Laughing City
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

well i'm even more excited to hear the new album now!

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Little Firefly
Sea Post King

This sounds really great! I'm very happy for Eisley!
I'm def not a technical person though or someone who knows much at all about label, etc. Just a music lover and huge fan of Eisley.
-Could someone explain what this means for fans, etc?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Little Firefly wrote:

In a nutshell, the next album will probably be available even later, because the DuPrees will have to get it pressed and distributed themselves (or through an indie label, and finding a good one and signing to it will take time as well). Without Warner Brothers' dubious clout in the industry, it probably won't be available in as many places. It could be a while before Eisley land another "high profile" tour opening for a major label band. Hopefully that will mean they do more headlining in clubs and small- to medium-sized venues, and get to pick their own openers like they did with The Envy Corps and Vedera and such.

Basically, the mechanics of being a band change significantly. There's a lot more work for Eisley to do themselves, but that also means they have complete control over where their career goes from here.

For the fans, it means now is the time to start hardcore street-teaming for Eisley. A few years back the Laughing Citizens flooded a bunch of online polls and competitions in a fearsome display of our power, and it led to great things like Yahoo! Music sponsoring a free tour in a few cities, complete with a bus for the band. We can do things like that again, and they need us more than ever. Go forth and evangelize! Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

Finally! This is great news for Eisley.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
Little Firefly wrote:

For the fans, it means now is the time to start hardcore street-teaming for Eisley. A few years back the Laughing Citizens flooded a bunch of online polls and competitions in a fearsome display of our power, and it led to great things like Yahoo! Music sponsoring a free tour in a few cities, complete with a bus for the band. We can do things like that again, and they need us more than ever. Go forth and evangelize! Very Happy

YES!

though, i must say, i'm sure they'll get the album onto itunes at the very least so...

Little Firefly
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
Little Firefly wrote:

In a nutshell, the next album will probably be available even later, because the DuPrees will have to get it pressed and distributed themselves (or through an indie label, and finding a good one and signing to it will take time as well). Without Warner Brothers' dubious clout in the industry, it probably won't be available in as many places. It could be a while before Eisley land another "high profile" tour opening for a major label band. Hopefully that will mean they do more headlining in clubs and small- to medium-sized venues, and get to pick their own openers like they did with The Envy Corps and Vedera and such.

Basically, the mechanics of being a band change significantly. There's a lot more work for Eisley to do themselves, but that also means they have complete control over where their career goes from here.

Thanks a ton! Very helpful!
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

Wow! I lost internet connection and came back to find this!

I'm very happy for the band, though I know it will be a tremendous struggle on their part. But I will definitely do whatever needs to be done in terms of street-teaming(?).

WOO!

http://inconnumag.com
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
Little Firefly wrote:

well, yeah, but the flip side is that they CAN do stuff themselves and get it moving instead of waiting for corporate to grind in to motion throughout its many fiefdoms and departments, or for someone to even notice.

And that the people responsible for promoting them have them as a very high priority... either because its themselves and their close allies, or because its a small label of which they are a much bigger part... rather than having the people who are supposed to be pushing them burying them deliberately at any given point in time as a function of the multi-brand strategy in play in the larger stable, to avoid competition with the other "brands" in the portfolio.

And I think people are more willing to do things for bands that are outside of corporate music. I think you can regain access to networks that don't interface much with the big corporate product. Part of it is prejudice against corporate music, some of it is that everyone assumes that if you're with a major, everything is taken care of and their help and investment is better spent bringing up good music that isn't in the corporate sphere yet. Which is great, except when thats not the situation.

And there a lot of pretty serious acts that are outside of the majors these days that you basically can't tour with if you are on a major. There are even some (albeit fewer) idealistic big names that are on a major but call their own shots and would rather take a non-corporate band along, if they think they are good.

Bottom line, all the focus I've heard is about what Eisley is giving up on the major, and how great it is, even though they won't have access to all the stuff they did before.

