The new one! Johnny Depp is awesome!
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 51

nevernever
Laughing Citizen

crazeemunkeyz wrote:
nevernever wrote:
didnt the newer one stay truer to the book?

regardless, the original is by far superior. "we are the magic makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

yes
they did the squirrel thing rather than the golden egg for veruca salt

gene wilder>johnny depp

also, the old one was called willy wonka and the chocolate factory
and the new one was called charlie and the chocolate factory, which is the name of the book.
and the whole father backstory.. that was in the book too, right?
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

nevernever wrote:
crazeemunkeyz wrote:
nevernever wrote:
didnt the newer one stay truer to the book?

regardless, the original is by far superior. "we are the magic makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

yes
they did the squirrel thing rather than the golden egg for veruca salt

gene wilder>johnny depp

also, the old one was called willy wonka and the chocolate factory
and the new one was called charlie and the chocolate factory, which is the name of the book.
and the whole father backstory.. that was in the book too, right?

i think so...
RachelDldy
Sea Post King

I love the music in the original way better than the music in the new one. And I like the original Oompa Loompas better... Gene Wilder makes a much warmer Wonka, too. I love Johnny Depp, but he was kind of a dead-looking/acting Wonka.
Sings in the Morning
Sea Post King

RachelDldy wrote:
I love Johnny Depp, but he was kind of a dead-looking/acting Wonka.

He looked like a girl.

-----------------------------------------

God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.
--Jim Elliot

------------------------------------------

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
-- Helen Keller
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Looks like 3 people need to be banned.
mister_mime
Golly, Poster

JBaker wrote:
Looks like 3 people need to be banned.

v_v
'
'
'

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

honestly? i haven't seen them back-to-back to compare directly, but i think i have to stick with the original. while the “remake” was much closer to the book's story, i actually think the original did a better job of capturing the books spirit, and which is more important? the remake was just too slick and over done, and didn't have the same charm and magic as the original film and book! and i agree with whoever said that Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka (only without the accentuation, which is all mine [of course!]), but i'm kind of shocked that Danny Elfman hasn't really been called out yet, because his songs were unbearable, and the absolute worst thing about the movie (especially compared to those in the original!)

although, the remake does have Christopher Lee in it, and, well, no movie with Christopher Lee can be all bad (although it can be all bad except for the fact that it has Christopher Lee in it!)
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I've never seen the original, and I love the new one...so I voted for the new one. I'm prepared for people to say "WHAT!?!?!" Wink Yesterday, I was walking around campus and this guy came up to me and asked "Excuse me, do you like coffee?" and I replied "No, I've never had it." to which he replied "You haven't had coffee? You haven't lived!" I then proceeded to walk away. I feel the same way about this thread. Cool

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

but i don't think you should vote if you haven't seen one or the other. you don't actually know if it's better, so how can you vote in a "which is better?" poll? hah.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

OLD one. no question.

I agree with the earlier statement that while the new one stuck closer to the book technically, the spirit of the book was better captured in the old one.

I mean, sure they used the exact song lyrics found in the book. but they did it with these retarded computer-generated oompa loompa rap sequences that looked like a bad 80's music video.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zail7Gdqro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKG07305CBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAqyjbSujc

nuff said.

edited to add that as i was looking up these vids I came accross a term called sweded. I have heard it before, now that I have, I realize how amazing these sweded vids are!

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Sings in the Morning wrote:
RachelDldy wrote:
I love Johnny Depp, but he was kind of a dead-looking/acting Wonka.

He looked like a girl.

Michael Jackson

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

guitargirl wrote:
I've never seen the original, and I love the new one...so I voted for the new one. I'm prepared for people to say "WHAT!?!?!" Wink Yesterday, I was walking around campus and this guy came up to me and asked "Excuse me, do you like coffee?" and I replied "No, I've never had it." to which he replied "You haven't had coffee? You haven't lived!" I then proceeded to walk away. I feel the same way about this thread. Cool

That made me laugh inside for some reason.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

if you've never seen the old one you definitely must not watch tv and/or have cable.

new one didn't even touch the old one.
i agree, if you haven't seen both you should not vote.

also, didn't they manufacture the Slugworth part for the original movie in order to have a villain?

TCM had a special on Gene Wilder just the other week and he talked about playing Wonka and basically he was trying to "scare the sh*t" out of the kids.

he also refused to play the part if he could not do that awesome first appearance gag (with the cane).

OrangeGold&Green
Sea Post King

The new one followed the book more accurately though...just thought I would mention that little tidbit....

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>