of that stuff as I got more into music, which replaced movies and comics in my life.

The biggest problem was the struggle to get sequels and adaptations made. Batman was excellent in 89', but that was it for comic book movies. Terminator 2 was like a bolt of lightening cinematically, but after that it was original properties that took most of my interest.

It wasn't until I was near the end of college that all the stuff of my youth was being made into movies, or revamped, and the results were mixed. If a kid doesn't dig Star Wars now, I honestly can't blame them. The ideas of those movies have been distilled and refined in every manner of entertainment for adults and kids for the last near 40 years. The execution of those ideas has only gotten more polished along the way.

The one weakness of Star Wars is that there was no novel concept that they pioneered in the narrative. It literally was a space opera. Terminator and Back To The Future were my introduction to time travel so I will remember then for introducing paradoxes as plot devices. Star Wars was at that time a contemporary achievement in set and costume design and special effects, and for me back then it was no more impressive that Excalibur or Dune. In the case of all 3, the marvels of technological advancement and finance mean that we can see a multitude of movies that quality on a regular basis every few months, instead of every few years.

So, as a kid, If I saw The Last Airbender & Ender's Game, before I saw Star Wars would be an easy thing to scoff at.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
Star Wars on VHS....

Funny story Laughing The way you tell it I mean, not funny that your next gen kin are awash in philistinery. The 2-disc dvds bigideas mentions can be found regularly on ebay but you're lucky if you can get one for < $20. I haven't been able to bring myself to pay that for a so-so transfer (indeed they are sourced from 1980s laserdisc) for a movie I've seen over 20 times. So far. I have to think & have heard rumors that Disney will release a DVD with the original, untampered cut. Why wouldn't they? They'll rape any folklore for a dollar and they know there's a demand for it, besides it was always Lucas who was being the ass about wanting his 'Special Edition' to be the definitive version.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>