Laughing City

Should I get a Mac?
Yeah!
64%
 64%  [ 24 ]
A what?
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Sure, the world wide web is great...But you make me salivate...
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 37

Tyler Durden
Golly, Poster

The5thavocado wrote:
Hmm. Thinking about getting an eMac. Ideas, suggestions, advice, comments? I've heard good things...But, I have never used one, and I'm afraid I'll get it and not know what to do with it. Laughing

Thanks yaaaawwl.

Please don't get an eMac. The low end iMac is a MUCH better deal. Or if you're happy with a CRT monitor, then I suggest getting the Mac Mini and using the existing monitor that you have. The Mac Mini is actually aimed towards new Mac users like you.

I notice that you live in Ft. Worth; I actually work at the Apple Store in Plano, so before you decide on a machine, I suggest you either head to my store, or our other store in Highland Park and give all of our machines a test drive and see what you like. If you're a college student, bring your student ID and driver's license, and you'll get an education discount.

myspace
last.fm
Joined: 30 Nov 2003 | Posts: 570 | Location: Somewhere between Hurst, Plano, and Richardson, TX
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

mac...PC...doesn't matter, once IBM drops the cellular microprocessor that its patented...its all going the way of the dinosaur...

so fast...soooooooo faaaasssstt....

boone
Vintage Newbie

Tyler Durden wrote:
The5thavocado wrote:
Hmm. Thinking about getting an eMac. Ideas, suggestions, advice, comments? I've heard good things...But, I have never used one, and I'm afraid I'll get it and not know what to do with it. Laughing

Thanks yaaaawwl.

Please don't get an eMac. The low end iMac is a MUCH better deal. Or if you're happy with a CRT monitor, then I suggest getting the Mac Mini and using the existing monitor that you have. The Mac Mini is actually aimed towards new Mac users like you.

I notice that you live in Ft. Worth; I actually work at the Apple Store in Plano, so before you decide on a machine, I suggest you either head to my store, or our other store in Highland Park and give all of our machines a test drive and see what you like. If you're a college student, bring your student ID and driver's license, and you'll get an education discount.

And remember, if he makes a pass at you, he's sooo fired.

Tyler Durden
Golly, Poster

Yes, I meant to add, "And if you're a female college student, how you doin?"

myspace
last.fm
Joined: 30 Nov 2003 | Posts: 570 | Location: Somewhere between Hurst, Plano, and Richardson, TX
brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

granpaturtle wrote:
mac...PC...doesn't matter, once IBM drops the cellular microprocessor that its patented...its all going the way of the dinosaur...

It's the "Cell"... and as of now, it's geared more towards application specific devices (i.e. PS3, HDTV's, PDA's, Cellphone).

The Cell will only take off in desktop computers if Microsoft supports it (and that is doubtful, but who knows)...
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 | Posts: 472 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
berlies_
Lost at Forum

The5thavocado wrote:
Gaming is really no issue with me. I don't got game. Cool

I'm more or less going to be needing it for photo/audio purposes. I'd like to be able to record music onto it, and edit/manipulate digital photos and graphic arts stuff.

The trouble I have upgrading my current PC is that it is going to cost me a small fortune, and I'm not really keen on the thing anyway. It's clumsy, and is constantly crashing.

Thats all I can think of though, really. I'm an art person. So, I'd use it for my arts. Is it better for that? Or what?

Yeah, especially for audio, macs are great. I'm an audio production major and we use a mac. If you can, I guess if you are serious about recording and editing music, then you should try and get protools as well....*sigh* I heart protools.

I also got an ibook for school purposes and it just works really well. I know Macs have had a bad connatation, but, as a person that still uses a PC, the difference between them isnt all the great. The new Operating system is very simple and very user friendly. It's not hard at all to adapt PC skills to Mac skills. Though, I am finding little tidbits here and there that tell me Macs are a little better, especially in the graphic/audio fields.

Ok...theres my two cents.

Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

Mac = paperweight.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ABBAgirl
Sea Post King

You poor thing.

ABBAgirl

www.myspace.com/abbagirl2
boone
Vintage Newbie

Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
Mac = paperweight.

You have expensive taste.

Silvestre
Golly, Poster

brian_nguyen wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:

It's the "Cell"... and as of now, it's geared more towards application specific devices (i.e. PS3, HDTV's, PDA's, Cellphone).

The Cell will only take off in desktop computers if Microsoft supports it (and that is doubtful, but who knows)...

Cell is powerful indeed, but it's a totally different processor than Mac's or AMD/Intel's...It's way more Software assisted than the other two...that's why it's more suitable to be used for certain type of things than to do all around daily jobs like we've been doing...and that's what made Cell way stronger than the others...because it's a plain strong processor that must be suited with a software (that is also application-specific)...one clear characteristic of Cell is that it hates branches of possibilities..one of the reason why it should be fully guided with a nicely coded software...seeing Windows support Cell...wow...kinda hard...cause i think they need to rebuild the whole Windows first... Very Happy
btw, Intel is said to have somekind of Cell project going on...well...whatever Intel's doing...i'm surely gonna stick to AMD...
about Mac...hmm..i find it too exclusive...and it's kinda boring...i like building PCs...and it's fun...about the head to head performance...i believe it depends on the spec you have...what kind of software you are dealing with...for the people saying that they are all the same...well...not really...these days processors are made with special purposes...like Intel's are good for encoding and better multi-tasking because of their long pipelines and HT technology...and AMD's are better if you are going for gaming because of their shorter pipelines (now they have Hyper Transport tech on their Athlon 64s models...and it really improves mem bandwidth...with this technology, they've really got Intel's only thing that they used to brag...yep, AMD is now better at Encoding too)...i don't know what Macs are really good at...but people have been saying that they are good for design and most of those artistic jobs and such...if you look at all of them generally...they are all just the same, but they actually have fields, in which they perform better than the others...i don't wanna go too technical...but i think you get my point...