Laughing City
sharrkmaster
Sea Post King

Pantheon4 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
emilytheanteater wrote:
blisteredavalon wrote:
what would be even better than a double album... would be a double concept album! ide like to see what they could come up with in terms of concept albums.

what's a concept album?

It's like a regular album, but with more pretension*.

*theme

Like the Beatles' Abbey Road (I think..) and David Crowder's A Collision, if you're into him.
Joined: 10 Mar 2008 | Posts: 136 | Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I didn't know A Collision was a concept album. I haven't looked at it very closely though.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Abbey Road is not a concept album.
You may be thinking about how the second side of the album forms a 'suite' of sort where one song flows immediately into the next with out a gap. Thematically the songs have nothing to do with one another - they just 'threw' some song fragments together.

Pink Floyd's The Wall is an example.
basically all the songs are tied together thematically and tell a story of sorts.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

yeah it doesnt really have to tella story.

the beatles sgt peppers was a concept album, the concept being that the beatles were not 'playing" the songs, but sgt peppers lonely hearts club band was.

any floyd album from dark side to the final cut (i suppose momentary lapse and division bell) are concept albums.
just an album based on a theme, doesnt have to tell a story. though most do.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

the beatles sgt peppers was a concept album, the concept being that the beatles were not 'playing" the songs, but sgt peppers lonely hearts club band was.

A friend once told me his mom, who was a childhood fan during the sixties, couldn't ever listen to Pepper's all the way through because it depressed her too much! I asked him why and he said, "Just listen to the songs next time." Loneliness a definite theme throughout, although I haven't really figured out how it applies to 'Mr. Kite' - perhaps the transient nature of circus life? Keep that in mind next spin, might subtly change the experience.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
mr pine wrote:

A friend once told me his mom, who was a childhood fan during the sixties, couldn't ever listen to Pepper's all the way through because it depressed her too much! I asked him why and he said, "Just listen to the songs next time." Loneliness a definite theme throughout, although I haven't really figured out how it applies to 'Mr. Kite' - perhaps the transient nature of circus life? Keep that in mind next spin, might subtly change the experience.

interesting!!

I will have to give it a shot next time I listen. All I can say in regards to the lonlieness of mr kite is that happy music doesn't have to mean happy lyrics.

that being said

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I don't think 'derailed;' discussion of a concept album is germane in this case! Smile
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

i thought it was generally considered a 'failed' concept album, as they only were really different charaters in the title track/reprise and With a Little Help.

the 'real' concept may be Geoff Emerick and the band's sonic experimentation - trying to use the studio as it's never been used before.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
mr pine wrote:

i thought it was generally considered a 'failed' concept album, as they only were really different charaters in the title track/reprise and With a Little Help.

the 'real' concept may be Geoff Emerick and the band's sonic experimentation - trying to use the studio as it's never been used before.

color me wrong but I am not sure about what you said in regards to SGT Peppers.

I think those two songs are just them saying here is the begingin and end to the show. Since they introduce Ringo on With a little help as BIlly Shears. From then on I think it is still the sgt peppers band playing.

a great album, but not the best idea of a concept album.

floyd, tommy, quadrophenia. stuff like that, those are definitly concept albums

wilsmith wrote:

sharrkmaster
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
Abbey Road is not a concept album.
You may be thinking about how the second side of the album forms a 'suite' of sort where one song flows immediately into the next with out a gap. Thematically the songs have nothing to do with one another - they just 'threw' some song fragments together.

Pink Floyd's The Wall is an example.
basically all the songs are tied together thematically and tell a story of sorts.

Ah, well actually I hear that the b-side to that album was supposed to be a concept album. John and Paul disagreed and John got the 1st side and Paul got the 2nd side.. obviously Paul wanted to do a concept-style. But I think you're right, I was probably just thinking of Sgt. Peppers, not Abbey Road, my mistake.

And I don't think concept albums technically have to tell a story.. But if Eisley ever made one I'm sure it would. And it'd be a fun story!

Cendrillon wrote:
I didn't know A Collision was a concept album. I haven't looked at it very closely though.

A Collision is DEFINITELY a concept album.. One of the best IMO. David Crowder literally had a Word document with all the songs written out with the help of his pastor friend (who died tragically during their Collision tour) before ever recording anything. The intertwining theme has to do with death, redemption, suffering, and finding God in the middle of it all, I think.
Joined: 10 Mar 2008 | Posts: 136 | Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
bigideas wrote:
mr pine wrote:

color me wrong but I am not sure about what you said in regards to SGT Peppers.

I think those two songs are just them saying here is the begingin and end to the show. Since they introduce Ringo on With a little help as BIlly Shears. From then on I think it is still the sgt peppers band playing.

a great album, but not the best idea of a concept album.

floyd, tommy, quadrophenia. stuff like that, those are definitly concept albums

i think i read an interview with Paul pointing out what i said above (re: the concept failure) - it was originally the idea that it was that band playing those songs, but they only truly did it with those three songs. it sets up a concert with the intro and Help, but then the other songs there are no crowd sounds or anything linking the rest.

re: Abbey Road side 2 - I have heard audio of a Lennon interview where he thought it was the worst thing they did - Mean Mr Mustard and Polythene Pam were throw away songs to him. i don't remember how close this statement was made to the break up though - he might have thought differently before he died.