Laughing City
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

I haven't signed in here in a long time, but saw my name pop up in some TX show threads. So...I wasn't there unless it was a Sucré show, but hi! I wanted to read thoughts on recent changes from the few people who still hang around here and also say a couple things:

Anyone who still questions Stacy's motivation for leaving should read her blog. Yes, musical direction played a part, but it's also about building a home life and her lack of desire to tour in the future for Sucré or any other project.

The transition and announcement were both handled exactly as I expected they would be, in a very "gentle" and prolonged way that they maybe could've knocked out a year ago when Stacy made it 99% clear in press for Loner.

This community has a way of dismissing valid criticism of Eisley as a brand and group of professional musicians (even with things like glaring, persistent vocal issues) with "but loyalty!1!" It's personal where it shouldn't be. That's kind of exhausting. I'm glad and almost excited for anyone who wants to stick out the band's transition, but I don't feel obligated to do so even after hanging around for ten years and it's strange to make people feel like they should.

This is a little like, "I'm not gonna watch The Eisley Show anymore even though I love the cast (and their instagrams)." Maybe I'll check in during sweeps. Keep the forum alive and save a Sucré thread for me. Smile
Last edited by princesstripandfall on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I just want to emphasize that my issues with the lineup changes aren't based on talent. I base my opinion on the intangibles that will be gone and my viewing of that 7 minute video. I had considered going to the Baltimore show...but not now. Maybe once the new album is released that will excite me. But for now I'll remain on the sidelines and see what happens. Like I said, sometimes you just know if you like something or not. I'm just not enjoying what I'm hearing/seeing in that video.

I still haven't bought the new Rising Fawn CD. I listened to samples of it again today and I'm just not feeling it. I soooo want to like it. It's just not resonating with me.

wilsmith wrote:
That happens with a lot of bands, and it's not fickle when the change ultimately proves to be significant. It's all about time tables though.

If someone were to say they had issues with the sound of the band because they expect it to be more of a vehicle for Sherri, and their apprehension about that based on what they've heard before, I can understand that. I just think that's a different argument than saying the new members won't be up to snuff or contribute something worthwhile going forward.

For me, it's not a stretch to say that I've heard several artists, who being Merriment and Rising Fawn, that make me think of the Eisley people expected coming out of Room Noises and Laughing City & Marvelous Things EPS respectively. Going outside of the Duprees, Cynlovescandy's band Merdog released an EP that wowed me, as well as an artist Stuart Buck just posted here, Billie Marten. Aspects of what we might have foreseen for Eisley being delivered upon by others.

That could serve as justification for Eisley to push in other directions. It could be motivation to refine and improve upon that template, and take ownership of it as their signature sound. Who knows until we hear it? Meanwhile, allowing them to get their "sea legs" on this tour is a courtesy worth extending.

I don't know if I posted this hear, but once I heard the new members had their own band I went to hear something of theirs. I heard this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rD5UIVbLcA and the first things that struck me was the vocal resemblance to Chauntelle, and the great guitar tones, all the while in the midst of that 70s AM radio vibe that Stacy seems to thrive in when writing with Eisley. In short, things people seemed to love a lot about Eisley that they don't associate with Sherri. So I have high hopes for this touring line-up. And that was absent considering Christie's potential contributions.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

princesstripandfall wrote:

This community has a way of dismissing valid criticism of Eisley as a brand and group of professional musicians (even with things like glaring, persistent vocal issues) with "but loyalty!1!" It's personal where it shouldn't be. That's kind of exhausting. I'm glad and almost excited for anyone who wants to stick out the band's transition, but I don't feel obligated to do so even after hanging around for ten years and it's strange to make people feel like they should.

This is a little like, "I'm not gonna watch The Eisley Show anymore even though I love the cast (and their instagrams)." Maybe I'll check in during sweeps. Keep the forum alive and save a Sucré thread for me. Smile

Great points. The thing with Loner that was a little confusing for me was that that Darren and Jeremy were also relegated to the background, it didn't strike me as a move from Eisley, so much as a move towards, "I am a solo artist". For me solo artist doesn't exclude people from being in bands as well. But that's beside the point for now...

Her blogs were honest and put out some things that I don't think were public knowledge. I read them when they came out, and it seems like not many fans were paying attention up until the Youtube posts from Sherri picked up some steam. Stacy did address it indirectly a few times, and then ultimately in a direct and sincere way.

