Laughing City
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
If depression is hereditary then how can it be prevented? It just sort of happens....

First of all, depression isn't solely a hereditary thing. Secondly, they're not trying to prevent it, just trying to raise awareness about it so that teens know it's not something they feel they've got to deal with on their own. It's like a big public service announcement with really hip and scene bands.

do not be afraid is pretty much right, though. As an organization they don't really do much; certainly not nearly as much as you'd think they'd be accomplishing with all the exposure they've been receiving lately. Then again, doing "not much" is loads better than nothing at all. I've heard their founder Jamie [crazylastname] speak at a few shows before and the whole idea of it (and story behind the organization) is really pretty great. They've all got their hearts in the right places, but unfortunately their message has been overshadowed by the fad. Confused

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
If they are trying to do good, then good.

Quoted for truth

Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
If depression is hereditary then how can it be prevented? It just sort of happens....

First of all, depression isn't solely a hereditary thing.

Well duh. I said "If depression is..." meaning in the case that it is hereditary.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:

Well duh. I said "If depression is..." meaning in the case that it is hereditary.

Hereditary or not I would argue that depression can't be prevented at all. It's something that happens, and when it's unfortunate enough that it does people need to know how they can manage it and work towards making themselves well.

Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:

Hereditary or not I would argue that depression can't be prevented at all. It's something that happens, and when it's unfortunate enough that it does people need to know how they can manage it and work towards making themselves well.

That...had nothing to do with my response...at least I don't think it does. Laughing I'm notthinking very hard tonight...oyyy Laughing
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:

That...had nothing to do with my response...at least I don't think it does. Laughing I'm notthinking very hard tonight...oyyy Laughing

Since your first statement could be taken in one of two ways, I decided to re-address it once you clarified which way you intended it.

Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:

Since your first statement could be taken in one of two ways, I decided to re-address it once you clarified which way you intended it.

ooooooooh. that makes sense then. don't mind me...
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:

Haha it's nearly 2AM, I don't think I can mind anything right now Laughing
And every time I see your icon it makes me wonder if you've ever seen the BBC's version of Robin Hood.

Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:

And every time I see your icon it makes me wonder if you've ever seen the BBC's version of Robin Hood.

Surprised But that's not the Robin Hood dude (although he is good looking like the one in my icon)! It's a still of Joe Anderson saying "odd" from the fabulous movie Control. Laughing
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
patrock wrote:

Surprised But that's not the Robin Hood dude (although he is good looking like the one in my icon)! It's a still of Joe Anderson saying "odd" from the fabulous movie Control. Laughing

Haha I know it's not him, but the face he was making reminds me of him every time I see it. Makes me laugh Laughing Good show, too. Pretty boys.

Golly, Poster

Actually, not necessarily defending everything about TWLOHA, but they mention that they have a small part-time staff to help respond to requests for help and to encourage those that are hurting. That is something - not nothing. I know one time when I had some issues going on just someone contacting me from an organization and responding made a world of difference. The other thing is that they are starting to focus on street teams to help beyond just promoting TWLOHA.

I think as a newer and quickly expanding organization, it takes a bit of time for things to branch out to where they are doing things you might consider "more helpful." Where it goes from here on out still remains to be seen.

So far, I have the tee, and I support efforts to make others aware.

--Melanie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I have pretty much the same view of TWLOHA as do not be afraid. But then again, I don't like fashionable causes that much as a whole. I roll my eyes every time I see or hear something about Darfur. The reason is that it's a big world with a lot of problems and I hate it when 'celebrities' point a spotlight on a relatively small part of suffering and say, "Care, or you're heartless!" How about people do some research and find something that they care about, instead of relying on other people to find something for them.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I am a huge TWLOHA supporter as you can see by my signature. If anyone wants to know more than follow the link. Read the stories, buy a t shirt.

It's a good organization that wants to make a change. That wants to make peoples lives happy. How can anyone disagree with that?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
I am a huge TWLOHA supporter as you can see by my signature. If anyone wants to know more than follow the link. Read the stories, buy a t shirt.

It's a good organization that wants to make a change. That wants to make peoples lives happy. How can anyone disagree with that?

