Laughing City
dpwrchick
Sea Post King

yeah, i don't remember what song, but Matt has the ep and played it last week. We have been having some problems in broadcasting from the new studio.. but i'm sure we'll start playing the ep... not like Spin is any big deal, but we do love and fully support our Eisley!!!!
Smile

ptah
Sea Post King

yeah, last weekend Josh played the "Laughing City" version of Telescope Eyes on the Adventure Club (on The Edge, 102.1FM - here in Dallas). That was cool to hear. Have to tune in tonight (Sunday) and see if he plays anymore. His show is on from 7-10pm CST (I think) Sunday nights. Always playing good stuff from local bands as well as little heard national and international stuff. I'm sure you out-of-towners can listen on the internet. I think their address is KDGE.com, but I'm not sure.

P.

www.myspace.com/ptah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sara
Sea Post King

We (Spin 180/ MungleShow) played I Wasn't Prepared last Sunday.

--Sara
Teh shane-0
Golly, Poster

I am in the houston area, and I would die to have eisley on the radio. Hmm is that all I really have to do is keep calling them? Will they care if I call, I am one guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kingspin
Really Dizzy Admin

Might I also suggest calling the Program Director directly and appealing to his is sense of Radio... "the idea of breaking a band" "the magic of radio" send him to this web site to see the devoted fans and how the stations listeners will benefit and the fan base diversity...just enough with $$ to spend with their advertisers.

The major problem for most stations is that they get their playlists from a corporate office. It is very difficult for them to add songs not on their "scientifically " prepared lists. Generally when you make a request the song is already on their rotation and occasionally stations will allow DJ's to customize the show slightly but generally...it is iffy.

I was a pro DJ at 14 and was the PD of my college radio station... we had total flexibility (except for legal guidelines for non-profit radio) to play whatever we wanted (within our format). I had my own show for breaking newer bands (like Xymox). Got out of radio in college...very bad environment... most DJ's I knew were egotistical nuts, pot-heads and it paid terrible.

I also had a record out of my own and managed to weasel in to several radio stations for airplay. In many cases it took sitting in the radio station's lobby waiting for the GM or PD to come out and talk to us so that we could present our case. It worked. After getting on 1 station the 3 other competing stations picked us up and we used that as leverage to get other stations to play us in other markets... got one in NY state and even in Germany. That was late 1980's though... it's tougher now with the consolidation of corporate radio.

We got on a call in vote show... our song against a big artist (we went up against Duran Duran and other big names) they rarely/never let local bands in but we did and the local advantage paid off... we had everyone we knew and their Grandmothers calling in.... the station said that because of that they had their highest listenership in years... they liked that and so they added us into heavy rotation... this idea applies to Eisley too. Inundation works well.

Oh, the other deal with radio stations is the whole payola thing... they like free stuff like CD's to give away and t-shirts. It's ok as long as they give the stuff away to listeners.

I have thought about heading to down town Salt Lake and hitting up stations. I might buy 5 or 6 EP's and bring them with me but don't want to seem too official.

Let me also add that I have been a music fan since forever and I NEVER get to the point where I get on their message boards or anything... especially since I have my own band. Eisley is unique and it has something great in it that makes me want to help and be involved.
Joined: 28 May 2003 | Posts: 271 | Location: The Hills of Bountiful
Teh shane-0
Golly, Poster

How do I get ahold of a program director? That sounds like a difficult task.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kingspin
Really Dizzy Admin

Program Directors can be hard to nail down and you are likely to get the runaround if you call and ask to speak to the program director. You should be able to call a stations business line (not the DJ line) and ask who is in charge of programming they should give you a name and you can also stop by and the person at the front desk should tell you as well.

You just have to remember that you are talking to a "professional" and someone who thinks they have a lot of power and are an executive in their line of work.. don’t sound like a crazed fan. There is a clear sales tactic when getting them to commit.

First, build a relationship of trust by telling them you really like their station and you and your friends listen to it frequently (it would good to visit their website and get familiar with the DJ's and format they play). Once you feel comfortable quickly get to the point... make your request as an appeal to their sense of responsibility... "Radio still has a power to break new bands to have an edge, that's one of the reasons you guys are cool.. you seem to play more of the really good stuff but and with better personality(dont get too cheesy)... I have to telll you...Eisley, my favorite new band, is skyrocketing in popularity.. they went from a local band to opening for Coldplay and signed to a major label practically overnight. I would really like you to play this band and add them to your rotation."

You are not affiliated with the band so whatever you say will be somewhat legit coming from a listener who has money to spend with the stations advertisers. (also a good idea to familiarize youself with a few spots they are running) If you can get them to agree to play a song even once or twice get them to let you know when it will air and get your friends to call in to the station to find out more... who the artist is...etc.