I'm pretty sure the knee jerk defensiveness of the past has withered and died around here. Defensiveness on my part it reserved for responding to critical broadsides and potential premature and uninformed evaluations. I'm a diplomatic kind of person, and if you ever want to get a real idea of where I stand, make note of what I do and don't refute, or redress in a response. If it's not something that is just rude and offensive, an omission of response is an acknowledgment of validity. But I'm not everybody.

Always good to see folks posting again after a long time away. Never hurts to look on the bright side though. Optimism is hard to find these days. Music is one area where I find it frequently. In a perfect world more can always be made.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I guess I have not read any of Stacy's blogs relating to this. Do you really have to Sign Up just to view her bloglovin.com blog?

I also see an older one that has not been updated since 2012.

Looks like I found it:

http://www.sucremusic.squarespace.com

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

watching the clip now. to be honest, i think the band sounds the same. christie sounds so similar to stacy sometimes, i think it's hardly a change.

when the farro brothers left paramore, i remember seeing overzealous fans online saying that the band would never be the same. meanwhile, me and my coworkers working at a venue at the time just said, "whatever, they'll just hire some people to help fill it out live and it'll sound the same." this is the same case. sure, the album dynamic will definitely be different, but in terms of live performance, they sound the same as they ever had to me.

then again, i'm also not the kind of person to often judge emotion as i really just can't ever, and i've learned how deceiving it is; hearing people say they were almost laughing or not really feeling a song when it gets praised for sounding emotional and gut wrenching. then, i've recorded some songs where i was on the verge of tears and people comment saying i sound happy, indifferent, or about to laugh.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, the hallmark of a professional is being able to portray the emotion of a song convincingly, and be able to move on to whatever is required of them by the next piece/song, or life beyond the performance. To harness the muse rather than be a slave to it.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Listened to the Deep Space EP today.
I forgot that was 80% more or less Sherri songs.
I like it. The Stacy track is dang good too though.
Hopefully this is the feel of the next LP.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yes, that EP was such an inspired effort. It was their first home recording, and intentionally a distillation of their earliest influences in some spaces. Outside of 192 Days, which saw the light of day on Fire Kites as a demo, the 4 new songs were all benchmarks for the band.

Lights Out is THE waltz of all waltzes in their catalog, and maybe the biggest Anthem they've written ever.

Laugh It Off is the epitome of their Fleetwood Mac channeling, and Drink the Water seems impossible without first opening that door with this one.

Deep Space is quiet loud formula done to its utmost, and set the table for the song Currents, which added a groove to that kind of structure

One Last Song... just works perfectly. It could go on like that for waaaaay longer. Yeah, Deep Space was a masterstroke.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I hope Sherri embraces more of her Beatle-y / Radiohead-y side than the pop punk/emo side...unless that's SDRE/Enigk emo, what emo was originally. Ha.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Agreed to a degree. It all comes down to which bit of Radiohead and Beatles she channels.

I'm voting for The White album + Kid (A)mnesiac

From what I can recall Sherri really liked Return of the Frog Queen, and you can hear that in the a lot of the Eisley songs prior to Room Noises. Because of that I imagine the SDRE album the sounds the most like something she'd write might be How It Feels To Be Something On, which was going to be the next Enigk solo album and is arguably the album that has aged really well, but sounds like them. You could argue that the Rising Tide sounds like a different band altogether at times, though I love it dearly.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i still like sad and mr. moon a lot. i think currents is a good indication of her songwriting, though.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Agreed. I really enjoy all but 4 songs on that album, and for people who like to pick one writer over another, two are by Stacy, and two are by Sherri. Not because they are bad songs, just askew of what I get into musically. 3 of those 4 are probably the adult alternative/ contemporary moments on the album, and one is just a bit of a sore thumb.

The Valley is legitimately an album with 9 singles, the Valley, Sad, and Better Love being more rocking than anything they had done in a while, without venturing too far from directions they had headed in previously, and in a way, a bridge to Deep Space.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I can't remember if this came up when Deep Space came out, but a local horror host show had Killer Shrews on and the poster caught my eye:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Shrews

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Nope, don't remember that, but Boyd had the Creature of the Black Lagoon as is avatar on a bunch of sites once upon a time, so I'm guessing he digs vintage horror, which would explain the similarity? As a graphic designer who specializes in print, vintage posters would likely be a big source of inspiration. The homage would be appropro.

Oh, yeah, it says one of the stars was "Judge" Henry Dupree, so there's that...

PoorMe
Sea Post King

Wait -- so Eisley is now a Sheri solo project?

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>