Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
Wonder Woman was very entertaining and managed to hit all the right notes Love

I enjoyed that too even though I have reached superhero saturation.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

This was the year the Super Hero Levee broke, but along the way, the River crested with Logan, Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman.

It was like a sequence of films about getting over your daddy issues in a nutshell.

Caught most of John Wick 2 and it was pretty solid for a gun-fu flick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoder-Munst: Hurm Cumin - Very Happy It was well done, and had some of the most memorable moments of any film with the character thus far, ones there won't be the source of goofy parodies.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9571 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
leighish
Vintage Newbie

You know, these days I mostly catch bits and pieces of movies. Today I caught a bit of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6173 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Django Unchained
Kiss of the Tarantula
It's Alive
John Dies at the End
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Vigilante
Mummy/Mummy Returns with Brendan F
I had never seen these. I thought they were OK, but then I watched a review and they were talking about funny/great lines and I didn't remember them. Turned out that Spike TV edited out funny lines and humor. This shocked me. I know violence and steamy scenes will be edited out, but I had no idea they would edit out funny parts. This blew my mind. I guess I have to watch it on home video to truly judge it now.
new Planet of the Apes trilogy

Baby Driver
Valerian 3D
Keeping Up with the Joneses
Legend of Tarzan
Spiderman Homecoming
mst3k: Hercules
freejack
it's a small world
salvation
punk vacation

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Since my last post:

Transformers - Whatever the other verbiage was - Neutral Zero emotional investment and what felt like three movies worth of ideas crammed into one under cooked batch.

Valerian - City of 1000 Planets or something - Cool First movie I saw using a gift card I won for commenting on Aristotle Full Throttle's Movie Vlogs Dane DeHaan felt like he was playing Brad Pitt if Brad Pitt was playing Keanu Reeves. Cara Delevigne's characterization was harder to place but felt just as forced at times. Between this and the Enchantress she's 0 for 2 in my book. She has a striking look, so I understand the desire to turn her unto a bankable stare. Besson pulled it off with Mila in the Fifth Element, but 20 years later, his take on that Moonlighting dynamic doesn't work so well. I don't know who the 2017 analogs for Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd would be, but DeHaan and Delevigne felt hampered by the script and direction. That's the downside of it being such an effects heavy, fast paced film.

The Dark Tower Smile - Going with no expectations, having never read a single Stephen King novel or comic inspired by them, this was not as bad as critics would have had me believe. Basically a decent sci-fi/ Fantasy/ noir movie, like Cowboys & Aliens in some ways, or the 1980s Masters of the Universe in others. It definitely feels more like an attempt to turn a young adult novel into a film series than anything else though. Speaking of which...

Divergent Series: Allegiant Cool - Whelp, none of these were anything to write home about, but this is probably the best of the three. It has the biggest scope, and the highest budget (though the effects were a little suspect for major sequences). The parallels with The Hunger Games series (and the Maze Runner films) are even more transparent in this film. The plot relies on some series naivete on the part of the protagonists and is really hard to take at times. The performances are descent, but Shailene Woodley being the star, is outshone by her older costars, and even a few of the younger ones, who are given more defined emotions to play relative to their subplots. Did this even come out theatrically.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Logan Lucky
Twenty Bucks
Hitman's Bodyguard
Wind River
Very Bad Things
Terminator 2 3D
Dunkirk
Into the Night
Dune
Premature
Of Unknown Origin
The Long Goodbye
The Swarm
Prince Sign 'O' the Times
It
Class of 1984
Jack Reacher Never Go Back
Treasure of the Matacumbe
Deathdream
Pirates Carib 2/3
Somewhere in Time
Kingsman heavily edited for TV
Thank God It's Friday
A Ghost Story
Killer Party
Blade Runner 2049

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Bladerunner 2049 Smile - a few flaws but very well don

It Smile Same as above.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Rifftrax Live: Night of the Living Dead
Geostorm 3D
Sunshine 2007
The Burning
Thor: Ragnarok
Bat v Supes
Suicide Squad
Justice League 3D

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Thor In Imax - Very Happy
Justice League In Real 3D Cool

Next up, The Last Jedi.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I saw The Last Jedi at 7pm on Thursday and then saw it in 3D the next day.

I didn't buy any advance tickets, I had to be in Tyler to get a Christmas gift, so I decided to check the 4 theaters showing it at multiple times. The oldest theater had a line out the door, and I knew the dinner theater with all reserved seats was pretty full for most showings. I decided to try the AMC at about 10 til 7 and there was no ticket line. I think the fact that there was a 7:15 showing made a lot of people choose that to avoid the 7, which made the 7 not bad at all. I walked right in. There were no late people, because they would just go to a later showing. There was a long line to get into the IMAX screening - that is people who already had tickets that were trying to get into the theater itself. I had the entire floor section to myself. It was awesome. Sat on the furthest row back without any people in front of me.

Tons of movies coming out, too. There are 4 new ones this week alone. Jumanji getting good reviews is surprising me, so I wouldn't mind seeing it now. Downsizing looks the most interesting and reminds me of the kind of movie Charlie Kaufman and/or Michel Gondry were doing a decade ago.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I enjoyed the Last Jedi.

I saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - It was solid for me going in blind. Well acted and an indie throwback.

Then we saw Ladybird when we found out neither The Darkest Hour or The Shape of Water were out yet. Again going in blind, had we not ate at buffalo wild wings before and our waitress, upon finding out we were pressed for time, asked what we were seeing and said she liked it and that it was a good coming of age film for teenage girls. Us being three guys in our late thirties and early 40s a chuckle was shared at our own potential awkwardness being put in the fore. Turns out the sparse crowd was more heterogeneous than expected and it was a very good movie. For the one of our trio who is married, and a father, he immediately wanted to reach out to his spouse because he could see her relationship with her mother in the portrayals, much how I could see aspects of my ex's persona in the protagonist.

And then we saw The Shape of Water. It was really well done, and we were salty that the trailer ran for it before Ladybird, because going into that one with no clue what was in store would have been an even more fascinating experience. There are some things I could have done without but it didn't hurt the movie. It did up the Awkwardness level to maximum given the mix of people going to see it. I could hear the elderly couple to my right heave a bit at one particular scene.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The Rocky films have been on a lot lately.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Phantom Thread Cool - I went in with no expectation, and it still wasn't what I expected.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I went the whole month of Feb without going to the show and have yet to this month. I was never that interested by the trailers for Annihilation, but the buzz makes it sound like something I would like. It looks like it's not coming to the cheaper theater though. Hopefully Tomb Raider is decent. I'll probably see that unless the reviews are awful.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

I enjoyed Annihilation. You should see it at some point.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>