Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The Old Man & the Gun
Halloween 2018

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Maze Runner: The Death Cure Cool

I checked out about 10 movies from the library to continue my tradition of renewing for the maximum period of time and not watching them:

Atomic Blonde
Lucy
Logan Lucky
Baby Drive
Ghost In A Shell
The Girl With All The Gifts
Kong: Skull Island
Kingsmen: The Golden Circle
Lion

Then the picture tube on my TV blew out. Good thing you can get a 32" flat screen to for $99 at Best Buy if you wanna. I don't really wanna. I was gifted the 27" analog TV by an Ex'es cousin 10 years ago when I started renting my first house. I think they got it from one of those hotel sales. I have spent more time and emotional energy trying to find the proper way to dispose of it than it took finding an inexpensive replacement. At this point I'm considering just watching movies on my computer if the mood hits me. I'm content watching vlogs on youtube to pass time otherwise.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9595 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
leighish
Vintage Newbie

Ralph Breaks The Internet.

It was okay.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Bumblebee
Unbreakable
Split
Glass

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Getting a new TV was an ordeal thanks to Fed Ex, but it worked out.

I have gotten in the habit of going out to the movies with friends more regularly, so now I have to play catch-up:

Tag - Really Fun movie. Only went because I had the showtimes wrong and we missed Sicario II at the dollar show.

Sicario II - It was alright. Not quite as engrossing as the first, which was intense.

Green Book - It was fine. Feel good movie on par with the Help, but a notch or two lower.

Ralph Breaks the Internet - Kind of got drug along to this one having not seen the first, and I guess that made this more pleasant in contrast.

Wreck It Ralph - I see why my friends liked this so much, and weren't as big on the sequel.

Into The Spider Verse - A pleasant surprise. Hard to argue with people saying it's the best Spider-Man movie. They nailed it.

Overlord - Regret not seeing this when it came out, a fun rump at the dollar show.

Bumblebee - It was solid. Think of a "a kid & their alien/ robot" movie from your childhood. They made one of those with a Transformer and ditched the Michael Bayisms mostly.

Venom - It was what it said it was. Another dollar show indulgence. Basically a "Fast & the Furious" type guilty pleasure for comic book fans.

Glass - Very polarizing with us. I was left cool to it, my friends hated it, and I see why. Some interesting think pieces about it on youtube.

The Upside - It was good. Another by the numbers feel-good, "you & I are different and will be better for it" movie.

Aqua Man - It was fine. Before seeing it I was calling it Wet Panther. After seeing it I'll call it Flush Gordon. Laughing

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

Funny enough I just watched the little mermaid for the first time
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

So to connect the stream of consciousness (remember that thread???) The character Mira in Aquaman looks pretty much like Ariel, and is played by Amber Heard, who was in the OG I Wasn't Prepared .

So maybe all the Orange Gold and Green and Aquatic References in songs and album titles were some uncanny way of predicting WB's unexpected good fortune in the then future/ now present?

Who am I kidding???

Saw Blackkklansman Monday. Not as good as people made it out to be, but the ending was strong enough that I see why it's gotten such high praise and critical admiration.

leighish
Vintage Newbie

The live action Cinderella that came out a few years ago. My daughter is in love.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Roma - Went in blind on what it was about, other than featuring subtitles. Cuaron is a visual storyteller of the highest caliber, and this story is ultimately pretty dark, but compelling and grounded in our reality as it was nearly 40 years ago as much as it remains now. It goes for realism and grave emotions through a unwavering filter that frames it all with beautiful cinematography. It's one of those situations where I question the intent of artistic honesty because in showing the worst aspects of humanity in their mundane context, as subjects of fascination, will always feel like a twist on empathy that borders on objectification by virtue of it being something captures and crafted.

A Star Is Born - I was biased negatively because I was aware of the ending, and it was a trigger point for me. As a movie it's alright. Best versions of this narrative, in my opinion are Grace of My Heart & Once.

Alita: Battle Angel - In the same vein as Bumblebee and Aquaman. Definitely feels like where Cameron the screen writer has been heading since Dark Angel & Avatar. Probably the best promotional campaign for the original Manga and Anime anyone could wish for.

<< prev | goto page