Be Ayn Rand. Wink

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
i think they're trying to prevent things like addiction, suicide, etc, that stem from depression, not depression itself, but, again, all they really do (even according to their website!) is sell t-shirts, manage a MySpace account, court semi-famous bands to “support” their cause, and donate a very small portion of their donations to other charities (who will likely use an equally small portion of those donations to actually do anything!) to be honest, the more i think about it the more exploited i feel by it! i'm someone who suffers from this, and these people are saying they're here to “help” me, but they don't actually do anything to help, except sell $#@! t-shirts! what a bunch of assholes! just thinking about these losers has made me more depressed than i've been since, well, since i was last suicidal! isn't that wonderful?

oh, and i knew of them before, i just didn't get worked up enough about them until right now to really rant on them (although i came close a few times before when they were mentioned here.)

edit: but, i guess you're right: everyone deals in different ways, and, if this group does anything to help anyone i guess it's a good thing, but, still… i think there are much better charities to spend your money on if you're serious about helping people (probably including the charities they donate their donations to, which would be a much more direct and effective way of doing the exact same good! although, it probably won't come with a stylish t-shirt…)

edit 2: and, here's the only specific mention on their official site of any charity work i could find:

twloha.com wrote:
Q: Where does the money go?
A: TWLOHA gives 25% of all proceeds directly to treatment and recovery through the organizations listed below. Beyond that, we believe that all the work we do is important, not just donating to treatment and recovery. We have a small staff, and that includes part-time help who respond to MySpace messages and emails everyday. That's the heart of what we do. That's the most important piece, that interaction and being in a place to encourage people who are hurting. In so many cases, those are folks talking about these issues, sharing their struggles, asking for help, for the very first time. It's a privilege that we get to respond to those messages. We get opportunities to speak and be a part of different concerts, tours, events, etc. Warped Tour was obviously a huge example this summer, and we're already looking forward to next summer, so our team works to make those things happen. We're starting to focus more on our street team and ways we can equip people. We don't just want to equip them to promote TWLOHA.
We want to educate and encourage people so that they understand these issues, so they can walk with friends who are dealing with these things.

and, if you don't trust me, you can just go here and see for yourself.

do you see anything in there other than what i've described?

NO I dont see anything more that what you described but I don't see how you can thinkt hey are not doing anything or "very little"

They are basically counselers to this kids, or adults, who, for the first time, decide to speak up about a cutting or depression issue. And it is usually because of TWLOHA, or a friend of theirs who knows about TWLOHA, that they went to the site and wrote a message. They help people. They encourage them, they help them get help. I think that is a great thing.
Simply because you think they aren't "helping" enought or "doing" enough doesnt disqualify the good they do.

Cutting is serious, and I think TWLOHA has done a tremendous work and has brought the issue to alot of peoples attention, including the media and those struggling with it that think they were alone in how they felt.

As always, if you think you can do it better, then start your own organization and do it the way you feel is right, otherwise quite your complaining.

EDIT TO ADD:
Just go to their myspace page and read teh comments. Then tell me that they are not doing "anything" or not making an impact. Rolling Eyes

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
chichen02

Whoa sorry guys. I didn't mean specifically prevention I was kind of tired when I typed that and it was just the best way I could think to word it at the time.

It's more a thing where if you or someone you know is depressed or having problems, etc. then it's kinda like "hey. you don't have to go through this alone. there are people out there who care and who want to help. reach out." and it's supposed to raise that kind of awareness to hopefully prevent more horrific outcomes that could happen if someone opted not to get help and suffer through it alone.

I've been a supporter of the charity for about a year because I had a friend commit suicide a year ago last november and it was completely unexpected and he never told anyone he was having problem until it was too late. I was devistated. If I can be that person that someone can reach out to then I want to be there for them. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon because some bands I like also support it.

The thing with their t-shirts and merch is, (and this is just my own personal opinion) I think they are trying to get the slogans recognizable enough so if you see someone wearing their shirt or whatever it kind of shows that that person is willing to help. Maybe it's not likely for someone battling depression and/or addiction to go up to some random stranger, but it still puts out that mentality that someone out there cares and there might be someone closer to them that cares also.

Whoa, sorry that was kind of long. I just wanted to correct my little mistake. Smile
 |  | 

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>