Laughing City
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I sure don't remember seeing this posted, and if searches for Submerg* and Sacramento don't turn it up, then this site needs better algorithms.

http://submergemag.com/featured/texas-tornado/113/

So here's another reference (the Portland radio interview) where Sherri mentions a hope of getting something recorded relatively soon. But the bigger reveal is her description of the sound of their new songs.

DuPree said the material she had been writing had been a lot more guitar heavy and believed that their next release would be, “a little more heavy—more rock” than the group’s previous efforts.

“It’s dorky, but I love playing loud guitar,” she said with a laugh. “‘Many Funerals’ [from Combinations] is one of my favorite songs to play because it’s one of our heaviest songs, so it’ll be fun having a few more [like that].”

However, she was quick to point out that the group wouldn’t be abandoning their softer side. “There will definitely be love songs too because that’s always how it’s going to be,” she said.

Let the overanalysis begin. Rolling Eyes But seriously, this is the first I've read about any possible direction they're taking so it had to be shared here. The very thought of this next generation of songs gets my senses tingling. Smile

pumamina
Golly, Poster

Yay!!!!
Rb
Sea Post King

yep i posted scans a little bit back right before the sacramento show i believe. either/or its good to bring it back up again, especially in better quality/easier to read.

edit: http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=34201&highlight=
Joined: 08 Jan 2008 | Posts: 464 | Location: San Francisco, CA
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

To be quite honest, I prefer the softer/lighter songs rather than their "heavier" stuff. But I guess it's good that they're switching up their style and playing a bit of everything.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

So soft songs = love songs?

Don't tell that to Sufjan.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Rb wrote:
yep i posted scans a little bit back right before the sacramento show i believe. either/or its good to bring it back up again, especially in better quality/easier to read.

edit: http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=34201&highlight=

I must've skipped your scans before for that reason, ha. There seem to be a few Sacramento people here and was surprised I couldn't find any mention of this - your title was too vague for me apparently! Wink

This was written a month before it went online, that makes it almost 3 months old now, so I'm taking an appropriately-sized grain of salt. Mindsets may have changed, but still a good read as you say. Sets the worms in the brain a-squiggling. Smile

Congratulations
Sea Post King

golly_sandra wrote:
To be quite honest, I prefer the softer/lighter songs rather than their "heavier" stuff. But I guess it's good that they're switching up their style and playing a bit of everything.

Yeah, the fact that they can do both effectively says a lot about their talent.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
gundamit
Golly, Poster

I was secretly hoping they would go more in the directions of all lutes all the time ....

How long will this guitar fad last? Rolling Eyes

Protocol Droid

Ha ha. That's lute-icrous! I'd prefer all banjos.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i just hope heavy and agressive don't equal pop punky stuff.

i think it would be interesting if they had some longer songs where sherri and chauntelle traded off some riffs a la Stephen Malkmus.

i've said this before, and i'll say it again;

a song that required the triple guitar attack of Sherri/Chauntelle/Stacy live..........now that would be sweet!

**disclaimer**
i sound like a jam band type of person, but i'm not.
i like Malkmus because it never gets "cock rocky" or whatever. it's not about 'shredding' or anything. it's always melodic and interesting.
and he still writes 3 minute pop ditties.

Caley
Lost at Forum

^I think she means songs that have the same tone as Many Funerals.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

gundamit wrote:
I was secretly hoping they would go more in the directions of all lutes all the time ....

How long will this guitar fad last? Rolling Eyes

Caravaggio? Love

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

bigideas wrote:
i just hope heavy and agressive don't equal pop punky stuff.

Me neither. I can't help but feel like they're trying really really hard to move away from their original influences (Radiohead, The Beatles, etc.) and sound more like bands such as Say Anything, New Found Glory, Brand New........ Confused Maybe even, dare I say it, Paramore. It's like their trying to fit in with a new crowd. I thought Boyd said they weren't going to be placing themselves in that category anymore. (In reference of who they're touring with.)

bigideas wrote:
a song that required the triple guitar attack of Sherri/Chauntelle/Stacy live..........now that would be sweet!

I have to admit, though, this would be pretty kickin'. Get that guy who's making Sherri and Chauntelle new guitars to make one for Stacy!!

gundamit
Golly, Poster

guitargirl wrote:
Caravaggio? Love
Apparently. I was just searching for a pic of a women with a lute. But according to Wikipedia ... its a guy ... a castrato? Tough way to make a living, even in the 16th century. Shocked
Laughing Citizen

gundamit wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
Caravaggio? Love
Apparently. I was just searching for a pic of a women with a lute. But according to Wikipedia ... its a guy ... a castrato? Tough way to make a living, even in the 16th century. Shocked

Caravaggio was an Italian artist, one of my favorites from studying art history. He liked to paint musicians, as you can see!
These two are my favorites of his.

and to be on topic...whatever Eisley does, I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. Smile

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
Last edited by guitargirl on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger