Laughing City
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Has anyone seen a Merriment CD somewhere besides their record label or at a concert?

No 'who buys physical media' comments, please. =)
Could probably find one somewhere in Dallas... Someone broke into my car a couple of days ago and stole our nylon CD case that was filled with CDs, including Merriment's LP. Out of curiosity, when we were over on Lower Greenville yesterday, we asked a guy working at EZ Pawn if he'd seen 'em, and it turned out that someone called that morning about wanting to unload a nylon case "full of DVDs." I concluded it was our thief, and that he must be a Gen-Yer, as only someone of my generation would fail to consider that someone might keep such ancient media as the compact disc in their car. My excuse is that I married a Gen-Xer, and most of those CDs are his. Razz
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Whatever. Anyone who got rid of their cds for mp3s is a sucker! If you own a high res digital music file why ditch it for a low one when you could make your own and keep the backup aka CDs?

Truth is, with the dates for gen x being sketchy I think k it's fair to say anyone who experienced their post pubescent years in the CD era is justified to still listen to them. Of you still have the working players isn't it more wasteful to toss them and constantly buy new devices? That's true conservation. Idea

All that aside it's humbling to see the low key promo effort with Sway. But then again, I had no clue Collin was engaged and getting married this weekend until early this week, so I'm sure that takes focus with the Dupree family and on the label side I figure they are focusing on the Say Anything release.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I finally bit the bug and bought the CD through MerchNow since it was never available on Amazon - where I could bundle it with other things and save on shipping costs.

If I ordered just the Merriment CD shipping would be as follows:

USPS Media $4.69
USPS 1st Cls $4.50

When I added the Rising Fawn CD

Media $4.69 (no change)
1st cls $5.22

So I stuck with Media Mail. Interesting.
=================
Ok, got my CD. According to tracking, it went from New York to California to get to Texas? It looks like it travelled that far, package was very dirty and CD digipak was dinged up.

I am enjoying the album. I'm most surprised by the dark places it goes, like in Tremendous Love where it gets heavy. There are dissonant chords at times that I dig. I figured I would like a few songs at best, but it seems pretty solid throughout.

I believe I read somewhere that they had a video coming out.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

they are touring with sucre this fall

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

http://www.altpress.com/aptv/video/merriment_tremendous_love_video_pre miere

Tremendous Love video directed by Darren

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i love this album so much.
way better than the ep too.

my wife and kids love it too. which is saying a lot.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
tungsten
Sea Post King

So glad Merriment got a music video out for the new record. Love that song
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just a head's up that they are on tour supporting Dustin Kensrue with the Rocketboys. They are playing a 7 or 8 song set, and Christie and Remington are the only holdovers in the line up. Colin and Karsyn are not on this tour, and the guitarist and bassist work at the Foundry, I didn't catch what she said about her co-vocalist. No keys in this incarnation. They sounded very good, though Colin's tone and feel were missed.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
rchamp
Sea Post King

https://youtu.be/qGzV2CjXwXM
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I totally forgot to mention that they were playing a new song an writing for a new album. Man, Christie projects vocally like nobody's business. Thanks for sharing this.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Have they said anywhere why her EP recorded at the end of 2016 hasn't come out yet? At the time she wanted to do an entire record, but the label said it was best to do an EP first - something along those lines. With that in mind, I really thought it would have been released by now. I know she moved to Nashville afterwards, so I don't know if that would have changed plans.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, the first thing I can think of is, that other matters have taken precedent. The label itself is on the quiet side. No tweets in 3.5 years https://twitter.com/roryrecords

Same goes for Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RoryRecords/

Say Anything and Eisley have been the primary focuses of the Equal Vision/ Tyler connection in that time. So much so that the remaining two members of the touring version of Merriment (circa the Sway release) Christie & Remington, became touring members of Eisley. Meanwhile, the other two members, Collin & Karsyn, relocated to Nashville and released two independent projects.

One fair question to ask is, since Christie went by her name when she toured before Collin joined, would it be proper for her to adopt that approach again now that they aren't playing together as a band? Most of the tour announcements I've seen have been acoustic sets with other singer songwriters. It also seems like solo acts are getting more favor in the industry than bands/ duos again with the likes of Julien Baker, Angel Olson and others getting a lot of coverage.

Trying to make an inroads to a sustainable career in music these days (solo or with a band) if you compromise yourself, is a never ending game of cat and mouse that at time costs more to play than the eventual payout if you hit any sort of jackpot will deliver.

Sometimes maybe the best approach is to wait until you're in a position of strength so you don't have your art, time, and energy drained trying to make things work in a system notorious for exploitation and failure?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I think she's already done several Merriment tours without Collin. No need for a name change. He was not involved in the EP either. They've already spent the money on the recording, it just needs to be released.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

When she opened for Kensrue it was with a full band. But at this point touring without a band, or maybe doing a songwriter collaboration with other solo acts on the bill is a return to how things were before she took on the Merriment band name. Who knows what the marketplace is looking like, but making a distinction might be advantageous at this stage.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

FYI - the EP was stated to be in mixing stage recently - so it shouldn't be too long before it comes out.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>