Laughing City

Did you become an Atheist after seeing "The Golden Compass"?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 29

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

ChickensForRent wrote:
However, I feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I will see the movie. It looks interesting to me. I just urge you that if you know people that don't want to see it (perhaps because 100,000 people on Facebook told them not to), to try to read into it (as many of you have done), and encourage them to do so as well. I think anyone that is making a stand about something should be educated on whatever it is they feel to stand for. That way if you or someone you know chooses not to see the movie, they have a reason behind it, other than "100,000 people on Facebook told me the movie was about killing God and so I'm not seeing it."

Amen!

kLafied wrote:
It also said "Note: Compass is too scary, and complicated, for kids under 10."

I mostly agree with that. I would not advise the parents of the four-year-old I babysit to take her to see the movie. There's one extremely shocking part, and several very creepy (if not scary) scenes that are likely to cause nightmares in younger kids. There was a guy in the audience where I saw it with a toddler; he left halfway through, but I think that was just because the kid lost interest. There was a lot to keep up with.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kevin87
Sea Post King

I saw it today.. overall, it was a pretty good movie. i'd have liked to have the actual book ending, not a lame movie "fly off into the sunset" type ending.. but i guess they did it this way to try and have more reason to adapt The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.. which so far neither are being made yet, they're supposedly waiting to see how much this one makes at the box office before they decide whether or not to make the other 2

THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS!!

I was disappointed at how the movie ended, or not ended. It had nothing to do with Asriel actually splitting between the two worlds and him and Lyra walking through it even though those scenes are shown in the trailers. Billy and Roger both are still alive, they died in the books, Roger's plays a big part in book 3. I didn't really catch much that was left out from that books other than most of the stuff dealing with the Gobblers and more storylines with the gyptians and her and Iorek going to see the 'ghost' and i vaguely remember something about Asriel bringing a skull to Jordan college at the beginning when he had his meeting about Dust.. and there's a part where they go see the witches and one of them asks Lyra to take a twig or something off a branch to see if she is the one in the prophecy.. also in the book, Lyra was captured by the Tartars and taken to Bulvangar (is that right..?), not to the armored bears, she also went to the bears AFTER rescuing the kids.
Last edited by Kevin87 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
norad
Vintage Newbie

Whoa, are we posting spoilers now?? ALERT PEOPLE. Confused
Kevin87
Sea Post King

sorry, typed it fast. thought i put a spoiler alert Confused

EDIT: i editted my post to add some more and moved all the spoilers to the last paragraph under the obvious spoilet warning. i'm sorry to anybody that happened to read it before
Last edited by Kevin87 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Kevin87 wrote:
Please note SPOILERS!! - Jamie

I saw it today.. I was disappointed at how the movie ended, or not ended. It had nothing to do with Asriel actually splitting between the two worlds and him and Lyra walking through it. Billy and Roger both are still alive, they died in the books. I didn't really catch much that was left out from that books other than most of the stuff dealing with the Gobblers and more storylines with the gyptians and her and Iorek going to see the 'ghost'. also in the book, Lyra was captured by the Tartars and taken to Bulvangar (is that right..?), not to the armored bears, she also went to the bears AFTER rescuing the kids.

overall, it was a pretty good movie. i'd have liked to have the actual book ending, not a lame movie "fly off into the sunset" type ending.. but i guess they did it this way to try and have more reason to adapt The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.. which isn't being made yet, they're supposedly waiting to see how much this one makes at the box office before they decide whether or not to make the other 2 Shocked

I felt the exact same way about everything you just said in that first paragraph! Everything was out of order, things were left out altogether, and after the ending I was just sitting with my open. I was very disappointed with how they chose to end it, the original ending would have been much better, I think.

Overall I enjoyed it though. I knew what was coming at the end of the Ice bear battle, and when it happened the whole audience in my theater gasped Very Happy It was a great scene, as well as the battle with the witches.

(This paragraph might be a bit of a spoiler as well, but has to do with the controversy of the movie.)
Anyway, after seeing the movie, I hate to say it..but it did seem rather anti-religion. Every time the magisterium was shown, my boyfriend and I couldn't help but giggle at how obviously it was supposed to represent the church and how evil they were making it seem. At one point Lyra asks Mrs. Coulter what the magisterium is for, and she says something along the lines of "It's for people who need help thinking, who aren't sure about things," etc.

But then you have to look at Narnia, an obviously pro-Christianity book and film, with the lion obviously representing Jesus (being killed in place of the children and then being reincarnated) etc, and just say, okay, here's one film that is pro-christianity, here's one that is anti. No one made a fuss over "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" so why should this one be removed from theatres just for providing a different view? Not everybody holds the same beliefs, so if you don't like the views one movie holds, don't see it, it's as simple as that. It really isn't fair to react any other way.

I personally don't care, I'm able to look past it the sneaky messages within both and enjoy an imaginative and well made movie.

