Laughing City
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

seem to be?

WE'RE GETTING NONE! pah!

I Have mega-huge respect for Thomas Truax.
First time I went to see him, I was joined by about 5 others.
There were even less when I saw him next (as a support). There were two others who knew who he was.
the next time. there was about 70.

When did I see him? Early 2006, June 2006, and then September 26th 2006.
He came back three times in one year. Respect 'cause he wasn't put off by the tiny crowds the first two times.

Why don't more acts do that?

/ rambling thoughts.

If i had the money/time i totally would come down to London.
Unless I just built it into a holiday for me and some buds.
*puts thinking cap on*

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Catey
Lost at Forum

It costs a lot of money for bands to come from wherever and do stuff, well it costs tha label and it has to be worthwhile so if it isn't worth the labels money I would assume they won't do it.

While Thomas Truax is located in London or NYC, its probably easier for him to do more UK stuff.

I wish bands like Lifehouse would come here. They haven't been to London/UK since the release of their second album back in 2002 or 2003. I am desperate to see them!
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Exactly. But surely it costs an indie label from the states alot more money than it would for an indie UK label?

There are a fair few UK bands I can think of who've been once. The Heights for instance. If there was a dog there, it would've been two men and a dog. literally. They haven't been back. Sad Why does it put off UK bands but not US bands? Confused

TheClassicRomance wrote:

blog!
Catey
Lost at Forum

I would assume that yes, it does cost a US indie label more than a UK one but who knows!

I have no theory on why UK bands dont go back up North if the crowd is small, but that I think depends on where they come from. I know bands and know of bands from the Southern area and they do quite well playing the small clubs around and filling out but I don't think they'd fare to well up North if they aren't known or have a slight following...but the wonders MySpace can do now. I'm sure its likewise for bands up North who come to the South and don't do well...they probably dont come back.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

hmmm...

But surely it's easier for a london band to break scotland than a scottish band to break london? there are sooo many clubs etc and so much going on. I can think of at least one band who went back to london after playing to about 4 people last year... Confused

Edinburgh is a village. Crowds can gather incredibly quickly (or one would assume). I dunno.
it's wierd. But the american coming back/ brit not coming back has puzzled me for a wee while.

TheClassicRomance wrote:

blog!
Catey
Lost at Forum

I don't really get the problem that you seem to have due to the fact that I goto London for the gigs and most bands play it.

But saying that, when NFG were over for Give It A Name they did two shows in...somewhere in England. I think Birmingham and maybe Glasgow [not sure] and no London which was sad as I'd of liked to see them by themselves.

So London doesn't get everything! Some bands have skipped it before.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

hhmnh.

I'm more talking about what seems to be the staple diet tour for US bands who can play medium sized venues - corn exchanges, ABC1, Barrolands etcc: London, Newcastle, and Glasgow. no edinburgh.

UK bands tend to do Edinburgh more... but not often. Embrace did Glasgow/Edinburgh/Dundee and i think possibly Aberdeen when I saw 'em (we went for the support)... but that was a specifically scottish tour.

Fair doos, you do get some pop stars "doing britain" by playing about three gigs by piffling about somewhere in the south of england. Rolling Eyes

TheClassicRomance wrote:

blog!
juan
Lost at Forum

hang on, embrace played dundee? Is that a place in Scotland? I thought Scotland had Glasgow, Edinburgh and the firth of Forth with everything north of that consisting of mountains, goats and sheep? I must be wrong! Laughing

anyway - off topic

on topic - get eisley up north (not including the sold out Leeds festival) unless Boyd throws a rope ladder over the fence to get us in the festival!

- Charles Darwin (legend)
Joined: 04 Apr 2003 | Posts: 1296 | Location: Gateshead - good ol' blighty, up north
Catey
Lost at Forum

Theres more going on sale for it in June/July.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Catey wrote:
Theres more going on sale for it in June/July.

for Reading/Leeds?

*slobbers*

wherewhenhowmuch and why apart from Eisley and maybe Pete and the Pirates. I have a vague connection to that band... Laughing

TheClassicRomance wrote:

blog!
Catey
Lost at Forum

Yeah, they'd be sold through the Reading/Leeds site obviously! Weekend tickets are £145..and I can't remember what a day is.

I wanted to go before Eisley were annoucned but now it puts more fuel to the fire to go.
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

I love the beauty this thread provides whenst reading it in random various U.K. accents and providing wild hand gestures for all the posters.
juan
Lost at Forum

its 62.50 for a day ticket - way too expensive for me. even though the shins are playing too, think its a bit much to pay and you can double that cost really cos I wouldn't be going alone. hmm. think I'll be waiting to see what other gigs they announce. Maybe boyd will shed some light and we can get some tickets booked up.

- Charles Darwin (legend)
Joined: 04 Apr 2003 | Posts: 1296 | Location: Gateshead - good ol' blighty, up north
Grantticus
Golly, Poster

For the love of all things good,

please come play T in the Park!!!

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Grantticus wrote:

Grantticus wrote:

Grantticus wrote:

Grantticus wrote:

I could do that tons more times. but for the realisation that that would be silly. darn that clarity of thought thing!

Indian Summer, too!

I mean, 'come on.

MIDLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
FLAMING LIIIIIIPS!
I'M FROM BARCELONA!
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! and my cousin Mary

TheClassicRomance wrote:

blog!