Laughing City
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

charlyn wrote:
she is inspired by the pumpkins

I seem to remember a Sherri post about pink pumpkins, but not Smashing Pumpkins. Laughing
Kosmonaut
Sea Post King

It always surprises me when people say they "hate" the Smashing Pumpkins and, more specifically, Billy Corgan...and I always wonder...have these people actually heard a Smashing Pumpkins album! I think a lot of people get the wrong impression about the band based on a lot of the singles (ie. Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Everlasting Gaze, Cherub Rock, etc.), but, in reality, Billy Corgan is one of the most unique and dynamic songwriters there has ever been. I encourage everyone to pull out an album like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness or Adore and give them a listen straight through...not every song is heavy, distorted guitars with him screeching above them...the man wrote some incredible songs. Take a listen to songs like: Thirty-Three, By Starlight, Beautiful, Blank Page, For Martha, Glass and the Ghost Children, With Every Light...just to name a few. I can totally understand that it is hard to get beyond his voice at first, but I really have a feeling that most of these people haven't been exposed to the full spectrum of Corgan's creative output. Give him and the Pumpkins a chance...you won't regret it.
Joined: 28 Feb 2007 | Posts: 21 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario
alastica
Sea Post King

Kosmonaut wrote:
It always surprises me when people say they "hate" the Smashing Pumpkins and, more specifically, Billy Corgan...and I always wonder...have these people actually heard a Smashing Pumpkins album! I think a lot of people get the wrong impression about the band based on a lot of the singles (ie. Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Everlasting Gaze, Cherub Rock, etc.), but, in reality, Billy Corgan is one of the most unique and dynamic songwriters there has ever been. I encourage everyone to pull out an album like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness or Adore and give them a listen straight through...not every song is heavy, distorted guitars with him screeching above them...the man wrote some incredible songs. Take a listen to songs like: Thirty-Three, By Starlight, Beautiful, Blank Page, For Martha, Glass and the Ghost Children, With Every Light...just to name a few. I can totally understand that it is hard to get beyond his voice at first, but I really have a feeling that most of these people haven't been exposed to the full spectrum of Corgan's creative output. Give him and the Pumpkins a chance...you won't regret it.

Agreed. But if you do want an AWESOME heavy song by them, listen to "An Ode To Know One" from Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. Gosh that song rules so much.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Kosmonaut wrote:

It always makes me laugh when people assume that those who dislike a band have never bothered to listen to them.

I have Mellon Collie and Adore, and at one point I also had Siamese Dream. There are portions of Adore I still listen to now and then, but the others did nothing for me. Corgan's voice grates on me whether the song is heavy or acoustic. I've given them a chance, and there are times when I regret it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stumple13
Sea Post King

I had Mellon collie,i never really liked it too much. But im way too picky with music,so thats just me. Im a choir nerd and i cant handle billy's voice. Not that every person should have some classical voice,i wouldnt like Eisley if that was the case. There are just things that bother me about lead singers' voices in alot of mainstream music.

As far as the whole classical rock things go,i never got into,some of them clearly have/had talent,i just never got into it,so im not very educated in that area.
fernster
Sea Post King

Eisley are classic. And they rock! ther you have it. Classic Rock! Very Happy
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

younger people will be more associated with Billy via his solo record, Zwan, and this so-called Pumpkins reunion.

they were huge during Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie era.

i remember getting MC for Christmas in 9th or 10th grade. i had seen the Siamese videos and i wasn't crazy about Billy's voice either so i wasn't interested. then a guy told me about MC being a double album and every song being good, so i asked for it for christmas. i played the crap out of that album.

can't people access the early versions of Eisley sites?
something tells me Smashing Pumpkins will be listed under Sherri's bands on one of those.

i haven't been able to get into anything Billy related since Machina though.
unfortunately the man needs an editor big time as Adore and Machina, heck every album, is way too long. i think Gish is the only one maybe 40 mins, but i'm not sure.

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

I was fed Smashing Pumpkins before I had teeth. Err.. that's the best thing I could think up. Anyways, they rule and Billy Corgan is a genius who is still touring in his 40s and rockin' out like a crazy mofo on guitar in your face.. rock. The Marked was The Marked The Pumpkins were and are the Pumpkins and Zwan was Zwan. You cannot compare. The Pumpkins are more than just their singles. They didn't just write songs like Bullet With Butterfly Wings or Zero, or Tonight, Tonight, or Today... in my humble opinion, a million other songs could have been singles like some of their more acousticy ones.

Anyways,

I am rambling like crazy, and seeing Eisley in a few minutes, and so that is somewhat on topic with my post, eh? Yes. Okay. Off I go!

Cheers.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Have fun! And ask Sherri if she is inspired by Smashing Pumpkins. Laughing
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

me and a friend had a debate about billy corgan's voice.

him: billy corgan has the best voice ever
me: technically, billy corgan's voice sucks big fatty.
him: you're wrong
me: no, actually i'm right. just because you like his voice doesn't mean it has a good tone, pitch, or texture.

point being?

Ew, you found out that Sherri is influenced by The Smashing Pumpkins on ebay? do you deem everything said on ebay to be true?

okay, maybe that wasn't the point, but it popped into my head.

I'm sure that Sherri likes The Smashing Pumpkins, because she grew up in the 90's. You can't escape the Corgan love.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The Marked?

ne'er 'eard of 'em.

i remember liking every single song on Mellon Collie except that one screaming distorted one on disc 2.

i wish he'd do a whole album like the last 3rd or 4th or so of Disc 2. almost Vaudevillian or whatnot. a whole different side that i don't think he showed before......or since?

i never got around to getting that Aeroplane Flies High box. i remember seeing it at Circuit City back in the day. should have bought it.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

The Marked was Corgan's goth/metal band in Florida before he met James Iha after moving back to Chicago. If you listen to the CR05 tape or any of those old demos you can hear the Cure/U2 influence.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
mellon collie
Sea Post King

shakedown 1979, cool kids never have the time

mellon collie is one of my favorite albums ever.
billy's voice, in my opinion, is pretty amazing. its soo unique.
and he's quite quite awesome on the guitar. more than quite actually.

but i've never recognized any sp influence on sherri or heard of it, but what do i know.

gypsybeard
Sea Post King

When I was in middle school and somewhat into High School all I remember was this war between Smashing Pumpkin fans and Collective Soul fans. I never met any totally hardcore Collective Soul fans. If you liked Collective Soul you could still respect Smashing Pumpkins. The Smashing Pumpkin fans in my town had the intensity of today's straight edge kids. I remember an all day hardcore show once where I stepped outside to get some air and there were a couple kids smoking. Three straight edge guys went up and punched them in the face and continued to tell them how stupid they were for smoking. I middle school I felt like if I said I liked Collective Soul it was like smoking outside of a straightedge show. If anyone asked I said I liked Smashing Pumpkins. At first it was an act, but as years past I respected the artistry a lot more.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

collective soul.......man..........this reminds me.

i took this Electronic Music class at Kilgore College. we had maybe 5 students in the class. this one guy had a band - i wish i could remember the name. anywho, he said he recorded some music at a Dallas studio and the Collective Soul singer was there and they gave them a copy of their stuff. then sometime later when CS's new album came out he claims they stole a riff of their's for the lead single. it was the album after the one that blew up. apparently he tried to contact them about it, but got no response. this wasn't as big as that album, but i still think it went platinum.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>