It has been years since there was excitement for music like there was in the mid 1980’s and I see a revolution again mounting toward loyal fans of innovative and smart music like Eisley.

The Program Directors job is to manage a play list of artists that target their prime demographic… they go so far as to estimate what time of the hour of the day you are most likely to listen and then they put their “A” list tracks in that slot. They need feedback from listeners. It is crucial to their bottom line.

Eisley’s management also will likely have access to all info on all radio stations… it would be great to get that leaked out. You can also get books with that info in it at places like Barnes and Noble and such (pretty sure). I could go on and on about it and at this point I am rambling like a mad man.

I will try it myself as soon as I can and let you know.
Teh shane-0
Golly, Poster

I could talk to my dad, he is a DJ and former PD so I could probibly email him and get some info.
kingspin
Really Dizzy Admin

That's a great idea. His insight will likely be invaluable to getting to the core of what to do. As mentioned before.. these days play lists are sometimes bought by stations from companies who specialize in parsing out the demographics and molding the data into a list or they are programmed in another city by the corporate offices of the station (think ClearChannel radio corp)

Another avenue to consider is the alternate broadcasting sources like XM, Sirius, Muzak, DishNetwork, DirecTV who all offer national customized digital radio and who do programming for stores, businesses and broadcast.

I just emailed Muzak to get more info from them because they present a opportunity that could be good.

Digital Radio generally provides Artist, Track and Album info that consumers can remember or have time to write down. I heard Ash for the first time a couple of years ago on one of these stations and have hear them several times since but never on local radio.

There is an advantage too to this becuase as a collective we can pool our resources together from across the nation into one source rather than divded across multiple stations and locations.
Jodi

The Edge has been playing Eisley on the Adventure Club for awhile now. They played Telescope Eyes and Over the Mountains We Go from EP2. Yesterday around 1 pm they played Telescope Eyes from Laughing City. It was the first time that I know of that they have been played during the day. I was exicted. Woo Hoo!
 |  | 
brad
Sea Post King

best bets for austin radio:

sunday nights on 101.5. they devote four hours, 6-10, to new and local music. perfect opportunity because the rest of the time they play that atrocious nu-metal with all the barking. c'mon, disturbed, it's called a melody.

107.1 KGSR. another good shot. nationally known radio station into supporting local artists.

94.7. one of those adult stations playing all sorts of -mix- music complete with retro hours. lots of coldplay. they would definitely get the music.

also, while i'm on the topic of austin: in september our little town in hosting the austin city limits festival at zilker park with rem, beth orton, turin brakes, spoon, ed harcourt, beta band, ben kweller, and tons other. has eisley been contacted about appearing? if not, they should be. they would be a perfect fit for the festival, especially given that they're from texas. how about it?
sc0tt
Golly, Poster

Eisley should play the acl festival. Midlake will be there. I will be there.

The edge seems to play better music late at night when not as many people are listening (like 2 or 3) I think its cool that eisley gets played, even though since my antenna fell off I dont get to listen to the radio much. I don't miss it though. Its still mostly punk pop and grunge pop stuff. (cept for coldplay and eisley and the occasional u2 song.)

Does anyone know if they are played on 88.7 ktcu? I know they play local and indie stuff sometimes.

vanityfair2

hey all. yeah, i have heard eisley a few times on the adventure club. but never on the actual radio programming. to read more about the adventure club go to www.kdge.com. josh is actually a very nice guy, and loves some awesome music. i have known him for about a year, and we constantly have debates over which band is cooler and yada yada. He has asked me a couple of times for eisley's ep1, but everytime i see him, i forget?

well, he has lots of good things to say about eisley, how every band in dallas is jealous of their instant fame, and one week they are playing in dallas, and the next with coldplay. its all pretty amazing. congratulations. but you also have to look at the type of music that eisley is. not exactly coldplay. i mean, look at how much bands like bjork, and grandaddy and the doves and such get played on the radio. not everyone gets played on the radio. not very many at all. this is what josh thinks and this is what i think. i hate the radio most of the time. eisley is cool. maybe not cookie cutter radio music. it is one of those bands that you want to meet the people and they give good live shows. i think you guys are great. good luck guys.

bananasarebad@hotmail.com
 |  | 
kingspin
Really Dizzy Admin

should try to get other avenues like digital broadcasts or even licensce. I could hear a version of "Tree Tops" used in a car commercial or even Pharma stuff... nothing cheesy though.
Teh shane-0
Golly, Poster

I just got an email from teh Program Director for the BUZZ. Umm apparently he says that if he keeps getting emails like the one I sent him, that he will see what he can do to slip some Eisley into the mix. Apparently other people have been emailing him too. YAY