Laughing City
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

No, I like the songs and stuff, but they just make me very sad.

Take Marvelous Things, for instance. Sure, its got some surreal lyrics and stuff, It seems to me, its about death and satan. The morning light, aka lucifer (light bearer). "keep us here safely" = trapped in hell for eternity. I'm kinda getting a Paradise Lost feel from it. The last verse is about the last minutes on earth before dying.

Memories also makes me kinda weepy too. Plenty of Paper gets a apocalyptic feel, too.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

.......wow.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
norad
Vintage Newbie

leighish wrote:
.......wow.

Yeah....
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

I always thought a lot of Eisley's music had a bit of a darker feel to it, even if the messages were overall positive. In fact, it's one of the things that turned me on to the band.

A song like "Combinations", which speaks of the beauty of love, is certainly happy in its lyrical content. But the music is much more somber. These two things can certainly coexist as they do in this song. And I think they work well.

The music of the song "Combinations" kind of reminds me of the music on Automatic for the People by REM, and that album definitely deals with sad themes. In contrast, I wouldn't call Combinations depressing. I wouldn't call it happy either... even though it might be. I'm not sure what I'd call it.

Anyway, I think I get what you're saying and agree to some extent.

As for Room Noises, I don't think it's quite as dark musically, but it does have a similar quality at times.

(By the way, I submitted before reading your take on Marvelous Things. I don't know if I'd go quite that route.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Hell, Death and Satan. I guess the "Who Is Stacy Talking to on the Phone Debate" is now settled.
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

I thought maybe the hell and satan and all that was maybe stemming from my roots in \m/ heavy metal \m/, but, no. I kinda strayed away from my metal origins, as you will and have gotten into more "happy" music like some techno, drum&bass and dance/rave music. I was happy listening to that,and when I listened first to Combinations on their myspace, I was all groovin out-"oooh! I like this stuff, this is a change to a new me, its a bit on the happy side" When I bought it, had the physical copy read the lyrics, listened to the harmonizations, and flow of things, I found it to be depressing, and then I got Room Noises and that was depressing also.

I'm normally a happy person, but Eisley hit me hard, where it hurts. I mean, the CD made me cry and think about my life and think about death for God's sake. I've never ever had any CD I own (probably because its mostly metal) do that to me. I mean, I don't know what happened when I heard combinations. Normally I would of past thm as as well, "some crappy pop-indie" band", But for some reason, must of been fate. I clicked on it and I listened to it, and I bought the album and now I'm sad.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

I agree. There's something there that you don't hear everyday. It's raw and true. It hits deeper than most music. That said, I still don't get depressed listening to their music.
thebrightestfirefly
Lost at Forum

oliez wrote:
Hell, Death and Satan. I guess the "Who Is Stacy Talking to on the Phone Debate" is now settled.

well duh. how else do you think she stays so smokin'

Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

My Blackened Crown don't be sad. Everyone encounters moments to reflect on their life and exsistance.
This could be a good thing, and soon you will find these songs bringing joy to you.
Music affects me that way many times. I can be singing a song over and over, and all of a sudden, wham out of nowhere, I'm
choking back tears.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

My Blackened Crown wrote:
No, I like the songs and stuff, but they just make me very sad.

Take Marvelous Things, for instance. Sure, its got some surreal lyrics and stuff, It seems to me, its about death and satan. The morning light, aka lucifer (light bearer). "keep us here safely" = trapped in hell for eternity. I'm kinda getting a Paradise Lost feel from it. The last verse is about the last minutes on earth before dying.

Memories also makes me kinda weepy too. Plenty of Paper gets a apocalyptic feel, too.

I'm getting way off topic here...but...I don't think of Satan when I hear the words "light bearer" or "morning light." I did some reading and apparently (but I'm not sure!) the name Lucifer usually refers to Satan before he was cast from heaven, when he would have been considered a son of the morning. Some places say that the name is Lucifer is mistranslated from Latin. I have to ask, would the father of lies, Satan, really be a source of light? but if that interpretation of the song floats your boat, go for it! Wink Once one starts getting into interpretations of scripture people start going berserk, and that's not what I want, so nobody freak out at me! Smile

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
Last edited by guitargirl on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kit
Sea Post King

My Blackened Crown wrote:
I just can't see it. To me, its not 'happy' music. I can't see any rainbows and butterflies and puppies made out of candy dipped in chocolate fudge.

Both albums are probably the most depressing, sad albums I've heard in my life.

You need to get out more. Smile ...nay....you need to hear a Smiths album or a Radiohead album...or maybe Red House Painters or Elliott Smith. Those are generally "sad" artists.
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

leighish wrote:
it's because combinations hits home

Gaaasssp ME TOO. SO MUCH.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

I think they make me feel a combination of things (no pun intended, lol). In all their music.
I think it's beauty + tragedy a lot of times, and other times it's just plain happy... like "Come Clean" puts me in such a good mood.

ACTUALLY you bring up an interesting point. I just remembered that in the Death Cab vid, Ben talks about how he had such a normal, stable, happy childhood - nothing that happened to spark any of the sad songs that they write.
SO maybe it's like.. a psychological thing. People who have had seemingly normal lives end up writing sort of tragic music... and vice versa?
liketheact0rs
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
liketheact0rs wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
No band has ever made me happier than Eisley. and no band has made me cry more than Eisley. and now I don't know what else to say. Laughing

i second that. eisley's just.. just.. just. you know? eisley IS. and.. well whatever, i can't even explain. their music is also "just... just......-- i can't explain."

Gurl (gurl?) you silly. Smile

heh i know
i guess i need new vocabulary or like.. more "word of the day"s

anyway,
eisley music is what you make of it. i guess you can interpret it anyway you feel.. i think that's the magic of it! and by the end of the day, eisley still prevails and makes your day (whatever it may be--sad, happy, kick-your-heels-in-the-air, or suck-the-happiness-out-of-you). they still move you.

vintage_person
Sea Post King

I don't think there intentions are to write depressing songs. They are for the most part, uplifting but I do feel a sense of sadness underneath it all. I think like others have said, it really depends on the type of person you are and how you interpret the songs and music. I wouldn't view Marvelous Things the way you do, but it does feel kind of sad to me. To me, it seems like she's lost in a nightmare or dream-like state, but the chorus lyrics are a sign of hope & wish for an escape from all that. Because I was having visually disturbing nightmares of my own during that time, I was able to connect with the song and interpret it that way. But for you, it could mean something else entirely.

While I don't think they are particularly dark albums, I do feel some dark moods and sadness while I listening to them but I blame that on the type of person I am. I can listen to these songs and see how other people could view only a happy & uplifting perspective listening to them.

Although Dream For Me is a pretty dark song, plain & simple. Smile

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>