Laughing City
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I think I'm with Jain on this one.
Not in love.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
You know, if anything I think they made Smarter sound less raw so that it would sound more like Eisley as they have been known, mixing the guitars down, highlighting the piano and vocals. I personally think that's why so many people prefer this version, it sounds "more like the band" that we've known.

I will say this, as far as I know, the Studio version of Smarter was done before the first live performance in Colorado, so what we've heard up till this point was never what was recorded...

I didn't think it was, but maybe I'm wrong. In the first performance of it, there was no bridge, just a long, howbeit, awesome guitar duel and the lyrics were quite different on the choruses and I know that's easy to change. I don't know, though, I could very well be wrong.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
norad
Vintage Newbie

Here are the lyrics. Not sure if these go with the album version 'cause they were originally posted (not by me) from the live version: http://www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/lyrics/s-w/smarter
alinicole
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
Here are the lyrics. Not sure if these go with the album version: http://www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/lyrics/s-w/smarter

Album version would be:

If I had one wish it'd be for you and all your friends that didn't like me
And if I had one wish it'd be that we'd had danced more at that apocryphal wedding
If I sound angry, I'm sorry, this body can only cry for so long
And if you want to blame me, then go on
I'm smiling now 'cause I'm smarter than you think

I'm smarter than you
I'm smarter than you think

Well I apologize for not telling you that my halo was cut from paper
Sliced from the fibers that made up all the parts that we were together
And even though I miss you, I'm thankful
It's obvious that this one was futile
So put your hands together and clap for the painful choice you've made 'cause it's right

I'm smarter than you
I'm smarter than you

You were the narcissist, you're everything you saw in me
(into the sea you fell, in love with the reflection of yourself)
You were the narcissist, you're everything you saw in me
(into the ocean's grip, I swam away to watch you drift,
you failed to see I'm smarter than you think, I'm smarter than you think)

I'm smarter than you
I'm smarter than you

(I found out)
I'm smarter than you
(The hard way this time)
(That you were right)
I'm smarter than you
(And this was all wrong)

norad
Vintage Newbie

Awesome Ali! Thanks. I'll have to add that to the lyrics page now. Very Happy
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Wait, we're not comparing a studio recording made to a recording of a live show, are we?

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

At least I'm not the only one with negative commentary (always a relief... Razz).

It basically sounds like a Say Anything song underneath Eisley vocals. I was hoping the one Bemis-y riff in particular would be altered to sound more Chauntelle-y, but alas.

I agree about Sherri's vocals lacking the passion it did in the original live version, but she sounds good to me, overall, and to be honest, I've never been much of a fan of her voice. I think it sounds best on these types of songs (like Many Funerals), opposed to the quieter songs that rely solely on her voice (the kind of songs that are best suited for Stacy, in my opinion).

I also think the production is kind of poor (for a band like Eisley, that is). I think besides the obvious signature guitar sound, it really adds to the Say Anything-esque quality.

I've always thought they were an odd fit on the AP boards, but this song, at least, sounds exactly like what AP's target demo would listen to. Unfortunately, that is not much of compliment, even though I admittedly still enjoy some AP featured bands, one of which is actually Say Anything. But even with Sherri's drastic personality and style change, it's still hard for me to think of them as one of 'those' bands.

I really hope this isn't the theme of the album, but if it is, I'm happy we have Stacy's album to look forward to.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
You know, if anything I think they made Smarter sound less raw so that it would sound more like Eisley as they have been known, mixing the guitars down, highlighting the piano and vocals. I personally think that's why so many people prefer this version, it sounds "more like the band" that we've known.

I will say this, as far as I know, the Studio version of Smarter was done before the first live performance in Colorado, so what we've heard up till this point was never what was recorded...

I didn't think it was, but maybe I'm wrong. In the first performance of it, there was no bridge, just a long, howbeit, awesome guitar duel and the lyrics were quite different on the choruses and I know that's easy to change. I don't know, though, I could very well be wrong.

You're sort of right, sort of wrong, the TX college show was the one without the bridge at the end, the first time I remember seeing that, it was on the vids from the show at Brewtones. I can't remember if there were any vids from the Colorado show, so I'm wrong too, cause Jain was talking about the TX college show (I forget which school it was at) cause that's the video that kicked off LP3 talk along with Kind from that same show.