EDIT: I just want to say one more thing...I was reading over comments people left on Yahoo! News over an article about the movie. I think that those who are against the movie are the one's who need to worry about the things that they say. All of the horrible things coming out of their mouths..or their keyboards, is what could potentially convert somebody to atheism. Their complete close-mindedness and lack of respect for others beliefs completely disgusted me thorougly.

I understand that the movie IS a movie and work of fiction, so I watch it as that. But to see people saying such horrible things in the REAL world is what can sway people's opinions about religion.

Last edited by kLafied on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

By the way, if I ever get a new pet, I'm naming him Daemon and he is going to be my Daemon Very Happy I'm not a nerd.

Although...Daemon is also a negative thing.

"from the Judeo-Christian usage demon, a malignant spirit that can seduce, afflict, or possess humans. This notion of the daemon as a spiritual being of a lowly order that is largely evil and certainly dangerous..."

I cannot win!

Okay, not that I really care, but could someone please write a fantasy book that has NOTHING to do with religion so that I can enjoy it without having to worry about weird messages and people freaking out about it Crying or Very sad

Kevin87
Sea Post King

i'd always pronounced it like "day-mon" when reading the books.. in the 2nd one when she meets somebody from our world (trying to not give names and such), he says something along the lines of "in our world, demons aren't good things" or something along those lines.. but even after i read that, i still read it like it's spelled. lol
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Kevin87 wrote:
i'd always pronounced it like "day-mon" when reading the books.. in the 2nd one when she meets somebody from our world (trying to not give names and such), he says something along the lines of "in our world, demons aren't good things" or something along those lines.. but even after i read that, i still read it like it's spelled. lol

I read it as day-mon also. I just looked up the word "daemon" on google and found that little snippet up there.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
No one made a fuss over "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe"

a ton of people made a fuss about LWW. the debate about TGC is exactly the same as the one that went on for LWW except its on the opposite side now

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I honestly didn't interpret the Magisterium in the film as being a clear stand-in for the church. But that's probably because I'm so staunchly against that interpretation. Yay for bias! Laughing

I agree about the ending--even for someone who had never read the books, it was way too abrupt. And there were all kinds of clips floating around for scenes that they'd already filmed which will presumably end up in The Subtle Knife. I wouldn't worry too much about whether the sequel will get made; they're making all the Narnia movies, and God only knows this is way better (though how Lion got 73% on Rotten Tomatoes and Compass only got 43% is beyond me).

I'm betting the use of "daemon" with a positive connotation was intentional on Pullman's part. I know it does have other, more benign definitions; a friend of mine used it in a fantasy story she wrote, though I don't remember the exact context.

And I bet there are going to be a lot of new pets over the next couple of years named Daemon, or Pantalaimon, or Stelmaria. If I were just now getting my black lab, I'd name her Iorek instead of Isobel (and get her some sweet armor). Every time we come home she greets us with a bearlike wrestling match. Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Last edited by Saellys on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Oh, I almost forgot, I picked up the novel tonight as a Hanukkah present for my fiancé, which of course means I'm reading it myself. It's way better than I remember it being.

mr pine wrote:
kLafied wrote:

a ton of people made a fuss about LWW. the debate about TGC is exactly the same as the one that went on for LWW except its on the opposite side now

Links, please. I guess since most of my friends are Christians or otherwise not atheists, I missed out on that whole fuss.

Smokemonster
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot, I picked up the novel tonight as a Hanukkah present for my fiancé, which of course means I'm reading it myself. It's way better than I remember it being.

mr pine wrote:
kLafied wrote:

Links, please. I guess since most of my friends are Christians or otherwise not atheists, I missed out on that whole fuss.

I definitely do not remember that. And if that is true, I would still feel the same way, it would just apply to both sides. Everyone should let everyone believe what they want and leave everybody else alone.

Kevin87
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
And I bet there are going to be a lot of new pets over the next couple of years named Daemon, or Pantalaimon, or Stelmaria. If I were just now getting my black lab, I'd name her Iorek instead of Isobel (and get her some sweet armor). Every time we come home she greets us with a bearlike wrestling match. Very Happy

especially with Christmas, all those kids getting kittens and puppies. lol.

when Pantalaimon would turn into a cat, it reminded me of my cat we got about 6 years ago. she always follows me everywhere I go in the house.. doesn't really like other people touching her except me.. sits on the arm of the couch when i'm in there. lol.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Kevin87 wrote:
Saellys wrote:

especially with Christmas, all those kids getting kittens and puppies. lol.

when Pantalaimon would turn into a cat, it reminded me of my cat we got about 6 years ago. she always follows me everywhere I go in the house.. doesn't really like other people touching her except me.. sits on the arm of the couch when i'm in there. lol.

Forget that. I'm getting a bear.

But not really.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I've decided I'm going to read at least the first book, and from there I'll base my opinion, and not what I've heard and read in various places. Then I can either go on saying it's terrible, or it's great, based on what I actually know for myself.

I wish people wouldn't compare His Dark Materials, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lord of the Rings, etc. I know it's inevitable, but it's still quite irritating.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>