Laughing City

Do you believe Wal-Mart is a corporate monster?
HELL YEAH!!
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
What's Wal-Mart?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not really.
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Ask me in a couple of minutes when i'm done laughing. . .
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

boone
Vintage Newbie

tApiokA wrote:
And i understand that there is a great amt of poverty out there.. but THAT's why we have govt aid. those people that can only afford a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread for the week have no reason to do so. if they are that impoverished they most definitely will recieve wic if they go and apply. and the application process for wic is very simple. i know. i've gone. and wic provides the staples that all families need.. like milk, bread, cereal, baby food and formula, rice and other food products as well as non food products necessary to maintain healthy living. medicaid is another option they have... i'm not familiar with that application process though.

WIC is for women, infants, and children, and it's designed for pregnant women and young children to avoid common health problems from malnutrition, but on it's not designed to be used on its own to provide food.

Food stamps or cards are more what would be appropriate in such situations, but it's such an abused government program, there are people that refuse to be a part of it because it's already costing the American people so much. There are single mothers who keep having children in order to raise their food stamp allotment, and avoid getting a job. Yes, illogical, but it happens.

There are also local non-profit, donation based food shares that give away food to needy families. Although there are still places in America where poverty and malnutrition are huge problems. There are rural places all over this country that look like third world nations, and not even the low-low prices of Walmart can help. So the whole thing isn't a good argument either way. If you can't afford food and the government can't help you get it, chances are you're not able to grocery shop at all.

tApiokA
Lost at Forum

YES! i had forgotten about those food banks down here as well. . i haven't volunteered in a long time..
Vintage Newbie

i honestly do not mind at all that they are corporate monsters. i mean, if they can achieve that then why not? It's completely American. I do not think they are responsible for the crimes committed in there parking lot, i do think they should maybe have some compassion and do something about it, but it isn't required.

I hate however that they treat the Asian workers so badly, and will definitely try to avoid Wal-Mart in the future.

GODBLESS

-Nicholas