I think what might be overlooked is what Eisley gave up access to when they signed with a major in the first place. First off, probably about two thirds of their fans at the time, who don't listen to corporate product.
Not least having their reputation sullied by having their first couple of albums go out under corporate production, with the resulting damage to the sound... albums whose production values only an existing fan could look past. The value of cred is not to be underestimated, and when they signed with Reprise, they basically sacrificed ALL of that (and they did have a fairly impressive stock of it) gambling on trading it off for mass exposure.... ... and that can be a lucrative tradeoff, except when the mass exposure never really materializes. So they gave up a LOT and got not as much for it as one would have hoped.

Cubs posted a link to the UGO telescope eyes... a related video that came up was the original ep2 telescope eyes... hadn't heard it for a while. If you haven't listened to stuff of that era for a while, do- and it will make clearer what signing with Warner cost them. OK, the song isn't the most mature, but the music is miles ahead of anything they did under Warner. It has a groove and a crunch- some punch. Everything that the producers under whose tutelage they worked at Warner expunged from them. OK- some of it is down to the rhythm section, and there was a personnel change- and some of the style change is down to that, but some of it is simply the impetus towards stultifying blandness that always wins out in corporate music- and it hits the rhythm section hardest.

Nobody should expect that they should go back and pick up stylistically where they were pre-warner- they were much younger then, and thats not where they are at.

BUT they're success depends on being able to UNLEARN a lot of what they were schooled in when they were being groomed for making corporate product instead of music. The audience they need to appeal to (again- the one the won over before and mostly lost) is the one that likes MUSIC. You don't just leave a major and instantly get all your cred back, but you can start working on it... by producing. Good stuff. and loving to play it so it gets promoted fiercely at the grass roots. And the odds are still against getting rich doing it, though if you are good and work hard, with a bit of luck you can make a living and not have to spend your days doing some schlubby job like everyone else... But it doesn't seem to me like what they've given up at Warner looked likely to involve getting rich anytime soon anyway.

Of course, the real indie bands that really make it are highly self-motivated. A lot of good bands simply fail because they lack the requisite driven and work capacity to push forward as real artists rather than carefully cultivated products. Not everyone wants to work that hard. In fact, if it doesn't come naturally, I'm not sure you can force it enough to succeed. Most really successful bands who do it their own way, you find out they have at least one or two driving, super type A people in them who are relentless workers by nature.
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

Haaaaaaallelujah! Haaaaallelujah! Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

Congrats on parting ways!
boyd
Eisleyoid

This is collectively a great resource. Not just saying that. I wanted to be super plugged into this discussion today but alas - I spent so much time last night trying to hack out that blog - I got way behind on design work. Burning midnight oil for that tonight. Your encouraging words are keeping the fumes flickering in my head-soul. Can't wait to devour this tomorrow.

Richard Gibbs and I were talking last week and he was recanting how impressed he was specifically with Eisley's Laughing City fans. "Eisley's fan's are smart... involved... they're eclectic and have good musical taste; sadly not like so many other bands who just follow the crowd, you know; like - if it's on the radio and has attitude or they can bang their heads to it... they get it." Our discussion centered around the inspiring idea of putting out very special offerings that you guys would appreciate rather than just waiting only for the drudge of the mammoth record cycle offering.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

This raises a question. Does WB still own rights to material released under their label, or do all those rights revert back to the band now? My knowledge of the music industry is rather lacking and I know it's full of all kinds of red tape.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

freakinalex wrote:
This raises a question. Does WB still own rights to material released under their label, or do all those rights revert back to the band now? My knowledge of the music industry is rather lacking and I know it's full of all kinds of red tape.

i think it's all gonna depend on the terms of the contract really

keithabbott
Sea Post King

The key question is, is their a non-disclosure or not. If not, Boyd....can you give us a short run down of the key agreement points that would be relevant from a fans perspective?

If there's a non-disclosure, we're gonna be left in the dark as always except for the in-between the lines kinda comments from Boyd.

The Man In The Moon wrote:
freakinalex wrote:

i think it's all gonna depend on the terms of the contract really

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I think Eisley should start their own record label... and put Christie on it. Just saying.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

Isn't Christie recording stuff now, or am I imagining things? She's the main reason I listen to so much Wesley Jensen.

http://inconnumag.com

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>