Laughing City

Should I get a Mac?
Yeah!
64%
 64%  [ 24 ]
A what?
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Sure, the world wide web is great...But you make me salivate...
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 37

phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

For your purposes, I would definitely recommend a Mac. Worth every penny.

jdstories wrote:
It might be your software.

JD

I think so too... it's called "Windows." Rolling Eyes
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

phoenixdown wrote:
For your purposes, I would definitely recommend a Mac. Worth every penny.

jdstories wrote:
It might be your software.

JD

I think so too... it's called "Windows." Rolling Eyes

Haha. That made me laugh. I too am getting a Mac. A Powerbook to be exact. Once I have the money that is...

robbie
Vintage Newbie

I stopped reading the posts half way down the page. I'll just make my comment and everybody can throw out their "nuh uh" comments. Macs are NOT better at audio/video than PCs. PCs are NOT better at audio/video than Macs. These are just computers, when did brand loyalty become a virtue? You can make the same music on a PC or a Mac, it won't sound different, it doesn't take longer, you don't get more errors on either one, one doesn't work more smoothly than the other (it's about how you have it setup anyway), one isn't easier to use than the other. If you still believe that audio and video are handled better on Macs then you're just buying into years of mac elitism. That might have been the case a long time ago, but it hasn't been for years. A properly set up PC is just like a properly set up Mac. Period. Thank you.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
yoetheterrible
Sea Post King

robbie
Vintage Newbie

yoetheterrible wrote:

adorable kitty *makes purring sound* who's a good baby boy, yous a good baby boy, yes you are... *dies of baby talk*
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

Yesss, I love when posts go to the dark side! Poor kitty.

P.s. Thanks you guys for the mac help, etc. I think my digi-collage speaks for itself... I've made my decision.

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

You are smitten. The eMacs at the office tell me they have a sibling with the hots for you. Shocked

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

well, If you can't tell from the photo, Me and Mr. Goldblum had a golden love child together in the form of a machine. We named it Apple.

Coincidentally, WE were the first to name our child after a fruit. But everyone shuns the child on the playground with a glass face and a metal brain.

You'll have to tell your equally as smitten macs to back their digichips up. Cool This woman has a Macblum...

muahaha

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Are you sure its last name isn't Antichrist or something? Razz

Just kidding! Look, I can use tiny type, too. Ha! Take that!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

heh heh heh.............................................

boone
Vintage Newbie

Macs and PCs are pretty much equal nowadays. Apple has a currently thriving gaming community and Windows is getting stronger when it comes to creative endevors.

I am, however, increasingly interested in OSX. It seems to be a stronger operating system than Windows, more progressive. The software that Apple is working on itself is very good. And since Apple uses proprietary hardware, they can make machines that work more cohesively than PCs, though less flexible. I still have a 20" iMac on my wishlist.

Most music studios use Windows machines for GigaStudio and...that's about it.

brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

robbie wrote:
I stopped reading the posts half way down the page. I'll just make my comment and everybody can throw out their "nuh uh" comments. Macs are NOT better at audio/video than PCs. PCs are NOT better at audio/video than Macs. These are just computers, when did brand loyalty become a virtue? You can make the same music on a PC or a Mac, it won't sound different, it doesn't take longer, you don't get more errors on either one, one doesn't work more smoothly than the other (it's about how you have it setup anyway), one isn't easier to use than the other. If you still believe that audio and video are handled better on Macs then you're just buying into years of mac elitism. That might have been the case a long time ago, but it hasn't been for years. A properly set up PC is just like a properly set up Mac. Period. Thank you.

The difference between Mac vs. PC:
Minimizing an application on Windows: It just minimizes
Minimizing an application on Mac OSX: It fades away, with fancy hardware accelerated graphics, making a poof, doing a jiggle, and then fading away... that and a Dolby Digital 5.1 quality beep sound.

----

No, but seriously... OSX has things to help you use your desktop more efficiently (things that will come in the next version of Windows). Spotlight is my favorite.

But price/performance is dominated by the PC world. Mac's are expensive for the performance they offer. For the price of a top of the line Mac, you can get yourself a top of the line PC, and still have enough to buy a ticket to every show on Eisley's next 4 tours.
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 | Posts: 472 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

The performance thing isn't a game of pure numbers, though.

brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
The performance thing isn't a game of pure numbers, though.

For real-world situations, most of the time its not...
Most would not care whether a Photoshop filter applied on a 3000 x 3000px image took 4.9 sec or 5.4 sec.

But little minute things, such as app loading times (I mean, you WILL notice the difference between a computer that loads most of its app in unde a sec vs. one that loads it in 2).

Also, for larger scale things (video compression, 3d rendering), that's when performance differences start to matter even more.

But Apple even has "time-saving" features, like Spotlight... Results pop up in real-time, and you don't wait for 2 minutes waiting for the search program to comb through every directory on your computer.
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 | Posts: 472 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I think it's entirely personal preference. I mean, if you're getting any computer with 1GHz+ processing speed, 40GB+ hard drive, 512MB+ memory, and a decent video and sound card, it'll be good enough for most people in most situations; PC, Mac, whatever. Technology in general is so fast these days that it numbers don't honestly make much difference anymore. The few seconds' difference between a 1GHz Mac and a 3GHz Windows machine (again, when doing normal things) isn't anything like the 10+ second difference between a new computer and one made five years ago. It's not really a matter of wasting time anymore, but just of whether you've easily annoyed.

[/opinion]