And I like Sherri singing Rocking'er songs as well, she's at her best when she's wailing at the top of her lung, or showin' some tude Very Happy

On the other hand, I don't listen to Say Anyting, mainly because the songs I've heard as singles sound nothing like Smarter to me. If they did sound like it(more aggressive, darker rock sounds) and Max sang more like he does on that Two Tongues stuff, and Perma, I would probably be a fan, but that's never what I hear, though that I Hate Everyone song was catchier than any other single I'd heard up to this point, as far as my taste goes.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

tahruh wrote:

I've always thought they were an odd fit on the AP boards, but this song, at least, sounds exactly like what AP's target demo would listen to. Unfortunately, that is not much of compliment, even though I admittedly still enjoy some AP featured bands, one of which is actually Say Anything. But even with Sherri's drastic personality and style change, it's still hard for me to think of them as one of 'those' bands.

I really hope this isn't the theme of the album, but if it is, I'm happy we have Stacy's album to look forward to.

I've always sort of thought of "Smarter" in that way. I think it's just ~that kind of song. From the album preview, though, I think this is as close to AP as it's going to get.

http://inconnumag.com
ync
Golly, Poster

I have to agree with a lot of people on this song. It's great, don't get me wrong, but it does lack the passion that Sherri conveys in the live performances.

But I view their live performances completely different than their recorded stuff. They seem more tame in their finished recordings and when they're live they really play with all their hearts which I love. The thing that I love about this band is that you can listen to their albums and think, "Oh this is nice." but then when they play the same songs live they're completely different. There's more heart and they improvise some parts for some fun or just for something different which I can never get enough of. The first time I saw Eisley back in the Combinations tour which they played "Marvy Things" I was blown away by Chauntelle's guitar parts. And during this past tour Weston just went insane drumming. Plus Sherri's vocals always seem to be so much more passionate when she's live - same with Stacy but Sherri always seems to go all out. I can get tired of listening to certain songs, but I can never get enough of hearing them live. I'm tired of "Telescope Eyes" and "Come Clean" but when they played TE in boston this past year it was so wonderful - plus there was the added bonus of everyone singing along and Sherri being really excited about it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sERWDp1imG8)

Smarter is a great song live, I will probably always love it more live than I do their finished recording - but the finished recording offers something different which I still very much appreciate and it makes me even more excited to hear what the other songs sound like on the album - particularly "I Wish" "Please" "Better Love" and "Mr. Moon" I love the clips of Mr. Moon in the 3rd eiswood session.

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I'm not really sure what Say Anything's singles even are/were outside of 'Wow...' which sounds nothing like Smarter, admittedly. Laughing

It definitely sounds like classic Say Anything to me, though, and to me Is/Was a Real Boy and even In Defense of the Genre have their classic sound. S/T was a bit of a departure, but still had some classic riffs. The guitar is classic Bemis, imo. Actually, the beginning guitar in the song 'In Defense of the Genre' is not too dissimilar from Smarter -- a little more aggressive perhaps. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think Max is a good guitarist and I like his playing, but I like it for his style of music which is totally authentic to him.

I wrote off Say Anything for a long time, mostly because I hated Max's voice, but it eventually grew on me. There's some really great songs on Is/Was a Real Boy and In Defense of the Genre that I'm sure were never singles. And he's a good writer. The new album, however, is just okay, imo.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ yeah, I agree on the voice, completely, and it never grew on me, it took hearing him simply sing differently for me to express any appreciation, which now allows me to say something positive about the spouse of some in a band I like and support, which is a good thing. Laughing

So yeah, thank you Max, for singing different sometimes, and throwing us vocal sticklers a bone Razz

And you know, it's funny, but based on the post of vid where you could hear Sherri's monitor, and one where Weston is way up in the mix, with a little tweaking of the mix, an Eisley live album would sound like a completely different band covering their songs, but with the same singers... but would it be better Confused IDK???

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the new album.
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

Personally, I love Max's part on this song, and think it really adds a great punch to the mood. I never thought it sounded Say Anything-ish. It just sounds like they got a guest musician in for a song, who is playing the guitar how he does, and I think that was the whole point of his appearance..
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

"I never thought it sounded Say Anything-ish."

"It just sounds like they got a guest musician in for a song, who is playing the guitar how he does"

A "guest musician," who is the main member of Say Anything, who plays the guitar "how he does."

Okay.

And I'm confused at 'that' being the point.

If there was any point, I'd surmise it as a further "EFF U" to Chad. And that's cool, but I personally don't like the way it's ended up sounding.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>