Laughing City
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I think the last paragraph puts it forth pretty fairly - in truth GB/demo tracks are usually for hardcore fans anyway. However, if the first two tracks are "nearly perfect," why only 3 stars? I don't get that so much.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
However, if the first two tracks are "nearly perfect," why only 3 stars? I don't get that so much.

I consider starred ratings to represent the percentage of exceptional songs on a record. There are five tracks on Fire Kite, and two of them are nearly perfect, so that counts as an extra star. I don't see much point in giving more than that to an EP that only has two professionally recorded, mixed, and mastered tracks out of five on it. Those are the songs that really showcase Eisley's sound; the others are just filler.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I see your point but I'm more about the weighted average when it comes to stars. Anybody can write an average song, but when you can get something truly brilliant - or "near perfect" - that should count for something extra, at least it does when I write reviews. And for my money, '192 Days' is a lot greater than filler material, I can almost hear it as the album closer as-is. Simple yes, but the couple vox layers and subtly applied sound effects give it a wonderful charm. Not something she knocked off in a half-hour, that's for sure.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Agreed! Smile Especially about closing the new CD with it, as Trolley Wood closed Room Noises!!
NeoM4A1
Sea Post King

As far as that jesusfreakhideout review goes, I could probably write a worse review on their web site design. Music is music. Listen to what you like, ignore what you don't. You can have your rap and hip-hop, but Im'a listen to Eisley.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:
a little harsh on the Garage Band tracks!

I'm really tired of the criticism about this. They are labeled as demos, so when they downloaded the EP they could have listened to the sample and not bought them. It quickly gives away who is not a musician or who knows nothing about recording music.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was looking for the Oasis thread about their break-up cause there's some news on that front, and when I searched I found THIS oldie that seems relevant to the criticism people are throwing out, in general:

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=11590&highlight=oas is

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:

I'm really tired of the criticism about this. They are labeled as demos, so when they downloaded the EP they could have listened to the sample and not bought them. It quickly gives away who is not a musician or who knows nothing about recording music.

When you sell demos that many of us can record with cleaner quality in our bedrooms, there's bound to be a bit of backlash.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
bigideas wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:

When you sell demos that many of us can record with cleaner quality in our bedrooms, there's bound to be a bit of backlash.

Simply don't buy them. If you see anything Eisley for sale labeled 'demo' turn the other way. Very Happy

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
bigideas wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:

Simply don't buy them. If you see anything Eisley for sale labeled 'demo' turn the other way. Very Happy

I won't buy them, but this thread is about reviews.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
bigideas wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:

Rolling Eyes I didn't buy them. I'm still allowed to have an opinion on their validity as tracks on an EP that's being sold for ten dollars.

Also, regarding your previous point, Tyler and I are both musicians who know quite a bit about recording music. The fact that neither of us thinks including those demos was a good idea is based on our own experience and abilities, not a lack thereof.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:

I won't buy them, but this thread is about reviews.

Yes, I was referring to the Jesus Freak Hideout review.

saellys wrote:
Also, regarding your previous point, Tyler and I are both musicians who know quite a bit about recording music. The fact that neither of us thinks including those demos was a good idea is based on our own experience and abilities, not a lack thereof.

The artists who released said demos have a lot more experience though, correct? Wink

That said, I like the one demo I have heard (the speed corrected one)* and you don't. I have no desire to change your mind, I do however think these songs/recordings have a right to exist so people can choose to either hear them or not hear them. I can't think of any reason why less music should exist in the world.

If the point is that you don't think they should charge for demos, then that is fine, but money should not dictate the existence of music in my opinion.

*I have abstained from buying the EP because I very rarely buy digital only downloads and am not attending a concert to buy a physical copy.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
The artists who released said demos have a lot more experience though, correct? Wink

That said, I like the one demo I have heard (the speed corrected one)* and you don't. I have no desire to change your mind, I do however think these songs/recordings have a right to exist so people can choose to either hear them or not hear them. I can't think of any reason why less music should exist in the world.

If the point is that you don't think they should charge for demos, then that is fine, but money should not dictate the existence of music in my opinion.

*I have abstained from buying the EP because I very rarely buy digital only downloads and am not attending a concert to buy a physical copy.

Wow, it's almost like you're making my point. You said a person's opinion of the demos gives away who is not a musician and who knows nothing about recorded music (emphasis mine), not who is a musician with not as much experience as Eisley, which is what you're now trying to say (winking smiley notwithstanding).

You're absolutely right, I haven't played a fraction of the shows or sold anywhere near as many albums. I've been making music for about a third of the time the DuPree children have, collectively. And as I've followed their career, I've resolved to not make the same mistakes they have, which range from something as minor as putting two demos on a five track EP that's getting sold at shows for ten dollars all the way up to whoppers like being on a major label in the first place. The review you referenced described the demos honestly and professionally, suggesting the writer has a great deal of experience in the music world, despite the fact that he's 17--hey, weren't Eisley kind of young when they started making music? Innocence and experience and all that. (He's also apparently from my hometown... weird!)

I don't see any reason why the songs shouldn't exist in the world. Obviously there are plenty of people who like Eisley demos, and I'm one of them. My point is indeed that people shouldn't have to pay what amounts to $4 of the $10 for the tour EP to hear unfinished demos. I'm a major proponent of money not dictating the existence of music--that's why I give all mine away for free, demos and professionally recorded tracks alike. I'm not saying Eisley should, but selling demos simply isn't a good business model.

Smokemonster
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Let's get one thing straight.

It's only $4 bucks for the EP (digitally)

$10 bucks for the EP and a Poster as well as the opportunity to have it signed by band members since you are going to be buying it from them, and if you time it right they'll be at the merch booth do do just that.

They say the poster is free, but really it semantics, just like the "but Wait there's more!!!" information pitch. You're really paying for all that stuff, not the one item, and then the other half dozen for free.

4 bucks for a 2 track single is about what a cd single used to cost, or one on vinyl. So the digital version is at an okay price point especially if you just go for the album tracks and only down $2, the typical cassette single price with as many tracks.

How much does a poster usually cost these days??? For most of my mine it's been about 10 bucks.

Using that logic, the tour EP is a steal.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I just wanted to add two small things in here

#1 - everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter

#2 - as consumers we have the right to decide if the product is worh the amount it costs. To Hannah, it does not. To Wil it does. To each his own. We have that ability, in a free market society, do choose if we want to buy it or not.

nothing else really needs to be said about price vs content.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube