Laughing City
johnip
Vintage Newbie

So is that it then?
It's so quiet nowadays
This must be the end.

Do you remember not being able to keep up with the front page posts? How about the Photos thread? v2? Dear Blank? Stream of Consciousness? All wiped off the face of the cyberspace that is(was?) Laughing City. Obliterated by a rising tide of [Poll]s from the even more ancient past. I wonder how they acquired their immortality? What set them apart in the eyes of this forum's Creator?

What's left but a few folks wandering this lonely ghost town?

Lost at Forum

to be honest, it's hard to not feel this way when the band seems to be going in separate ways. i know they're writing another album, but with everyone having their own side projects, it almost seems like an afterthought.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Well crap. Somehow I posted this here instead of the General forum...... I didn't mean for this to be about the band.
Vintage Newbie

I know, I seriously lost my breath for a second...

Don't ever do that again.oh, and polls let you set an expiration after a certain number of days. Set it to 0 and relative immortality is achieved.

Now PM a mod to move this bad boy pronto!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
johnip
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

Now PM a mod to move this bad boy pronto!

Are there any left?

Vintage Newbie

I'm sure Antrider would take care of it, probably Pzy (Luke) too.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Two fold...

#1 most of the band members are parents now. They may be musicians but they can't raise kids and be the touring band they used to be. The Sundays...Harriet and her husband had kids and that was it. No more band. The Innocence Mission...Karen and Don had kids and that pretty much turned them into a studio band only. It's going to get harder and harder for them to play as a group as they will be pulled in so many different directions because of the additions to their family. It's a choice they made which leads me into #2...

#2 with so little going on Eisley wise, the band has lost their momentum (compared to where it was years ago pre-babies) and fans have moved onto other things in the meanwhile. I don't think that momentum will ever come back...prepare for longer breaks and less tours. And with us fans so busy with other things, places like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like are where we're hanging out when we have time.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I agree with the momentum notion to a point, but after having seen several bands who have been totally off my radar play to pretty solid draws minus any strong push to publicize what they are up to now, I do believe that more time is a good thing to minimize fan fatigue and reset expectations.

It's good for a band to put some distance between their works when they go through major transitions, be it stylistically, line-up, or business-wise. Starting over may seem daunting, but in may cases, name familiarity aids with that process far more. The Velvet Teen go featured by NPR for the first time that I can recall since I became a fan in 2003, this being 9 years since their last LP and 5 since their last EP. They were able to get label support to release their new album after self releasing their last effort. Copeland didn't get the same sort of coverage, but a 6 year gap separates their hiatus and this last tour they did.

It's easy to forget that since the release of The Valley Eisley released something each year, Deep Space and Currents for 2012 & 2013. At that point they also began releasing side projects (not counting Christie/Merriment):

A Minor Bird 2012
Everlasting Songs 2013
Two of A Crime 2014
Loner 2014
Sifting Through Sadness 2015

contrast that with their output pre-parenting & during the Warner years, and you could argue that being off the road more often has resulted in more music making by the band, independent of each other. But in addition to that the time span between Eisley releases hasn't been longer than before (i'm excluding EPs with 1 or 2 new songs and live versions of previously released tracks, as I see them more as maxi-singles/ CD5s).

Laughing City and Marvelous Things were released in 2003
Room Noises 2005
Combinations 2007
Fire Kites 2009

Looking at it this way, they have become more productive, rather than less productive. Touring is the one aspect of being a working musician that is less an indulgence and more a matter of practicality. Tours Cost, so unless demand and resources can over that cost and also make up for the time spent touring that could be used earning income otherwise, it's not worth doing. For that reason I fully support bands I love touring sparingly and plotting tours to prosper from them. That helps them stay together and keep making music, rather than taxing themselves and their resources to the point of breaking.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Plenty is going on behind the scenes ... there are just so many other things going on in addition. The industry is such a weird beast now, too ...

Also, I'm totes going to mod ban this thing with the vengeance I apparently used to display. Tyranny!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I'm going to double post because who's even reading much anymore?

It's my 12th Forum anniversary. Shocked

I'm glad this is still here, even if it's nearly a ghost town.

Still nothing like this community. Not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I owe it so much.

I wish everyone could have something in their lives as special as this place was to me. Everything changes, but nothing changes what was.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That last sentence, wonderfully put!

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

wilsmith wrote:
That last sentence, wonderfully put!

Thank you!

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Not a single post about the line-up shift in any of the threads anticipating it, or a new thread popping up in the forum only means 1 thing to me:

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

I kid you not, this is no laughing matter.

[\era]

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i'm excited about it. hahaha too busy with work to make new threads lately though.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
tungsten
Sea Post King

I've been predicting Stacy's departure for months now... I was surprised to hear Chauntelle was out, I could have sworn she posted on Instagram recently "writing for Eisley".

goto page
 | next >>