15%  [ 3 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 19

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
That's pretty impressive, actually, that looks like it'll sound pretty good, as long as they didn't denoise it too much and kill the tone. I'm actually surprised at how weak those snare hits have always been. I wish The Beatles wouldn't have compressed the drums so much. That's a technique I kind of wish would go away.

Thanks for that.

Yeah, honestly, they might have just cranked the gain and left it at that Laughing

I mean those are the same waves pretty much exactly with increased amplitude, which looks like a gain crank to me, these might not even be legit remasters, just "relouders" Smile

but that's a good thing Very Happy

We share a Pet Peeve - I don't know why those Brits where so down on propulsive drumming until Bohnam. It was the same thing with Moon and Ginger Baker too, this tendency to try and sound like Jazz drummers, when initially they were covering all these Early Rock & Blues artists who had nothing but Fat Back, Gut-Bucket drumming (you know, the good stuff) behind them.

Whenever ever I would get in a discussion about Hendrix with the elder Statemen around here (as in St. Louis, the Laughable City, as opposed to this, the actual Laughing City), there would always be this move to diss Buddy Miles drumming in favor of Mitch Mitchell because Mitchell used polyrhythms was more dynamic. For me, I liked them both, but that preference for the jazzier drums, it sometimes takes away from the groove. Particularly the emphasis on the ride in place of the the snare, or shuffles and brushing instead of snaps and heavy backbeats. The music is more "sophisticated" that way I guess?

I say Turn Up the Snare!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I want the mono so bad, but I don't know.

My dream vinyl would be to have the original Parlophone versions and that mono box set is the closest you can get - exact reproductions of all the artwork,etc.

At first it seemed getting the mono box and then buying the stereo albums would be the way to go - Abbey and LIB - but after reading some reviews I find out that you still won't get every track because the Past Masters for the mono box only contains the tracks that were in mono - so you would be missing a few of the later stereo only singles.

Honestly, it still pisses me off they didn't just put Mono and Stereo on both discs. It could easily fit on almost every album other than the White and Abbey R albums (I think all others are less than 40 mins).

That being said, I'd love to hear the new Stereo versions, too, but no way I'm going to shell out, what, $400-500? So if I had to pick one I'd go with mono.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Really? That's all they did? You can do that at home for free.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:

No, Wil was just speculating.

The songs have all been cleaned up and almost everything is much clearer, especially on the later albums. It was a full remastering.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

from what i read with the mono they tried to keep it as close to the way it originally sounded as possible. if you look you can find detailed writings on the subject.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

No, Wil was just speculating.

The songs have all been cleaned up and almost everything is much clearer, especially on the later albums. It was a full remastering.

Yeah, I was just being asinine and contentious... They would never pull a fast one like that!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

Thanks yall, this thread is an incredible read! Will the monos be sold individually? back to sleep.
boone
Vintage Newbie

Not at Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I'm not that familiar with recording techniques, but it seems that except for Yellow Submarine, Abby Road, and Let It Be, the majority of the albums were originally recorded in mono, even though stereo recording was in existence. Why would they choose to do that?
boone
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:
I'm not that familiar with recording techniques, but it seems that except for Yellow Submarine, Abby Road, and Let It Be, the majority of the albums were originally recorded in mono, even though stereo recording was in existence. Why would they choose to do that?

Stereo was a new technology at the time, and most artists were hesitant to use it. Phil Spector and Brian Wilson in particular hated stereo. The problem was that people could put the two speakers wherever they wanted to, and potentially ruin the mix. Also, you could only listen to music in stereo on your hifi at home, so they would have to do two mixes anyway. The Beatles released a lot of their albums in stereo, but the stereo mixes were rushed afterthoughts usually.

A huge problem was that EMI's studio at Abbey Road was constantly behind the times. When the Beatles first started recording, EMI only had two track recorders. In the 60s. Most of their LPs were recorded on four track recorders, which consisted of numerous mixdowns, which means they were usually mixing while recording at the same time. The only album they recorded on an 8 track recorder was Abbey Road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:

The first four albums were only in mono. Everything after that was offered in mono and stereo, and then Abbey Road and Let It Be were only stereo.

And Unregistered, you can only get the mono CDs by buying The Beatles In Mono box set. You can't purchase any of them individually.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

if you're really interested in the history of the beatles regarding mono/stereo i have already read 3 or 4 detailed articles on it, so they're out there.

it was hilarious - i called Target to see if they got any of the Mono or Stereo Box Set and i could tell it was a teenager - "Mono?"

then again, i actually studied Audio Recording, so it's not something the normal joe would know or care to know about.

the top reviewed review on the Amazon for the mono box set is pretty detailed.

SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

I'm going to buy it. I agree with boon but i don't have a record player.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I do not own any beatles Cds. But I have every one of their albums on vinyl.

I think they are all in stereo though, except for Introducing the Beatles, which I know is Mono. They are amazing to listen to on a record player they way they were meant to.

I like the old stereo where vocals were in left speaker and guitar in right or whatever.

i think it has charm. and sounds better than today's stereo.

listen to the original hey bulldog on stereo record then on stereo cd and hear the difference.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

listen to the original hey bulldog on stereo record then on stereo cd and hear the difference.

i will if you give me one. Wink